Default Request for Experienced Opinion for Novice Pearl Buyer!

Greetings-

I am buying a matching set of 7.5 - 8.0mm Akoya Pearl necklace and earrings as a Christmas present for my wife.

Main problem is I don't have any real experience with the purchase of pearls.

I have ordered and received pearls from The Pearl Source, and a second set from Pearls of Joy.

They are both rated at AAA, and are both supposed to be 7.5 - 8.0 mm. In the attached pictures, I have used a micrometer on the upper set of pearls, and they are indeed within spec. The first difference I see is in the color. The pearls do match well with the associated earrings.

There was a significant difference in price for the two strands, and I was curious if there is anything I should be considering when making the final selection. I don't want to identify the supplier of the strands to begin with, as I am curious to see what I should be looking without knowing who I am purchasing from. I will identify them later in the thread.

All informed opinions are welcome, and thanks for the help!

Regards,

- Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Hello Tom, and welcome to our Pearl Loving Community
    And if there is anyone that can help you with sound advice are our pearl experts: Let us wait for their advice to pour in!
    Last edited by CortezPearls; 12-14-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Cut out info
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

The luster seems a lot sharper to me on the inner pearl strand. For Akoyas, I would rate that highly. There also seems to be a difference in the tone (sorry, can never get the correct words right). The outer strand with the slightly larger pearls but less luster seems a bit yellowish to me which would be unusual in Akoyas so it might be the pictures. I am not sure if the inner strand is pinked or natural white. This tone of the pearls can be important in terms of which one suits your wife best.

Personally, I'd go with the inner strand because of the luster. If I saw them together, I would be disappointed with the larger strand. That being said, larger pearls costs more, and they do appear to be larger, so you may have to pay quite a bit more to get the same kind of luster in that size.

You might want to keep both until after Christmas, wrap your pick but let your wife make the final choice.

- Karin

KarinK-

Thank you very much for the feedback!
    Your observations are what I was thinking. The colors are as you describe them, i.e. the photos are a pretty good representation as they appear to the eye- the inner strand has a pinkish rose hue, and the outer have a more of a light cream/yellow tint. I do not know what color/tint is considered to be of higher quality, and what is to be expected of of Akoyas.
    One deceptive thing in the photo is that the pearls are actually very close in size- I have now checked both with a micrometer.
    The inner strand's luster is clearer/sharper than the outer- the outer have a nice luster as well, but not as bright and clear as the inner.
    The outer strand cost about 40% more than the inner, but I actually find the inner strand to be more attractive.
    I will probably follow your advice, and just let the wife choose from the two (while presenting the inner strand as the gift.)

Thanks for your help.

Any other thoughts/opinions are welcome!

-Tom

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

With regard to rose vs cream, it's my understanding that any preference depends on the skin tone of the person wearing them, and not any perceived value. For example, olive skin tones may prefer rosier pearls, while fair skin tones might like the creamier tones.
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Or visa versa. I've found I really have to try pearls on to know if I like them. Pearls I didn't like in the box, suddenly came alive when worn.

Thanks for the feedback- it is definitely appreciated!

My wife has a fair complexion with very dark brown hair (almost black).
    I could see the rose looking good with her complexion, and hair for that matter.
    The cream may be a little 'washed out' looking on her fair complexion, but it may be just the opposite.
    Of course, what she wears would have a bearing as well. I'm getting in above my pay grade now!

I believe the best course will be what was suggested before. Present her with one, but let her choose from either set.

My main concern was that I want to present her something of 'quality', i.e. something that does not have an obvious flaw to them.
    e.g. I did not know that pearls could have a rose tone to them. I knew of the white/cream, and black, but not the rose color.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I would say the difference in luster would be worth the difference in the price tag. It's kinda why you would buy Akoya in the first place A lot of people buy high-end freshwater pearls (Freshadama) instead. Unless they are metallic, they will have a luster that is not quite as sharp. They also cost less than high-end Akoya.

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

And Tom...when you get your purchased item...please share a photo and tell us what you thought of how it all "played out" between your wife and the pearls...how did the colors work out?
    It is nice to know always!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

left one seems to have better luster, and maybe color, looks more white, if we can think white is better.
    I prefer the best luster, not necessary the white color, but luster looks better for me.
    It would be interesting to make better shots, the problem with low grade cameras is pearls shapes tend to look off.
    On left,real shape, on right, shape tends to be oval when you go on picture edge.
    Name:  perles.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  11.6 KB