Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Second chance pearls

This Pearl strand was covered in gunk when I first saw it,the clasp was so dirty you couldnít see the individual pearls in the settingThe silk was stretched and had frayed completely from the clasp.Now cleaned and restrung I love them to bits.The clasp is marked for 9 ct gold,dated for 1886,and has a London makers mark.Name:  1C17C455-23EC-485F-86B0-AAE6C83AEFEF.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  133.0 KBName:  1C17C455-23EC-485F-86B0-AAE6C83AEFEF.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  133.0 KB

Sorry,computer numpty here ,sent two identical pictures....Back to the Merlot!!

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Wow! Very nice! And the brooch/clasp has what I believe to be natural Cortez pearls!
    The orient and luster on the golden Akoyas (I believe these are Akoya) is absolutely great. This is a fantastic find Barbara! Congratulations
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Oh my, just look at that luster, Barbara! What a treasure!! Exquisite clasp and so awesome that you were able to date it by the maker's mark.
    Excellent job restringing, too!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Wowza!!!! Can we get a neck shot. Those are gorgeous. And I love the clasp.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

With what I assume is a full hallmark on the clasp you should be able to identify the actual maker - every gold or silversmith has a unique mark - mine is my initials in a cartouche shape. Which Assay Office has marked the piece?
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member multichrome's Avatar

Just wonderful in every way. I’d love to know about the hallmark, too. That’s one of the good things about antique and vintage precious metal jewelry of British provenance: being able to get so much reliable info from the hallmark. Enjoy them and wear them in good health!

Thanks so much for your positive comments,The makers mark is H@SL,and I’ve tried all the British hall marking sites but can’t trace it.I will try and download som more pics if I can find out how..( I’m new at this lark) The folks that restrung the strands( Gift pearls in Nairn Scotland who are amazing!) phoned me and asked if I had ever had them examined as they thought they were” pretty special” but as I’m not interested in price,and couldn’t afford to insure them if they were “special” I will just enjoy them,and be happy that you can see their value,and not wo

That can't be a victorian makers mark can it? @is a modern phenomenon (I could be wrong).
    Can you do some sharp close ups of the markings?

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

That’s a beautiful necklace, what a treasure!!

That's incredible! I'm mad for victorian starbursts! The pearls are wonderful and the clasp is fabulous!

Pearlescence is right about the @ icon,I miss typed,it should have been”&” which the Romans first used.I’ve endeavoured to add a photo of the clasp.If it’s not worked,sorry for the indecipherable set of numbers....Name:  image.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  82.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Great pics!
    Did you try the UV test on the pearls found on the clasp? The colors are amazingly Cortez...would love to see if they fluoresce in pink-red
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Clearer. The last stamp could be a London Assay leopard head and then next to it a date stamp. You need to go to the website and look up A (?) in exactly that shape.
    But way back when the level of fineness was marked with different symbols, not 375, which is quite recent.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Have you tried backing the camera up a bit, taking the picture, then enlarging the image? Sometimes playing with distances and cropping can make a world of difference.
    (I make sincerest apologies, if Iím giving advice to a professional photographer)
    Sincerely beautiful capture of the pearls! Iím enjoying each and every pearl.