Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hanadama vs freshwater vs freshadama

I am new to this site and in the throws of deciding between an 18" Hanadama (natural or white??) or freshwater (freshadama/Pearl Paradise, or gem quality, or elite - I live near PP, Purepearls and Pearls of Joy)... It's hard to choose online, sight unseen... I have a 3-7 mm, 20" akoya graduated and a 26" akoya strand... and am looking for an everyday, beautiful strand... I am leaning towards getting the freshadama, gem or elite now, and Hanadama when I can go and try on... I am partial to the natural but read conflicting info about what it looks best on; I'm blonde/blue eyes/pale which can work for or against this pearl I read.
    Help!

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Hello PearlGirlBella2 and welcome to our Forum!
    Yikes! Decisions on buying beautiful pearls! I would be torn as well

IMO: You already own several Akoya pieces...why not splurge on Freshadamas?
    Regarding skin color: I think all pearl colors look great on all skin colors...but if your skin tends more to the pale-white, maybe golden colors, pink overtones or silvery body colors would be better for you?

I am sure you will have more answers shortly! We have a beautiful pearl-loving community here
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

I agree with CortezPearls. you have two white round strands. Wear them and consider instead a strand of coloured pearls. Mother nature gives us many beautiful shapes and colours of pearls. If you are considering akoya budget why not think instead about some lovely multicoloured Tahitians?
    The only way to really tell what colours suit is to hold them against skin.
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I have both Freshadama necklaces and natural white Hanadama rope, and regular Hanadama stud earrings from PP.

All are beautiful.

The natural white Hanadamas are super shiny and have a slight pink and green glow around the edges. My regular Hanadama earrings are very shiny and pinked. When worn, the pink isn't really noticeable against skin. My Freshadamas have a softer, more satiny glow. The freshies I got are very white, because they needed to match the old akoya pearls in my my grandmother's pearl clasp. But if I were to get Freshadamas without needing to match other pearls, I'd go for ones with more pink and green overtones to them. Or I'd go for metallics, which usually are not round, but are incredibly shiny with lots of mother-of-pearl color.

When I wear my Freshadamas and natural white Hanadamas together, everyone thinks the Freshies are real and the Hanadamas are fake, because the Hanadamas are so mirror shiny. I find it amusing.

I also have baroque akoyas from PP, which are actually very round and smooth, super shiny and lustrous, and they match my Hanadama stud earrings, because the baroque akoyas are also pinked. Since earrings are usually pretty far away from my necklaces, I don't worry about matching the earrings to the necklace. I find that just about anything goes. My favorite combination is black and white Tahitian studs from Kamoka, worn with my natural white Hanadama rope. The studs are actually one dark eggplant purple stud and one silvery blue stud. The contrast is striking.

I was also a bad girl this morning and snagged this amazing metallic freshwater necklace from Kojima:

https://kojimapearl.com/products/not...pearl-necklace

Kojima has a sale on starting today. 22% off. Sarah's necklaces are usually more artsy than PP and PoJ. After I had some classic strands, I started to really go for the unusual styles. I've been stalking Kamoka, Kojima, PP and PoJ for days lusting after various pearls.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 12-06-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks all. While in pandemic mode, will keep looking from afar... and at the more affordable freshwaters (freshadamas). I'm now just not sure how big to go? 8mm, 9mm or more?

I am partial to ones I see on The Crown, especially Camillas, will upload photo once I figure out how, and the graduated ones worn by Diana (though she's an ingenue, so may not work for me in my 60s). I also have a 13-15 mm baroque kasumi I got on Etsy, which I thought was too big way back in Feb. but now find it's not too big, but too heavy. I do like the kojimapearl site as well... and lovely necklace purchased from Kojima!

I am planning on a Tahitian strand, but none of the sites seem to carry a bluish variety now, or at least one in my price range... I don't want one too dark or green ...

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Just to help you how to easily upload photos:
    Use this image to help you out. Use the "Advanced Post" option, write your text and when you are ready to insert the photo head over to the top-rightmost part of the "Menu Options Icons", use the one that looks like a Clip with a document. Click on it.
    Name:  Screenshot 1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  19.5 KB
    A new "window" or pop-up shows up, and you can then select your image/photo, UPLOAD it and finally make sure it is selected to be inserted it INLINE.
    Name:  Screenshot 2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  18.8 KB
    Hope this helps a bit!

Have a great Sunday everyone
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

I think I have figured out how to post a photo... Name:  image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  49.3 KB

Looks that way! Well done pearlgirlbella2
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

These are the pearls I mentioned in my previous post.

Today I'm wearing a double strand of Freshadmas from PP. I got a very white Freshadama to match the akoyas in the old clasp. I'm also wearing a rope of natural white Hanadamas from PP. All are 8 mm pearls. My earrings are Mikimoto AA set in white gold.

Name:  IMG_9044.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9045.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  143.0 KB

Interesting thing about the Mikis. If the pearls are set in yellow gold, then tend to be pinked. But if they're set in white gold, they are very white. I own these earrings in both white and yellow gold, and there's a definite difference in pearl color, although surface and luster is the similar.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Interesting thing about the Mikis. If the pearls are set in yellow gold, then tend to be pinked. But if they're set in white gold, they are very white. I own these earrings in both white and yellow gold, and there's a definite difference in pearl color, although surface and luster is the similar.
    Interesting thing to know BWeaves
    These are small details that may end up helping a lot of people when deciding on a pearl variety over another. Great tip!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Thanks for sharing! Lovely.
    Well I did it, I purchased 8.5 mm hamadamas from PP (Pearl Paradise).. (PP could also be Pure Pearls, right?) Anways, they're lovely, but may take getting used to... they are very white, very bright and a tad heavy... It's hard to buy something so pricey online, as I wish I could compare next to the freshadamas... or others... not sure if I should keep or not... my other akoyas are pink, or much smaller... so these are different that's for sure...

Name:  pearls.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  81.2 KB. Here is a pic of the hanadmas; they are also a tad short, 17" ... should be 18"... I don't mind the shorter length but you pay for every inch... hmm. Here they are next to an 18" Akoya pendant I purchased from Pearl P. earlier this year ...

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

From your photo the finished necklace appears to be almost 18". Before being knotted up with a clasp, the loose strand is about 16". I say "about" because a strand is made up of a series of individual pearls -- it's not continuous the way a chain is continuous-- so the exact length of a strand may vary a little. This is normal.

As to the very white color, how do they look on your neck? Does the color flatter your skin?

Yes, they do almost look fake; they're so perfectly round and white... I think they take some getting used to... Not sure how they are against my skin... They're not bad.. But for the price they should be great... Ideally I'd go in a store and try different ones to compare and have someone give me feedback. My husband says they are great, but I think he'd say that about most pearls. He's bought me 2 pearl necklaces and they're fine on me and I didn't try on or compare... I'm just a difficult shopper I think...

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Be sure to look at them in different light and with different tops. The appearance of pearls is very much affected by light conditions, and being reflective, the clothes you wear can be reflected in the pearls.