Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Wendy, how interesting and great catch! That company owner needs to hire you as his pearl authority! How will this play out? Stay tuned folks~ Must say, I watched many hours of jewelry shows before I cut off my cable.

Cracks me up that Douglas recognized his gloved hand (and of course, the Pteria shell and pearl, lol). Thank you, Douglas, for linking to your blog; I missed this post first time around.
    I have a very recognizable -and sexy- gloved hand
    Of course, it might not be my hand...but I am sure I have the original photo and it was my hand...yet, I turned 51 years old and my memory is not what it used to be!
    Last edited by CortezPearls; 02-09-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Wendy, such a wonderful thread! I am so impressed that you picked up on this. And Pattye, I would know nothing about jewelry shopping via TV. One of the fun things to do during Tucson: watching the TV shopping channels broadcast live! And to Douglas, you're a mere child!
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

LOL...a child...I suddenly felt like "Baby Yoda"
    You know...he's but a tiny, big eared baby...yet he is 80 years old!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CortezPearls View Post
    LOL...a child...I suddenly felt like "Baby Yoda"
    You know...he's but a tiny, big eared baby...yet he is 80 years old!
    I'm laughing out loud. Well, that means you are wise, Douglas.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Update - boss of company investigating.
    Last edited by pearlescence; 02-10-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Further update. Just received email from the company's Commercial director:

'Id like to issue a correction to our audience. Airtime is expensive, but a loss of the trust and reputation we have built is to my mind much more costly. In this Id credit your role in bringing this to my attention, and thank the efforts of Douglas and others in what is not only a fantastic gem story but a conservation success also (conservation is something extremely close to my heart). Ill film this correction tomorrow, and look to play it out either this Thursday or the following at 8pm to achieve maximum reach amongst those who would have watched the first show.
    'The information was derived from a number of sources that are normally quite reliable, but will never be a substitute for speaking face-to-face with farmers and dealers at gem shows. I can only offer an apology for getting the species so wrong. I expect you miss the gem shows as much as I do!'
    I don't think anyone could wish for more as a correction, with the rider that obviously not yet seen the correction

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Well done, Wendy! Excellent outcome.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

I always have increased respect for anyone who can say plainly that they got something wrong

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Good job!

Still makes me curious what species is then the fantastic new producer of Tahiti-like pearls. Or maybe that will be withdrawn too. Makes you wonder what they had. Back at dyed FW?

- Karin

- Karin

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I always have increased respect for anyone who can say plainly that they got something wrong
    Absolutely! To err is Human
    Happy they will have this issue cleared...the least "Fake News" we have in the world, the better.
    Have a great day to all...and Wendy: well done!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by KarinK View Post
    Good job!

Still makes me curious what species is then the fantastic new producer of Tahiti-like pearls. Or maybe that will be withdrawn too. Makes you wonder what they had. Back at dyed FW?

- Karin

- Karin
    I believe they were over-blowing Cortez Pearls capacity. The pearls are beautiful, but they do not compete -in my eyes- to Tahitians. It's a niche pearl!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Great work Wendy, I actually snorted when I read this.

My rule of thumb is, if its being raised on Etsy, Ebay, or any tele-marketing channels, and it hasn't been previously written about in the Pearl Industry or Technology news - then it ain't worth reading or watching as in the TV channel here.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    And so true, to get an apology these days when some folks get things plainly wrong is like trying to find the proverbial Unicorn.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well I'm just catching up to this ... Well done Wendy ! And good on them for correcting their mistake. Their reputation is obviously very precious to them and I'm sure they were very pleased to have had their mistake corrected.

I had told a story here a long time ago about shopping in NYC at Bergdorfs - looking at the jewellery dept. They had a YOKO strand of stunning WSS Tahitian and Edisons 13-14mm pearls.... Listed for sale as South Sea and Tahitian. I commented that the pink pearls were Freshwater. .. the salesman said.. no they are South Sea. Then called the manager. He also said they were south sea and checked the information on their computer. I said , well they are Edison Freshwater pearls from China and you might want to verify that given the 50k price tag.
    30 min later I was in the shoe dept and the Jewellery manager scurried up to me and said ' thank goodness I found you ! I called Yoko and they confirmed the pink pearls are Freshwater Edisons. Thank you so much !" Reputations are hard earned and should be protected.

I agree Katbran!
    It takes time to build a good reputation and you can lose it in the blink of an Eye!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

That was nice they were going to correct it on the next showing, but what about the people who already bought them thinking they were rare and something else?