Default Pearl found in Puerto Rico

What type of pearl is this? I was free diving for lobster in Puerto Rico and found what I believe is a pearl. Itís almost perfectly round, white, and has a rainbow overtone. It is around 12-14 mm. Iíve attached photos Name:  5AB0E6DD-FFDE-4F4F-A586-9CCCDD65B23E.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  94.8 KB

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Hello Surfer2020 and welcome to our forum!
    Interesting find! Please give us more information...you were diving for lobsters and you found what seems to be a pearl, but: in what kind of animal did you find it?
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

It looks like sea glass to me, not pearl, but I could be wrong.

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    It looks like sea glass to me, not pearl, but I could be wrong.
    Yep, or some kind of ceramic...but since we were not told from what kind of animal he took it from...remember "Prawn Pearls"??? Also, there are "otoliths", so there are people that kill a large lobster or a fish and they find "pearls" that are not pearls at all, but used for stabilization and guidance system in fish and some invertebrates.
    I recently had a call from a man who found a "large white pearl" (20 mm, perfectly round) next to a train track in the desert...heck, he actually found two! And he wanted me to tell him it is a pearl worth a million bucks! I told him I believe it is a ceramic bead.

But let's wait until Surfer2020 comes back and tells us more info...even if it is not a pearl, it could be a fascinating biological tidbit. Nature...its surprises you ALWAYS.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Hey Doug! Thanks for reaching out. I did send you a message on Instagram as I am having a bad time posting photos to this thread. I found what I believe to be a pearl of some sort. When I found it it was in a rock bed/shell bed, not inside a creature. It did have a brown sticky substance attached to it that I scrapped off with my finger nails in the water. It is white to the eye, but when light hits it there is a rainbow overtone in one spot, the rest white. I donít have a scale here in PR. Or I would weigh it, it is very heavy for its size, just smaller then a dime. I will post photos tonight from my computer for you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images