Default Help with an intricate pearl “bib”?

Does anyone have any tips on where to start with this one? I have done 2 and 3 layer pearl strands when they go all the way around, but nothing with so many layers and graduated. It is a type of stringing I would love to perfect, and now I have a customer who has given me the opportunity to play.
    Is each loop strung individually or start from the bottom and work my way up?
    Any advice would be amazing! Thank you in advance!
    Name:  5FCC1010-5FB3-4204-868D-9E177EBDA41B.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  105.7 KB

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

This is really pretty, Camhatch. This type of bead woven netting requires multiple passes through some of the beads. This can be difficult with pearls as their drill holes may not be large enough. You would need to try the required number of passes on the pearls as you lay out the pattern. This necklace begins with the top foundation chain (where the clasp is attached) and works on down.

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Wow. This would be quite an undertaking!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Thanks for your tips Marianne! I haven’t even seen the piece in person yet, just got sent the photo yesterday. Will try and get hold of it to gauge how big the holes are etc.

I know Douglas! Even my husband says not to take this one on

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I agree with Marianne and Douglas.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

As a vision check - does everyone else see 2 or possibly 3 shades of pearls in the design?
    I think I see creamy white, pale blu-ish white and silver?

Or perhaps you’re going to repair it, not replicate the whole piece?

I’m in awe.
    Last edited by lisa c; 01-13-2021 at 01:08 AM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Hi Camhatch, If you are new to off loom bead weaving, you might find the book Creative Bead Weaving by Carol Wilcox Wells helpful. She has very complete, well illustrated and easy to follow directions on multiple types of bead weaving including the netting technique used in your photo.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I am thinking the biggest challenge will be to make all the sizes match to a flat and even design. Just doing a necklace with 2 strands can be a challenge to get just right in terms of nesting. This has to be perfect in terms of 'nesting' as well as perfectly symmetrical.

- Karin

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I am thinking the biggest challenge will be to make all the sizes match to a flat and even design. Just doing a necklace with 2 strands can be a challenge to get just right in terms of nesting. This has to be perfect in terms of 'nesting' as well as perfectly symmetrical.

- Karin

Hi lisaC...yes I’m repairing it, not replicating! But great eyes seeing the colour differences!

Thank you for the book reference Marianne...have already come up with some great Pinterest references for her!

And Karin, I know what you mean! A triple strand, graduated pearl piece was a challenge, this one is next level!

I’ll be getting the piece on the weekend so no doubt will have more questions then.

This is very cool! I wonder if the owner has the missing pearls, and if you’re going to put on a different clasp. I saw one spot on the upper right where a bigger pearl might be separated or maybe it’s just the light. Thank you for posting this thread!
    Name:  5C604C20-C762-41E5-B948-E7CB7D189E9C.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  106.9 KB
    Last edited by lisa c; 01-13-2021 at 11:25 PM.

If those pearl colors really are different, and it’s not my eyeballs or brain...well, the subtlety! Awestruck.
    ok, I think you said you see it too. Seriously, I want to do the respect gesture and touch the artist’s feet. Maybe getting too emotional, but the older I get, the more wondrous the World looks.
    Last edited by lisa c; 01-13-2021 at 11:39 PM.