Default Traditional gift?

I have just bought some pearls from an Indian lady who had them sent from India as a wedding gift.I havenít received them yet,so no photos,but the strand is 10 1/2 inches long,on gold wire thread,and presented in a smart long velvet box.The pearls are small baroque shapes,but have a very noticeable orient.There obviously are not enough pearls to even make a choker.Is anyone familiar with this kind of gift? Would there be a meaning behind giving pearls,but why such a short strand? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.Barbara

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

From you description, I imagine there is a chance that they are natural pearls.

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Hello Barbaradilek on a Scottish Nature Reserve, let me tell you what I think you have...some 10 years ago I had a customer from India who was buying these very small natural pearls (1-3 mm) from me to make this strand...every year she would buy more to keep "growing" the necklace. She gave me a name for this kind of jewelry but unfortunately, I have forgotten the word
    Anyway (and I could be mistaken) she told me that an Indian girl would start her necklace at a young age and keep adding more pearls until she married, or she had a daughter. I really wish I could remember clearly.
    She never told me the significance behind it and I -foolishly did not ask- but if you think about it, you can picture many nice things about this custom...I imagine I could say to my daughter something like "I started this necklace the week you were born, and added pearls just like you added inches and experiences...and now it is yours to keep and to add upon with more experiences".
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Thanks so much,both of you for a quick reply,I’m sad that the lady didn’t care or know about the significance of her pearls,but delighted that I can treasure them.I will endeavour to post photos once they arrive,though my skills are lamentable...even if they are not “ natural” every Pearl is a unique gift from nature.Barbara

The pearls have just arrived,and hopefully here is a photo taken in dreitch Scottish afternoon lightName:  image.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  98.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Very nice golden tint to them...and good luster too! What size are the pearls?
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

The pearls are all about 5mm across and 3 mm long.They have some flashes of orient,mostly pinks and golds,but the photos I took look creamier than the pearls are in my hand.The cord that they are attached to is very fine wire,not thread as I was expecting.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

In the USA I think the contemporary interpretation of the tradition was called Add-A-Pearl.

Had to edit this paragraph after going to their website. Sometimes I’d see people selling the unstrung Add-A-Pearl pearls on ebay, with the paperwork and such. In the States the brand started with natural pearls, became more associated with cultured once they became viable and reliable.

i think it’s time for me to google this, and find the custom’s source.
    Last edited by lisa c; 12-24-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Those are gorgeous. I could see stringing those, but having chain for the back part. Or having them made into a tin-cup style with a little chain between each pearl. Or string them as a bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    In the USA I think the contemporary interpretation of the tradition was called Add-A-Pearl.

Had to edit this paragraph after going to their website. Sometimes I’d see people selling the unstrung Add-A-Pearl pearls on ebay, with the paperwork and such. In the States the brand started with natural pearls, became more associated with cultured once they became viable and reliable.

i think it’s time for me to google this, and find the custom’s source.
    Yup! You got that right. The "Add-a-Pearl" jewelry. I had forgotten about this rage some years ago...or was it decades ago? But things have a way of being recovered and renewed all the time
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I like BWeaves suggestion of keeping the pearls together and adding chain across the back to complete the necklace. Because the pearls are small, keeping them together will give more presence. The luster and irregular nugget shape are wonderfully appealing! You have some rare beauties here!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Just had a lovely email from the vendor who told me she got married in India,and was given 2 of these strands from relatives,She has kept one for her daughter,just as was suggested.She also said that in the region she comes from” real” pearls are a traditional gift for a bride.

Quote Originally Posted by barbaradilek View Post
    She also said that in the region she comes from” real” pearls are a traditional gift for a bride.
    Yes indeed, that is exactly what I was told too...but in their language "real pearls" are what we call "Natural Pearls" which are just as "real" as "Cultured Pearls", but we all get the meaning.
    A good story always adds value to everything
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno