Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I never heard of anyone letting go their copy....Maybe when the new edition comes out. This book is expensive, but you will never need another one to become an expert on pearls- or at least look up anything you want to.

I don't have spare dollars for much of anything, including pearls, but this book is worth every penny. $130 is about what it has always cost- including shipping.

You might find your dichotomous keys online from a malacological site or even a seashells for sale site. I used to be on an academic list for malacology, but I can't remember its name....
    Good idea, Caitlin; I'll have to do some interweb searching for some sites using that keyword since "pearl dichotomous key" didn't yield much of anything.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

try Unios for freshwater and pinctada for saltwater. There are more genera for saltwater mollusks than pinctada, like the Pterias, but this should get you started!
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

found this website today that has nice pics of pearls with their shells and the scientific names!
    http://http://www.shanghaigems.com/site/natural-pearls/

Hi
    I know this is an old conversation, but I’m looking for recommendations for Pearl books.
    I finished CPAA course and Renee Newman's book, Pearl Buying Guide 6th edition
    I still think there is so much more to learn. What would be a good reference to keep learning.

Thanks everyone,
    Jenny
    DTailsULike Owner
    @DTailsULike: Instagram,Pinterest,Facebook, Twitter

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

This specific forum -- Pearls Books and Resources-- is a treasure trove of the very kinds of book recommendations you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    This specific forum -- Pearls Books and Resources-- is a treasure trove of the very kinds of book recommendations you are looking for.
    Thanks!
    Jenny
    DTailsULike Owner
    @DTailsULike: Instagram,Pinterest,Facebook, Twitter