Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Huku View Post
    Yay! Love clasps.

This was a clasp thread in 'Other Stuff' a few years ago.
    Thread: Show us your clasps!
    No idea how to link it here, it is on about page 5 of 'Other Stuff' and it would be lovely to somehow combine these threads...?
    Great Idea! Lemme see if this can be done...never done it before!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Our own member, Anna Tabakhova, in 2017 published a remarkable book, CLASPS - 4,000 years of fasteners in jewellery. With fascinating photos and detailed drawings, several versions are available on her website HERE. I gifted it to myself a few years ago!

Anna is wonderfully creative with the interchangeable jewelry she designs using her cliclasp, too!

Look way down below for a thread she started about the release of her book ~

Apologies for going off on this subject! My favorite utilitarian clasps are the Orbit 2-pc, because they are so versatile and what I consider modern classic.

The vintage gemstone clasps are treasures as are the substantial gold clasps, from eras when karat gold was sort of reasonable. Really a treat to see your beauties!
    Excellent suggestion Pattye! Did anyone ever write a review of the book here on the forum? I don't have it so I cannot write one
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Anna's Pearl-Guide name is CLICLASP, so those interested in clasps can search for her here using that name. Also, the main thread about her book is located in the forum here under under Pearls>Books and Resources> and look for the thread titled: Pearls and Clasps, in "Clasps - 4,000 years of fasteners in Jewellry" which is the name of her book. There are 9 pages of clasp photos, media reviews and comments on the book, and also other clasp photos under her name CLICLASP from her earlier posts; fascinating and delightful. Our own PG friend Sheri J. had a major hand in helping with the French/English translations. I feel very lucky to have a copy of the book, although I never made it to one of the US presentations; WONDERFUL book.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love a good clasp. It elevates a pearl strand into a pearl necklace. For just basic clasps, I love orbit clasps. They're comfortable, easy to work, and you can daisy chain necklaces together, or hang pendants off the clasp. Plus, they look like cool links, instead of clasps.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Thank you so much, Cathy, for the additional information!

Douglas, as far as I know, there are no detailed book reviews. Cathy said it all, "WONDERFUL book." It's absolutely one of a kind!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Hi Rokor, great thread

For me, functionality of a clasp is very important. For instance I have a vintage brass filigree clasp, oh boy the click of the tongue as it is inserted mmmm! It puts many modern clasps to shame.
    The humble round bolt ring has been in use for hundreds of years, and still in use today ( all time favorite with me).

I have had made by my jeweller, a rose gold with garnet cabochon clasp, a solid opal and diamond clasp, both of these I dissect as I enjoy these on
    different strands. I have a lot more favourites for different reasons :-) and then their are the clasps that I can no longer source, that I canít part with.

BUT this clasp really is up there as a favourite. I acquired this when I first started my business of stringing, I often look at the clasp in both design and the functionality of the tongue ( not like the usual one). I have kept the clasp in itís original "as-worn" condition rather than reconditioning it, so that it keeps its story instead of becoming a shiny relic of the past.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see the very same clasp in Anna Tabakhovaís Book.
    Name:  clasp_book.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  83.8 KB

I gave Annaís book a rating of ten out of ten.
    I often use the book as a reference, more often than not I just love to sift through the pages and ogle the clasps.
    It is really terrific to have a comprehensive book on clasps that is well researched & written.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CLICLASP's Avatar

Hi Friends, thank you for quoting clasps, I love to read about clasps, of course. I will answer to 2 questions :

1- what is your favourite clasps : mine are antique Egyptians, they used 4 types of clasps and invented 2 : the box-shaped and the tongue in groove clasp
    2 - is there a review of the book ? Yes you can read it here : https://www.editions-terracol.com/en...9-in-the-media
    One is in "Jewellery History Today in London", the other in "Metalsmith Tech Nį 39 in USA".

And here is what readers said : https://www.editions-terracol.com/en...8-readers-said
    I like to quote The Victoria and Albert Museum in London : "it’s a triumph. Many congratulations!"
    and the National Gallery of Art in Washington : " truly spectacular".

But so far, no one on the forum wrote a review, time to do it ?

This book brought me incredible happiness, I went twice to USA for lectures, West coast and East coast.
    PG friend Sheri J. "la Corsetiere" made the translation and she did it wonderfully...

Yes that clasp "signs" the pearl necklace more than any other piece of jewelry.

PS: why not taking a moment to re-read again my old pearl story quiz ...
    https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...rl-Play-again-!
    Last edited by CLICLASP; 02-12-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    CliClasp

My book on clasps' history with lots of pearls in : http://www.editions-terracol.com/en/...jewellery.html
    My versatile jewelry : http://e-boutique.anna-tabakhova.com/en/
    My vintage coral : http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnlyVintageCoral
    Photo report on pearl exhibitions & museum (Paris, London, Berlin, Basel, Geneva ...) http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10427

Wow Ana! I revisited the old thread...to see Caitlin there (she is still very much alive when I read her messages) and to revive the "treasure hunt" you had us running...LOVED IT! (yet again!)
    And it is good to see you back here on the forum and sharing your passion and expertise with us all
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Waving Hi Anna! So nice to see you here Your book on clasps is one of my prize treasures, and I love to browse through; so so well done!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Anna's book is wonderful. Incredible research and history and of course lots of eye candy. Thank you Anna! And thank you Sheri for the translation!

I should try to read up what I can from the book, it's a shame I'm only just finding out about it now. It really seems excellent from what I've been reading so far!

I recently acquired another necklace with a clasp I thought I would share. It's done in yellow gold and jade and I was just 10 seconds shy of grabbing another similar one that was slightly larger.
    Name:  jadeclasp2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  103.4 KB

Next week I will be seeing a jeweler about placing untreated Myanmar "pigeon blood" rubies into my Sea Magic clasp. That or we will explore the option of Jedi Spinel, either should compliment the yellow gold magnificently and would be a great honour to own. I will definitely update as that project unfolds!

Please do so Rokor...in a different planet I would have been chosen as a Jedi apprentice, so I am looking forward to see that Jedi Spinel (I know nothing about spinels...so time to hit Wikipedia!). That jade clasp is very nice, love that creamy green color.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

OOO, nice jade clasp.

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Rokor, I have looked at your jade clasp a few times, drool worthy it is.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Masik's Avatar

Wow, what a nice thread!
    I have many clasps, I am always on a lookout for something unique and it is not a very easy find these days!
    Here is one - on my SoC baroque strand... 14K WG/diam, old cut.

Name:  134346251_434976761023387_8906278609516436414_o.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.1 KB

I will need to dig through my photos to find more pix of more or less unique and interesting clasps.
    But my favorite go to is this simple 14K YG one. Too bad Riogrande.com carries it only in this color and carat. I wouldn't mind it in white gold as well.

Name:  128684894_416763716178025_3289536634043200322_o.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20200823_163516.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  129556595_416650549522675_8350796431430670330_o.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  76.1 KB