Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1

    Default Identifying dyed pearls

    Hello everyone! I am new here - And have recently discovered Iím a pearl girl!

    I bought a GSSP choker which I love but would like to know if thereís a way to find out if itís dyed or not? I would love to read and learn from the community regarding this

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Hello Mischka, welcome to our pearl loving forum
    Most GSSP are not dyed, but there are some thermal processes that can enhance color in these pearls.
    Why not post a photo for us to see.
    Have a great weekend!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube


    Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CortezPearls View Post
    Hello Mischka, welcome to our pearl loving forum
    Most GSSP are not dyed, but there are some thermal processes that can enhance color in these pearls.
    Why not post a photo for us to see.
    Have a great weekend!
    Thank you so much! I have attached a picture taken at around 6:00 in the evening. Hope it helps!Name:  21CF5FFE-5BEC-4A2E-BD04-2087D6081E79.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  56.6 KBName:  21CF5FFE-5BEC-4A2E-BD04-2087D6081E79.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  56.6 KB

  4. #4
    Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Lovely golden color...great luster...they are very nice!
    From experts I've heard that it is very difficult to tell when golden pearls are treated to enhance their "goldiness" (is there a better expression???).
    Last year we had a discussion about dyed vs naturally colored pearls (The name of the thread actually shows down below in the "Similar Threads" section, under the name "Edison pearl vs the world) where our own Pattye stated this:
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-23 095247.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  18.9 KB
    And I totally agree with her.

    So, your best bet is to take your pearls to a lab for analysis OR have the seller provide you with a guarantee that the color is natural, which is something you would hardly need if purchasing from a reputable seller.

    Wish I could be more helpful...
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube


    Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

  5. #5
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,230

    Default

    Copying and pasting Pattye's post for people with older eyes, like me...

    https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...l=1#post230684

    "Cees, yes, I think you are correct about all these being dyed/color treated pearls, at least most of them.

    "I seem to recall that the conclusion about dyed vs natural color golden pearls is that only laboratory testing can confirm. Yes, some are clearly dyed, but certainly more easily identified in person compared to a photograph. Why it is so important to purchase from a trusted, knowledgable supplier.

    "The way color is dispersed on dyed pearls (more mottled with more colors) is usually quite different and often more intense than how natural color appears. The last photo is most likely all dyed pearls.

    "We can only learn so much from photos. The differences are subtle. There are no hard and fast rules, because every pearl is different.

    "There is nothing wrong with dyed pearls, only when it is not disclosed. A price being higher or lower can sometimes reflect whether the pearl is dyed or not. Cees, PP and Pearlescence are absolutely trusted sources when it comes to disclosures.

    "I wish you the best in educating your friend; perhaps she will consider taking the CPAA course, as there are discount codes making it available free. Right now the gem fairs and shows have been canceled, so it's difficult to find ways to see a variety of pearls in person."

  6. #6
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Town
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
    Thank you so much! I have attached a picture taken at around 6:00 in the evening. Hope it helps!Name:  21CF5FFE-5BEC-4A2E-BD04-2087D6081E79.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  56.6 KBName:  21CF5FFE-5BEC-4A2E-BD04-2087D6081E79.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  56.6 KB
    A picture with the pearls placed on a white background may help us identify if they are dyed or not.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CortezPearls View Post
    Lovely golden color...great luster...they are very nice!
    From experts I've heard that it is very difficult to tell when golden pearls are treated to enhance their "goldiness" (is there a better expression???).
    Last year we had a discussion about dyed vs naturally colored pearls (The name of the thread actually shows down below in the "Similar Threads" section, under the name "Edison pearl vs the world) where our own Pattye stated this:
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-23 095247.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  18.9 KB
    And I totally agree with her.

    So, your best bet is to take your pearls to a lab for analysis OR have the seller provide you with a guarantee that the color is natural, which is something you would hardly need if purchasing from a reputable seller.

    Wish I could be more helpful...
    Thank you!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pareltje View Post
    A picture with the pearls placed on a white background may help us identify if they are dyed or not.

    I tried taking some but it's a bit cloudy here and it keeps turning up a bit orange in my screen -Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.52.14 AM.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  7.2 KB

  9. #9

    Default

    Here's a slightly better one, I think.. just a tad of orange left

    Name:  164a98fe-4303-4a8d-8a14-688d4bf98a34.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  62.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  10. #10
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,610

    Default

    It is a gorgeous strand, love that last photo. It being dyed or not, a clue could be in how much it did cost. It could be a real golden south sea strand, undyed, but would likely be rather expensive. And you do love to wear it so that at least is good. I don't mean that it doesn't matter if it's dyed or not, I would be curious as well. Have you looked into the drillholes and on the marks of the pearls with a loupe, if you don't have any they are very useful. I bought mine on ebay for 10$ more than a decade ago and still haven't changed the battery (maybe I should do that). Maybe it doesn't work on that goldiness procedure that CortezPearls talked about, but very useful regardless.

  11. #11
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    6,665

    Default

    If they asked big money then I'd consider asking GIA for a certificate. I don't think they cost that much , when I get Hanadama certified it's like 50$ at the Japanese lab. Either way for your peace of mind and resale ( should you ever decide to sell them) it's reassuring .

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta View Post
    It is a gorgeous strand, love that last photo. It being dyed or not, a clue could be in how much it did cost. It could be a real golden south sea strand, undyed, but would likely be rather expensive. And you do love to wear it so that at least is good. I don't mean that it doesn't matter if it's dyed or not, I would be curious as well. Have you looked into the drillholes and on the marks of the pearls with a loupe, if you don't have any they are very useful. I bought mine on ebay for 10$ more than a decade ago and still haven't changed the battery (maybe I should do that). Maybe it doesn't work on that goldiness procedure that CortezPearls talked about, but very useful regardless.
    yes, I do love it! It cost a significant amount but I think it's more out of my curiosity and wanting to learn more about pearls.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    If they asked big money then I'd consider asking GIA for a certificate. I don't think they cost that much , when I get Hanadama certified it's like 50$ at the Japanese lab. Either way for your peace of mind and resale ( should you ever decide to sell them) it's reassuring .

    Do they just test 1 pc from the strand or the entire strand?

  14. #14
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Town
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
    Here's a slightly better one, I think.. just a tad of orange left

    Name:  164a98fe-4303-4a8d-8a14-688d4bf98a34.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  62.0 KB
    In the first picture here, it looks like the color is enhanced to me. As far as I can remember, I've seen such color a lot offered by gssp vendors in the Philippines.
    But have the strand tested by a lab just to be sure.
    Edit: I had a chat with Cees, he said your vendor should disclose the treatment to you.
    Last edited by Pareltje; 02-24-2021 at 04:29 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
    Do they just test 1 pc from the strand or the entire strand?
    For bead cultured pearl necklace like this, GIA will not do random test, they will test the entire strand. It will cost you $200 if the strand is below 20 inches.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2020, 02:12 PM
  2. Need help in identifying pearls
    By perlukall in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2020, 03:37 PM
  3. Help identifying pearls please
    By cara164 in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 12:18 AM
  4. Help identifying these pearls please
    By AKM in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2018, 07:01 AM
  5. Identifying My Pearls
    By Marcelle in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM