Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Default Update on Walter

A few have asked about our new adventure with Walter, so I'm posting just a very quick update for those who know Walter personally from Ruckus adventures. As you may remember, he badly broke his ankle and leg the end of May. He was doing fantastic until about a month ago. Sudden and sharply declining health with alarming symptoms, repeated ambulance trips and 2 hospitalizations, where one minor infection in his leg was treated. I pleaded to no avail that something else was drastically wrong. After a weekend visit from our daughter and paramedic son-in-law, every red alarm bell we could ring was ringing, yet the hospital sent him home with "Find yourself a neurologist and a behavior doctor, he has severe Parkinsons like symptoms and dementia symptoms". Really??? In 4 days? NO. I don't think so. Next day, another ambulance ride to a different hospital, a lot of long hours and a young doctor in a crowded, double parked hallway finally listened and ordered a CT scan. Walter STILL passed all the obvious stroke tests. BUT, BP was VERY low, and so we waited and finally got the word he had a Brain Bleed, likely related to the fall and the blood thinner he takes. Antidote to the blood thinner was ordered, and a stay in ICU trauma to observe, but hopefully that was all necessary. I went to the car to let my daughter see him while we waited for him to be moved, and she came running back out for me. Neurosurgeon on the phone, reviewed the CT scan, TWO brain bleeds, OR cleared and immediate surgery highly recommended to preserve what they could ... yikes. He was gone the moment we kissed him; the ink not dry on my signatures, and his comment to "fix my brain and get me rid of this headache". Exactly one hour later I had a neurosurgeon sitting on the floor holding my hand and telling me he was already extubated, in ICU with drains to relieve pressure and doing well. By noon the next day, ALL the symptoms we'd been seeing were gone, and Walter was Walter again. He's now been in the step down trauma unit for 4 days, disconnected from everything, carefully monitored, walking in PT for his leg, and hoping to be released to come home very soon. he has no side effects so far except tiredness and sleep deprivation; motor skills back to normal and ... medical personnel are talking about Walters again . My 13 year old grandson diagnosed him better than the first hospital: "My PopPop has a seismic activity in his brain"! We take each day as a gift, but he's been asking about you all, so I said I'd let you know . Yes, I'm a bit tired . And yes, Pearls helped as did all your wonderful posts keeping me company through many a long sleepless night; thanks friends.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Oh, Cathy. Well done with your persistence and finally getting a doctor to listen and take action. On top of everything else, we must now be doctors and diagnose our own illnesses. Scary.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

What a nightmare experience for you all, Cathy. Prayers for continued healing for Walter and some good rest for everyone. What a special family you are! Cheering you on, Walter!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Better not give him your phone # Pattye, or he'll be calling you . His own cell phone is broken, the hospital phone leaves a lot to be desired, and he's still somewhat mobility challenged, what with the giant boot on his broken leg, and needing to have assistance to get up and down at all times. They even have an alarm on his chair ... I wonder why LOL ... and I wonder why I never thought of doing so LOL. But mostly because the fall risk is high because it's 2 to a room, and the room is PACKED full with a crazy big bed, a table not even the nurses can figure out how to work, chair ... even I have to navigate with great care. My daughter, son-in-law and grandson have been wonderful. Needless to say we've broken quarantine, but we still try to wear masks as much as possible, even in the house. But when the 13 year old is snuggled next to you on the sofa asking you "how is my PopPop?" and has 3 dogs piled around him ... We left him here, home alone with all 3 dogs when we followed Walter to the hospital. I left him a list of numbers to call, friends and a neighbor alerted to check in with him, and the passwords to use my laptop. My daughter threatened to have MY brain checked . But he was here from about 2:00 in the afternoon till 11 at night, and we didn't lose anyone, but ... there was a LOT more dog fur on the sofas than when we left! Haven't yet found anything installed on my laptop that wasn't there before, although he did get me to download a game on Sunday after he 'did some research for me" LOL.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Walter sure is a fighter. It gives me tears in my eyes thinking about the trials you both been through. I am so glad that everything looks better now. So good that you have your family with you. In my opinion quarantine is to avoid doing things you don't absolutly have to, but in this case I think that your family is important for both of you. My thoughts are with you and your family and I wish for Walter to have a speedy recovery and for you to get some rest and time to not being worried.
    Last edited by Charlotta; 09-02-2020 at 12:00 PM.

What a terrible ordeal y’all had to go through but what a blessing that you found a doctor who listened!! Family is a blessing and I’m glad your Walter is on his way to a full recovery!! Praying for him and your family!!!

Oh, goodness, what a terrible ordeal! But such a relief that he is on the mend now! I don’t know you or Walter personally, but my thoughts are with you both!

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

Dear Cathy and Walter,
    I don’t know how you manage to make an adventure out of everything! Fortunately you have your family, your perseverance, your sense of humor, and your pearls! Take good care dear friends. You have been in my thoughts.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

My heart was in my throat reading your post! I'm so glad you got someone who listened, finally.

Prayers for full recovery, and no more incidents!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Oh, Cathy! What a nightmare!! Praise God for your perseverance & finally getting to the real problem! I have never met Walter but I'm praying for you both & having a speedy recovery! I cannot fathom the 1st hospital's misdiagnosis! Thankfully the second hospital caught it. My heart goes out to you both. I'm glad you have family to lean on & who can help you through.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar

Oh Cathy, thank you for the update! I was wondering how Walter was doing, and had no idea of what was going on. I hope there will be no more surprises. My love and best wishes, to you and to Walter!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Oh Cathy, I am so glad to know that Walter is now on a road to full recovery!! Sending both you and Walter my love and hugs.
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Oh my Lord. Terrifying. I’m so glad you didn’t lose him. Praying always!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

That is one hard-fighting family. Even the youngest is a trouper. Sending lots of love and healing thoughts!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

Oh, Cathy, so many huge huge hugs to you and to Walter. My mom has been fighting the same kind of battles with my stepdad's docs. Go you for your ceaseless advocacy. I'm so glad it made a difference. Hooray for on the mend!!