Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Every mm in diameter that the pearls increase in size doubles the weight of the pearl. So if you're used to wearing 7 mm pearls, then 8 mm will weigh twice as much. When I first got my natural white Hanadama rope, they were 8 mm and I was used to a rope of 6.5 mm pearls. Boy those Hanadamas felt heavy. But I got used to them. Now I wear ropes much heavier, because PSS (pearl shrinkage syndrome) set in, and now I can't get them big enough.

If you're not feeling the natural white Hanadamas, try the regular pinked ones. You may find them more flattering against your skin tone. Try metallics and Freshadamas. They all have a different look, although the weight will be the same for the same size pearls.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

This may help you to understand the relationship between the diameter of a pearl and it's size/weight:
    Comparative pearl sizes-- how much difference does 1mm larger really make?

1mm makes more of a difference when pearls are small than when they are larger. Thus, a 6mm pearl really does weigh nearly twice what a 5mm pearl does.

As pearls get larger, however, an increase of 1mm in diameter makes less of a difference. An 8mm pearl is 49% larger/heavier than a 7mm pearl; a 10mm pearl is 37% larger than a 9mm pearl, and a 14mm pearl is only 25% larger than a 13mm pearl.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-11-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Thanks for the link to your wonderful pearl calculations, Pearl Dreams. I need to print and laminate it for quick reference!

Thanks for the full, correct information PD. I was just giving a rough estimate, as it's always surprising to put on two necklaces or earrings and notice the weight difference. But you do get used to the weight.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

pearlgirlbella2, I think that your cannot go wrong with 8,5mm white hanadamas. You will get use to the weight (and more) and personally I prefer white akoyas to pinked ones. It's a staple and goes with everything.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

If you don't LOVE them, and it sounds like you don't---send them back!! It's not worth keeping them. You have to love them. I personally prefer akoyas that have been pinked-- they turn white against my skin. I don't like the stark white of the natural Hanadamas. Since everything is returnable at PP, why don't you buy yourself a strand of the regular or baroque akoyas and compare them to each other, on your skin, and send back what you don't like. I believe there is no charge for shipping both ways. For a woman in her 60's ( as am I), 8.5mm akoyas are appropriate and you will become accustomed to them as well. You may very well think they are too small as you age!

Good idea, I could try the akoyas, 18",even though I already have an 8 mm in 26" and a 3-7mm graduated 20", so need something everyday 18"... I was thinking of the freshadamas, but they may also be brilliantly bright... I'll look at the akoyas and think I'm returning the hanadamas...

Well I ended up looking at the hanadamas again, only now looking at the white, the pinked variety... They don't have an 8mm, only 7.5 to 8 and 8.5 to 9... I prefer the smaller for everyday and comfort and price, but find myself drawn to the larger... I could also buy the freshadamas and the AAA akoyas to compare... Would be best to wait till I can visit the store, but not sure I can wait...

I find that most white freshadamas are not brilliantly white. The can lean towards a softer silver or ivory or subtle pink. My white freshadamas are not nearly as blinding as my natural white Hanadamas.

You really need to order each type, compare them, and send back what you don't want. If you time it right, you'll never have to "pay" for them as you'll get your refund from your credit card before you need to pay your balance.

PP sent me samples of ones that are more rose, ivory and gold in freshadama, Akoya and hanadama to exchange for my current very white freshadama... I do like the white, original ones, just afraid they're too white for my pale skin. The new ones all look the same to me! at least in the pictures... all lustrous, all beautiful... I'm leaning towards ones not too rose... any thoughts? and thanks for everyone's remarks...
    they are in order: freshadama, Akoya and hamadama....
    Name:  freshwater 2.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  68.6 KBName:  akoya 2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  96.9 KBName:  hamadama.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  119.9 KB

There are 5 strands there. Can you identify each one please, from the top?

I do have to say they all look fabulous, except I do not personally care for the strand 2nd from the bottom. Maybe it's the lighting but it looks yellowish to me.
    I like the middle strand the best. But since you are trying to avoid pink, maybe the 2nd strand from the top for you. What is that one?

Each photo has five strands of the same type of pearls:

top photo is all freshadama;

middle photo is all Akoya and

bottom is all hamadama...

I'm not trying to avoid pink, just too pink, and I read here the pink blends into some skin color and doesn't look too pink... so may not even be an issue...

I get you now.

Let me flip that first photo (Freshadamas) so that they're easier to compare.

Name:  pearlgirlbella2's photo of Freshadamas.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  52.3 KB

I like the top and middle strands of the Freshadamas and the middle strand of the Hanadamas.

Are you sure those are all different types of pearls? All three photos look like the same 5 strands to me. They do look like Hanadamas, but the same 5 Hanadamas. I like the middle strand the best, and the 2nd from bottom (the yellow one) the least.