Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pierrettedE

Default Eastern North Atlantic Shellfish Pearls

hello,

I'm starting this thread here because this is where it belongs. It's really a continuation of the "mussel pearl" thread in Natural Nacreous Pearls.

I visited Bear River, Nova Scotia today and had the privilege of photographing interesting natural pearls. They belong to a member of this forum named Scallop007, or Eric and some are really amazing so here is the slide show!

Pierrette
    Attached Images Attached Images      

pierrettedE

I have more... I am so surprised by the variation in these pearls. If any of you natural pearl experts out there have seen these before, please, chime in!

I'm particularily stumped by the blue and white ringed button and those mottled mettalics with much more lustre than the others. ?

Pierrette

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! When Scallop was talking about these, I was so intrigued. Gorgeous pictures of some wonderful, special pearls!
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

pattye

Thanks to you both, Pierrette and Eric, for sharing!!

Those pearls are truly amazing, I look forward to many more of your adventures and photos!! And insights into the pearl production. It is all fascinating. What may seem everyday to you, relating the details, is insightful and so interesting to me and many others on this forum.

Pattye
    so many pearls, so little time

scallop007

thanks for the visit and taking the pic's pierrette they turned out great.oh i found that purple scallop shell just after you left (typical of me to put something somewhere's and cannot find it ,lol) you guys come up anytime, the doors open.. really nice to meet you guys,, we will come down and check ya out soon ,007 A&E

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

These are wonderful pictures and they sure add an intresting note to this forum as even the experts don't seem to know much about these guys.

I am going to move the other thread too.

Thanks to Eric for posting and Pierrette for the travel and photos. Some of those guys are great!

I wonder if they can be drilled?
    Last edited by Caitlin; 04-23-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Hi eric
    I saw you posted May 5th, but you seem to have dropped out on us. Are you out on the boat?

I was really hoping to have a sample of your mussel pearls by now.....
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Valeria101

Quote Originally Posted by pierrettedE
    I'm particularly stumped by [...] those mottled metallics with much more lustre than the others. ?

These! ... other than looking nacreous to me too... it will surely be someone else that can solve this puzzle. Any chance there might be a survey of mussel species in your area that could yield the maker of those pearls by elimination?

Some of the pearls look very attractive, in a delicate way: couldn't imagine a drill through them, but would wish to see them put to wearable use
    Last edited by Valeria101; 05-28-2007 at 11:18 PM.

perlas

Interesting pearls! Quite a collection! Is it typical of the specie to have big chances of producing a pearl?

Valeria101

Quote Originally Posted by perlas
    Interesting pearls! Quite a collection! Is it typical of the specie to have big chances of producing a pearl?
    There was a bit of talk about this on the first thread... (that the environment does it to them, not that the species is more pearl-prone by itself).

If I remember well, there were at least three accounts around here of such natural populations prone to producing quantities of pearls: about the pipi, about the early cultivation in Mexico and this.

Don't know anything more than putting bits and pieces together and following the subject. Could be seeing things too.

...but, what a 'scandal' if it turned out that at least small natural pearls can occur in quantity - at least comparable to whatever 'quantity' might be expected from any gem material, rather than 'one in a million' or something. I didn't realize there was a problem, until telling the story to a friend who doesn't spend as much time reading gemology journals...

Basically, I would sure love to hear more, as usual

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Valeria: If virgin sharks can give birth ...
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

pierrettedE

Good morning!

It's busy season for us now. I spend my "real life" with pearls too... I am a jeweller, I adore pearls, I've spent countless hours reading, researching, examining, buying... It is my favorite material! Though I still do make custom & one-of-a-kind fine jewellery [can't lose that creativity!!] , I have developped a collection for fine handcraft galleries. It started in 2001 and now I've actually been able to hire an assistant -woohoo-and we sell to about ~20-30 galleries in Canada.

Anyway, all that to explain my near-disapearance from the forum in the past month.

I did get an email from Eric saying something about having "finally found a blister for Caitlin". I believe that he may be fishing at this point.

Pierrette

First-graft Pearl

These are amazing...thanks for sharing..we all like to look at pearls..any kind.

pierrettedE

Yahoo

I got a new Canon scanner. Not very artistic but very detailed. I will post a bunch of natural blue mussel (M. Edulis) and Atlantic Scallop pearl groupings later today.

The attached is of a pretty little mauve mussel pearl. It's about 3.2mm and comes from The Bay of Fundy, NS. Received from Eric Orde (Scallop007). It seems less round than it is to the eye but it's rather close-up too.

Pierrette

pattye

Hi Pierrette,

Just lovely pearl! Wish it was as large as the scan!!! Wonderful, rich color! Fun to learn about your business also! And I recall you also have some small children to keep you busy!! Would love to see some photos or scans of your designs, especially ones incorporating pearls!

Pattye
    so many pearls, so little time