Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lisa, I am not in PA but Texas now. However, I lived in NJ for many years and my brother and his family live in Carlisle, PA. The watchmaker and his son are "old school" watchmakers/repairs and though they take at minimum 2 months to repair movements and minor cosmetic repairs they are upfront about the timeline. On really unique pieces it can take much longer to find appropriate parts. It's called Old Time Watch and Clocks in Allentown, PA. The photo's are of some of my watches. IMHO, I think smaller and more ornate watches were used more by women, but size depended on era is important to remember. Then older the watch the bigger because the movements evolve to be smaller and smaller over time. Guilloche is basically a transparent enamel over an engine-turned engraved pattern(I have even seen spiderweb patterns), whereas enamel can be transparent or opaque but there is no patterning under. Faberge is probably most famous for his work, but there are several excellent Scandinavian makers as well. If you look at your watch there is examples of both the body is guilloche and the dial face is white enamel. The really neat thing is both are basically melted ground-up glass.

Karin, Yes, it can be addictive. Name:  IMG_8089.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  79.3 KBName:  IMG_8087.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  100.2 KB

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Wow, thank you for the information! I was going to look it up myself and I thank you for the start! Oh my, and the pictures - what a treat!!!! I did wonder at the beauty and precision of the repeated pattern. I was going to credit people with super-human talents!

Are you doing ok in Texas? I guess there’s a horrible disaster always somewhere on the globe, like the fires in CA.

I know, Karin! I’m an inveterate collector. I’m controlling myself - my Rule is going to be Fix what I’ve got first. I just like owning beautiful things.
    Last edited by lisa c; 08-28-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

OOOO< I love pocket watches. What a great collection.

Lisa, Thank You. We are fine, just passing thunderstorms yesterday. BWeaves, Thank You. I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to watches. They are all working except for the green guilloche one. The large gold hunter is probably the oldest and has a key to wind it. The most unusual is the small ball which is hallmarked Rhodium/Platinum Metal and my jeweler said it was a very strange way of marking platinum as rhodium is not a workable metal and far too expensive. My favorite and one I wear often is the silver on a chain.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar

Lovely pieces, gigi, lisa c! I love enamel. I have an art deco enamel watch, which is lots of fun, but on a long chain it's hard to wear -- it keeps banging into things. The locket I think has faux pearls, and the lace pin real ones.
    Name:  art_deco_enamel_watch3.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  70.7 KB
    Name:  enamel_lace_pin.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  100.3 KB

How odd, the locket and the other side of the watch didn't load. Try again:
    Name:  art_deco_enamel_watch1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  92.3 KB
    Name:  silver_enamel_locket.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  126.8 KB

OOOO! Wow! What amazing pieces! The brooch(and the pearls) are gorgeous and the color transition of the enamel leaves is really remarkable. I really LOVE the lavender guilloche locket, you don't see a lot of that color either. And the deco watch is fantastic. You have almost all the enameling examples right there. Then there is Plique a jour and Cloisonne....ah, so much to jewelry to love!

I was looking all over for this watch... finally found it. The back is in lovely shape, but the front is missing some enamel. I took a close up so you can see the engraving on the metal under the enamel.
    Name:  enamel_watch_back.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  enamel_watch_front.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  81.6 KB

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

What artistry, what treasures, thank you for sharing such beauty, Ladies!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Lisa that is absolutely stunning !!!

And the tiny pearls can be hard to find at most wholesalers. I was looking for some 3-4mm ( which is not that small) and most places didn't have them -They were to repair the Crowns on some religious statues for someone. At the HK show there is a company that seems to deal only in teeny weeny pearls - amazing to look into the bins filled with these loose pearls. Makes you want to run your hands through them .

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Oh, I love pocket watches. These are beautiful.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

So Katbran, are these teensy pearls all jumbled together, or sorted by colors and quality like bigger pearls? What a thread, I’m rating 5 stars here, it’s such an interesting thread!

linda, I’m ogling your watch now, it looks like it has gold elements? The band and stem parts on mine are sterling. I can hear the oooohs and aaaaahs as we absorb these works of art. Happy sighs.

Lisa c, the back of the turquoise watch is marked sterling, so I assume it is gilt or vermeil. It has never worked; I bought it for the enamel. The art deco watch does work, and is fun, except the chain is so long it is a bit of trouble. I often wonder about the people who wore my older pieces. For this one, i am sure they never had to unload a shopping cart!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

They are all sorted by size and grade . Really interesting to see... I'd go blind trying to match them !
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    So Katbran, are these teensy pearls all jumbled together, or sorted by colors and quality like bigger pearls? What a thread, I’m rating 5 stars here, it’s such an interesting thread!

linda, I’m ogling your watch now, it looks like it has gold elements? The band and stem parts on mine are sterling. I can hear the oooohs and aaaaahs as we absorb these works of art. Happy sighs.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Oooh, I dearly love everything in this post! Guilloche enamel is fascinating to me, I've always wanted one of those ladies' pocket watches, but never managed to find one myself in a sweet spot of condition and pricing . Gorgeous pieces, ladies, just gorgeous! I'd quite forgotten about the watch/clock shop in Allentown, Gigi! I used to stop in there, after I took a clock repair class a number of years ago, to pick up an occasional part or a gallon of cleaning fluid. I only ever worked on bigger clocks although my grandfather did all kinds. I was just thinking about calling there in fact, as I have a cuckoo clock being stubborn, and an antique family clock that's run for generations suddenly refusing to run. More often than not, a good cleaning will fix most issues, sometimes a minor part, although with watches, it can get WAY more complicated. Thanks for the fun post ladies!!!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi