Default Found Quahog Pearl

Good Morning All,

First time poster here and looking for some advice. I was advised to make a post on this forum by "Pearl Paradise" website as I found a pearl over the weekend while catching wild clams off the coast of Cape Hatteras, NC, USA and looking for ideas of possible value and what to do next. I found this Pearl and after much research I understand that it is a Quahog pearl. This Pearl is dark purple and perfectly shaped with no chips, scratches, discoloring, etc.. I also have never dealt with jewelry or Pearls in my life so I am looking for advice on how to not be taken advantage of. I have seen these wild caught saltwater pearls going for anywhere from $500-$50,000 if placed in rings or necklaces. Most pearls seem to be selling alone for $2500-$6000. I have done plenty of research this week and have no reason to lie about this find as I have plenty better to do haha. I am located in Virginia Beach, VA and looking for advice if there is anyone close to me or I do not mind traveling for a proper assessment. I am trying to attach pictures which shows both sides of this Pearl. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Nice find!

You could contact Kari Pearls:
    https://www.karipearls.com

and The Pearl Collector-- I can't find his website any more but I see he is on Etsy.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/thepearlcollector

Remember that you would be selling to people who would be reselling...so you would not achieve the retail prices they sell at.

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Welcome to the Pearl-Guide community FishNC252!
    Hey that is exciting...to find a natural pearl is a unique experience. This one has a very nice shape, good luster and deep dark color.
    I am very familiar with natural pearl prices of the species that live in my area, unfortunately not with Quahog pearls.

For this, I would recommend visiting my friend's Brendan Breen's website: Mercenaria Pearl.

There might be a pearl in the weight (in carats) and look of yours and you can get a rough estimate of its value.
    Hope this helps!
    I am sure some of our other members can shed additional information
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Remember that you would be selling to people who would be reselling...so you would not achieve the retail prices they sell at.
    Yes! I agree with Pearl Dreams...your selling price would be at least 50% off unless you can find a final buyer.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Thank you very much for the replies so far and the welcoming. I catch about 1200 clams a year for family dinners so I will definitely be keeping a better eye as I shuck them from now on! I have tried to contact the Pearl Collector and Kari Pearls. It's been a week of no contact from the Pearl Collector, both email and voicemails, but I messaged Kari this morning and hope to hear soon.

Thank your replaying and the welcoming! I have tried to contact The Pearl Collector but have not received an email back or return phone call from the voicemail I left. I also contacted Kari but nothing in return either. Hopefully one will return my call shortly. I just left a local jeweler but they did not appraise Pearls but he did say based on what he knows about Pearls that the shape and color will make it worth some money so we'll see!

Good Luck! And keep them eyes posted on them Quahogs!
    If you find another pearl, please be sure to share with us!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno