Default Origins of Berber wedding pearls...

Iv seen examples of antique North African Berber wedding jewellery,which contains masses of small pearls.Does anyone have any ideas where the pearls have come from?Would they have been freshwater or saltwater? There is a short section in Kunz
    “Book of the Pearl” on Pearl harvesting in east Africa,but Iv been unable to discover anything else.Any ideas would be welcome

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

Can't help you there, barbaradilek but you've piqued my curiosity and I'm going to google...
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Very similar to the Hindii pearl tradition
    Africa has a few sources of natural pearls:
    South Africa has a small pearl oyster called "Cape Town Pearl Oyster" or Pinctada capensis.
    Then you have the "Red Sea" with a magnificent "Black-lip" known as the "Red Sea Pearl oyster", actually a subspecies of the Tahitian shell: Pinctada margaritifera erythraensis.

There was a researcher by the last name of Reed that started growing pearl oysters in Sudan back in the 1950's I believe. His papers are very interesting. I could not find the articles (I had them in print) but Jeremy posted this blog entry you will find very interesting.

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Found it. From 1964.
    But you need special access to read the whole article. You can visit the page here.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Thanks so much for your comments,and the link to the article.So many amazing stories out there hidden in academic papers.A friend in North Africa is sending me some Berber wedding jewelleryAs soon as I get it I will post some photos,they might give a few clues...Barbara

We are awaiting for your photos and information Barbara!
    Have a great weekend
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

following with great interest