Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Richard W. Wise

AnA,

Great stuff. I was interested in reading Streeter on pearls and looked for Pearls and the Pearling Life for years before finally purchasing a copy a couple of months ago. A month later it shows up online.

Best use of the internet I can think of. Still would have bought the book, beautiful edition but expensive.

thou shall read the book Senior Guide Member effisk's Avatar

Has anyone read that book: http://www.amazon.com/Pearls-Ornamen.../dp/0671759280

A visually stunning, one-of-a-kind history of the shimmering, lustrous object of beauty that has mesmerized humankind for millennia. Featuring 210 superb photographs, 168 in full color, Pearls traces the evolution of the pearl from sacred icon to timeless aesthetic symbol, a history that spans 4,000 years. Shrink-wrapped.
    What is it worth?

Slraep

Hi Effisk,

I just finished reading it. It's got some very nice old black and white photos of Japanese women pearl divers that impressed me. It is big, so it makes for a good coffee table book.

The wife of Mr. Mikimoto's successor has written an introduction to this book, so make of that what you will.

Regardless though, I enjoyed the book and it is worth having in any pearl library. Lots of pics, lots of info, but don't expect any kind of indepth discussion of unusual collector pearls or how to culture them.

Hope that helps.

Slraep

Slraep

thanks for your answer.

I think I am more interested in the technical publications. I bought People & Pearls in August last year and I still haven't finished it, but I avidly read all the bulletins from the SPC. They started again to publish the bulletin in November 2006, after a couple of years off.
    http://www.spc.int/coastfish/News/POIB/POIB.htm

I will pass for that book by Kristin Joyce for now and invest in the English version of Strack's book.

Slraep

Hi Effisk,

I am going through all the SPC bulletins like a kid at a candy store!
    Double thanks for the link.

Slraep

Quote Originally Posted by Slraep
    Hi Effisk,

I am going through all the SPC bulletins like a kid at a candy store!
    Double thanks for the link.

Slraep
    no worries

For some reason I thought everyone here knew about these bulletins.

The new editor, Paul Southgate, has been involved in the Port Stephens Pearls and/or the Coral Sea Pearls project at some stage, which we discussed last year on the board.

anyone can point me some sources to read about south sea pearls environment? and emerging technology, etc??? thanks. I'm tempted to to read most of the books mentioned, but like to know more about upcoming things.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Hi In my current collaborative Wisconsin History Magazine project about a significant pearl rush in Wisconsin in 1896 lots of historical information concerning N. American pearls has come to fore.
    I have found the Aude book sellers site to be loaded with reprints and used pearl books. The Kunz book sells for 950 to 2200 dollars no doubt depending on the condition. I just purchased a 1913
    reprint. I have a Doctoral thesis copy from the 20's being sent to me. Interesting.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Default Wisconsin Natural pearl

we'll see if this shows up It is a natural wing pearl from Upper Mississippi River
    and the gauge shows the length and the mirror shows the bottom side.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    All the following books are available at huge discounts online and are also available in local libraries

The Book of the Pearl by George Frederick Kunz and Charles Hugh Stevenson
    reprint by Dover Books, $17.95 new.

Pearls: A Natural History by Neil H Landman, Paula Mikkelson, Harry N Abrams 2001 $55.00 new.

Pearl Buying Guide: How to Evaluate, Identify and Select Pearls & Pearl Jewelry by Renee Newman, International Jewelry Publications; 2004

Which of these books would you recommend for iding a pearl to species or at least to family? Are there even pearl dichotomous keys in existence?

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Pearls by Elisabeth Strack has dichotomous keys. Maybe get it from the GIA? Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.
    The natural history book is large with great photos. I forget the text, and the book of the pearl is best for the history of natural pearls, up to 1908 when it was published. It was the best of its kind until Strack came along and also included cultured pearls.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Pearls by Elisabeth Strack has dichotomous keys. Maybe get it from the GIA? Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.
    The natural history book is large with great photos. I forget the text, and the book of the pearl is best for the history of natural pearls, up to 1908 when it was published. It was the best of its kind until Strack came along and also included cultured pearls.
    Sounds like the Strack book is the way to go for now; thanks, Caitlin!

Quote Originally Posted by madsciencechik View Post
    Sounds like the Strack book is the way to go for now; thanks, Caitlin!
    If anyone has a beat up, used version of this book and wants to sell it, please contact me! GIA has it up new for $130-, way out of my price range!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madsciencechik View Post
    If anyone has a beat up, used version of this book and wants to sell it, please contact me! GIA has it up new for $130-, way out of my price range!
    Look on used book websites such as Abe Books, half.com, ex-libris and others (there are so may to choose from out there) to see what they have Be diligent & check often as used book prices vary all over the place. Good luck!

Cheers

Ash
    Cheers,
    Ash

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I never heard of anyone letting go their copy....Maybe when the new edition comes out. This book is expensive, but you will never need another one to become an expert on pearls- or at least look up anything you want to.

I don't have spare dollars for much of anything, including pearls, but this book is worth every penny. $130 is about what it has always cost- including shipping.

You might find your dichotomous keys online from a malacological site or even a seashells for sale site. I used to be on an academic list for malacology, but I can't remember its name....
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.