Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh dear,I thought I’d sent a message which is flying about the ether,so here we go again.I haven’t got aUV light,so will have to beg or borrow one to find out if my little pearls glow red or orange.Pearlescence,looking through my loupe the letter looks more like a lower case h,and the dates that match for English marks are1863,which you said is too early,then1903,possible?) and 1923,which looks a too angular font.I candled a few pearls from each strand,and there isn’t a clear demarcation line between the bead and the nacre,which seems to point to the fact they could be early cultured pearls who had a lovely long life in their oyster before landing in this necklace!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  87.4 KB the image I hope I have downloaded I took in artificial light,all the other images on this thread were taken in natural light.This is the first time I’ve ever taken phots on my I pad,so delighted that cam through!

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Good for you to own such a lovely treasure!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Incredible, you got those images with an iPad? Well done! All said and done, that’s a large, sort of unwieldy tool, and you got some great results!!!!

It’s a new iPad as my last one got dementia and ran out of memory.It terrifies the wits out of me,sends me indecipherable messages( what is cut and paste?) and even had the audacity to tell me to refresh my widgets! I did t know I had any,let alone that they needed refreshing.Pearls are far more restful...

Oh, Amen to that! Terrifying.

I tried to print out something at the library yesterday, had to change psswds, it was like trying to get into Fort Knox. Now, today, google says my phone is ‘new’ and I need to finish setting it up! And this is Apple, a real intuitive gizmo, a phone I’ve had for 2yrs, and been able to use. I feel like I’ve lost 50% of my IQ, in less than 24hrs.

and, I hate my new password. I only like my old ones, but they get rejected - no recycling! It’s for your own good! Yes, yes, yes.

cut and paste has been my nemesis Forever!!!! Everyone says it’s simple, just need to practice, and I believe it - But.
    Last edited by lisa c; 12-24-2020 at 01:14 AM.

So, is the thing that looks like a single tower with a full moon to the northwest, a letter then, not a tower?
    and the mark with the flat top and the shield looking bottom - that’s not 3 - crowns, or fleur de lis? This is wonderful, but what are they?

Now you’ve got me really confused! Are we talking about minuscule icons on your ipad( and I’m with you all the way about passwords!) or the hall marks on my necklace clasp? If it’s the latter,looking at it with a loupe until I went cross eyed,at the top is the so far untraceable makers mark,H& SL,then at the bottom is 9,375,which are the 2 marks for 9ct gold ( in US it is kt)The next letter is the date mark,which seems to be a curly h,then a blob in a cartouche which by the outline would only fit the London leopard mark,but I could oh so easily be wrong!After all that I bet it’s your icons you are musing about......

Thank you, I was musing about your clasp marks. I’m grateful for your answer; I was getting all romantic about quiet jewelers in Scotland, with a view of isolated towers, moors, moons, etc.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

The @ symbol is actually very old - going back several hundred years and used in relation to measurements or counting. ( thank you Google)
    Really lovely pearls !