Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

All I've ever known I have seen are falcons. This is very cool!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Pattye, dear Lord, did you witness Carlos being snatched? How awful, if you did, but maybe you saved his life? That poor baby! I’m glad he survived. Nature sure can be harsh.

Is there a way to change thread titles? I’d love to change it to ...(Not)eagles, because they aren’t eagles, and speed-readers might miss that, since I precipitously announced that they were eagles.

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Is there a way to change thread titles? I’d love to change it to ...(Not)eagles, because they aren’t eagles, and speed-readers might miss that, since I precipitously announced that they were eagles.
    I believe I can...let me try (never done it before!)
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Hey, you did it! Thank you Douglas, to infinity. I know it’s not an encyclopedia or anything, I don’t know why it matters so much to me to be accurate, since I make so many mistakes - but I’m grateful to you. You’re a peach!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

How thrilling to see those massive birds in your treetops, lisa c. Look forward to more photos.
    Eagles, hawks, falcons, goshawks, they are all magnificent to see up close. Those eyes and talons and the effortless gliding in the thermals.
    And the other birds are so brave to defend their patch. Not sure I would have the courage!! We know when a bird of prey is around our place because all the other birds let each other (and us) know.
    We often see sea eagles at the beach and the occasional wedge tail eagle in our neighbourhood, otherwise we are most fortunate to see a variety of glorious coloured parrots, lorikeets, cockatoos, galahs and rosellas around the house.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Hi Happy Huku! I’m so glad to hear what you had to say, I had no idea birds talked to each other across groups so I find it thrilling!
    Also on a walk I saw our building bird-watcher, he confirmed the red-tailed hawks, and he pointed out their home tree, and also the peregrine falcon tree...also that the property owner put different feed out.

At my old house, the birds would feed in my backyard, but in uniform groups. If there was cross-talk I was too ignorant to recognize it. They were all relatively small, and seemed to take turns guarding and eating under and within a wild rose bush. The cardinals were the flashiest. The block had feral cats, so I used to wonder why the birds weren’t more nervous. Happy birding, everyone.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Pattye, dear Lord, did you witness Carlos being snatched? How awful, if you did, but maybe you saved his life? That poor baby! I’m glad he survived. Nature sure can be harsh.
    That would have been AWFUL to see, Lisa, nobody in our family saw it happen. Fortunately, Carlos slowly healed and lived 4 more years! I should have finished my story ~ we need happy endings these days!

Charlotta, fascinating how the water comes right up to those mossy boulders.

What exotic colorful birds inhabit Australia, Happy Huku!

More stories and photos, please!
    Last edited by pattye; 01-19-2021 at 05:07 AM.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Hey, you did it! Thank you Douglas, to infinity. I know it’s not an encyclopedia or anything, I don’t know why it matters so much to me to be accurate, since I make so many mistakes - but I’m grateful to you. You’re a peach!
    Ow...shucks! Made me blush
    I'm always happy to help. It's my calling, so anytime Lisa C!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Yesterday I took a walk to our local mangrove forest. It was teeming with bird life and I had to chance to admire several white pelicans, egrets and...the Spoonbills. Many people believe they are Flamingoes due to their pink feathers and long necks and legs, but they are quite different. The photo (taken with my phone) simply does not capture the details...but it was so nice to be out there and see these splendid birds
    IMG_20210227_171739705.jpg
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

What size are these spoonbill, Douglas. I remember my surprise at how tiny flamingoes are when I saw them in the park in Kowloon
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

800px-Roseate_Spoonbill_-_Myakka_River_State_Park.jpg
    Aren't they gorgeous?
    Photo from Wikipedia BTW.

If they have their head up they would probably reach around my stomach.

More info from the Audubon Society
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Gorgeous color!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Beautiful photos CortezPearls. That bird is so cool.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Nope, I didnít see any pictures of eagles like what Iím seeing.

I think itís a honking big juvenile red tailed hawk! Itís got the creamy white chest from right under the yellow bill, and not huge talons, and an intricate brown and cream pattern on the back. Time and more sightings will tell.
    But if itís one of the hawks from down below my building, why are the crows and the blue birds screaming and triangulating only now? Why not before? What a glorious world full of research to do!
    Attachment 77089
    This photo is from Wikipedia.
    Your original picture does look like a red tailed hawk-- we have many here in RI as well and I see them often on my property as I live in the woods. It also could be a Cooper's hawk which are more brown-- but you would would see horizontal stripes on the tail of the adult.