Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

we're family here StarryPearl, and would love to have you aboard
    And yes, a great place to share your love for the pearls you wear is the "Show us your Pearls" thread.
    And just like dear CathyKeshi said: do take advantage of the Free "Pearls as One" course...if you love pearls it will only DEEPEN your love and knowledge of our unique watery gem.
    Have a blessed weekend family!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    The terms are sort of vague in my head. I think of undertones as the base color of the pearl, and overtones as the shifting colors I see on the surface. I think of orient as the mother of pearl effect, which is similar to iridescence. Then there's luster, which I think of as how shiny or dull the pearls are. I'm sure I've gotten some of it wrong.

I don't think orient is used much any more. I think the word originally came from oriental pearls.
    This is how I understand the terms, too.
    I feel that the base color/undertone of the pearl never changes, but the other factors can change with the quality of the light. For example, Tahitian pearls seem to look best on rainy days, the diffused light is flattering to them.
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks CathyKeshi, CortezPearls, and ennui.

I conquered my procrastination and enrolled in Pearl as One course as it's so strongly recommended!

As to the terms, does base color equal to undertone? - Or maybe I will find answer in the course.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

No hard and fast rules, we just love pictures of pearls, happy to see them anywhere!

Post in Show us your pearls too. Since you started with a ‘question thread’, I’m glad you followed up with a They got here! thread because that’s a really timely and exciting follow-up, and easy to find. I’d say when you knot them, follow up on this thread too, so we get to see the clasp and all. We’re always kind of greedy for a neck shot (which would be nice on this thread) but now that I’ve got wattles, I understand the reluctance.

But, here are 2 hints if you need them. If you’re young, save them for later because we hope you’ll still be here.

1) if you want a face-front neckshot, we sort of get our faces framed, try to hold still and then tip the head back, snap the photo and edit.
    2) you can frame your face and neck, then turn your head sideways, take the photo then edit.

3) borrow a young person. This is maybe the hardest one, because they aren’t always handy.

Then once you start wearing them, you post them on Show us your pearls in action, different days, different outfits if you feel like it.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

Beautiful pearls, look forward to the neck shots...
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Thanks for the hints, Lisa. And thank you, Huku.

Here comes the semi-finished necklace with 14kt clasp. I should have bought smooth instead of satin finish clasp if I had seen the pearls in person first. Name:  IMG_0875.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  200.6 KB

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Ahh, what a deep gorgeous blue, SP! Be ready for compliments and admiration that you strung them yourself! Well done!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Ahh, what a deep gorgeous blue, SP! Be ready for compliments and admiration that you strung them yourself! Well done!
    Thanks to you, Pattye, and your kit!

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

We are happy to have you join our Pearly Family StarryPearl
    Pearl People are Great People!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

What blues!
    Thank you for sharing and look forward to the neck shot.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Yummy blues!