Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Default Anybody here ever wake up startled to a bad haircut?

Eh-yup. Thank you COVID and the dis-inhibition of Ambien.

Apparently I couldn’t stand it another minute, and dry-cut it with dollar store scissors.

Thank you very much, Inner Child.

Well, at least Inner-Adult made me stop at a blunt cut.

After one coffee and checking it out with my glasses on...it could be worse.
    Last edited by lisa c; 07-17-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Oh nooooo, I see layers, and abused ends. And bangs. Thank God for coffee and earrings...
    4F0D3CEF-70A5-43FE-87D7-4BC9BF78F0F2.jpg
    Last edited by lisa c; 07-17-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Lisa,
    Who's going to notice a haircut with those glowing earrings on ??!! Self haircuts are a Sunday morning folly for me; but I do expect to make it through this weekend as I was able to get an appointment next week! Whew!! It's a crazy life these days ~
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Sigh. They are pretty nice, aren’t they! And I’m not the only one who chops, thank you Pattye (kiss, kiss, kiss!). and thank God for hairdressers, high five. Mine hasn’t called back yet, but my fingers are crossed.

Late nights are vulnerable times. I used to trim (read— snip-slash) my hair after I got home from a late date as a teen, too. Patterns. Do you think guys chop at their hair, too? Maybe they trim mustaches or beards, and then wake up with bald patches. Idk.

Well, there are way worse things. Nothing here that coffee and earrings can’t fix. And Bobbie pins. Maybe some hairspray, to hold it back. I look like I have 2 long floppy-dog ears, standing still. I have to stick my head out a car window, I think. Catch a breeze.
    Last edited by lisa c; 07-18-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Pearls blind the eye to bad haircuts. Especially THOSE pearls!

I've cut my hair 3 times now while self quarantining. I have a pixie and good hair scissors I bought from Sally Beauty Supply years ago. Plus a couple of mirrors where I can see the back of my head. Not as good a cut as a professional, but Greg was impressed and said I wouldn't scare any children or small animals.

I've been cutting Greg's hair for years, so after suffering with cheap drug store scissors, I bought some expensive hair shears and boy does that make cutting hair so much easier. Good hair shears are seriously worth the expense. I think mine cost $50 years ago. I also have some thinning shears my aunt gave me, because I have very thick hair, and they help a lot.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-17-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Pearls blind the eye - good news, that!

GregWho said that??? High praise, indeed! But! We can’t be twins unless you let me borrow him. I’m now composing a list of people I’m borrowing, and negotiating time-shares. I promise, I’m not putting people into CathyK’s daughter’s freezer.

I’m puzzled because it’s been 5 minutes, and no interest has been shown in time-sharing husbands.

What brand of scissors did you get, B? I’m wondering about buying some online, but not sure. My xMIL used to own salons, and she gave me a really nice pair when she got older and she found them too long and heavy to wield. Gone now, and they were feeling too long and heavy for me too, a few years ago.
    Last edited by lisa c; 09-02-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Time to layer up on the pearls! My neighbor cuts my hair. It's long so she keeps the ends trimmed up real good. With hot weather, I wear it up or pulled back in a high ponytail. She does my color too. She doesn't charge me since I let her dogs out during the weekdays when she's at work. Plus I'm always taking food to them since she doesn't like to cook some things her husband likes to eat. LOL

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Lisa C, I have no idea what brand. They're marked Taiwan and that's it. My shears have 2 inch long blades, so they are 5 1/2" shears.

Go on SallyBeauty.com website, search on shears, and only consider the ones that are $50 or higher. Read the reviews. I've never bought from Sally Beauty online, so I don't know how they are. I have a Sally Beauty store right around the corner from me so I could feel the scissors in my hand to see how they fit me.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-19-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I began cutting my hair when my daughter was 2, and never looked back. I have shears from Sally's, too but I'm sure I didn't pay a lot for them. Plastic handles. The mark reads "Fromm 550".
    I think 550 means they are 5.5" long.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 07-18-2020 at 03:17 AM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

LOL! I wake up the morning after taking Ambien to discover all the things I purchased the night before.. Since I’m in the high-risk category and have been sheltering at home since late February, I’ve had to color and cut my own hair. I wear it in a chin-length bob so it isn’t too hard to cut, except for the layering In the back. I think I do a pretty good job but I’m sure my stylist will disagree.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Iíve learnt to give up on the idea of a bob and love my ponytail this year. I had one cut and colour about six weeks ago when I just couldnít face the regrowth - the works, with treatments and foils and toners and all the rest - and Iím not sure it was worth it. The whole time I was thinking ďHmm, I could buy a nice freshwater pearl strand or upgrade a couple of clasps to karat gold for what this is going to cost me...Ē

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Long hair, no color. I get it trimmed about once every 9 months. Cut my own bangs. I love the freedom and no-expense

Karin. Sigh. Do you really want to tell us this? Are you trying to provoke an edgy group of women with scissors in their hands?

Oh, SydK, sister! we know we’ve crossed the line when we weigh every thing we do and translate it into ‘pearl currency’. Well. We knew we were there a long time ago. I can’t go back, I don’t want to, you guys are too much fun over here.

PearlDreams - don’t go there without telling everyone how gorgeous your hair is, too. Curly and lush, we can see little peeks in your photos!

ParrotLady - color it too? Respectful Hush. You are so brave. And Ambien - I know! I used to think the Ambien Legal Defense was horseradish, but after this surprise haircut, I’m sold.

86C , can I borrow your neighbor? For a week? Weekend? Overnight? Can we work out a timeshare, then. I need to be fed, and have a haircut. I can sous-chef for you.

I can’t remember my last haircut. I was ok with letting my hair go, for COVID, pulling it into a twist, French braiding, but all of a sudden a frenzy hit. I couldn’t bear all the time and weight of shampooing it and getting it squeaky rinsed.

Make a note to self - don’t putter about after ambien,
    Disaster This Way Lays. Or

Don’t Stay Up, It Only Gets Ugly After This....

I love all of your stories! I was feeling so alone....
    Last edited by lisa c; 09-02-2020 at 08:16 PM. Reason: And thanks for the advice about scissors, love you all, like looking for brands!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Lisa, you have me rolling on the floor laughing and crying! And after this week, 2 emergency visits to the doctor for Walter and still some nervous fussing over an un-healed incision spot ... and then he HELPED!!!!! me with the grocery order. YIKES; it made twice as much work for me, although he meant well!!! I so badly needed that laugh. We love you Lisa, we love you.

My hair, SIGH. Wavy, curly but only with a good cut, usually done by an old friend in her home salon. Haven't seen her since December. When she cuts, she highlights and frosts so the greys in there aren't so noticeable ... we pretend LOL. Now, it's long, layers grown out and on a bad day looks like a witch's hair from a childhood tale ... after the witch stuck her finger in a light socket ... IF I curl gel for a good day, and apply a few judicious combs to the top layers, it's tolerable ... until the gelled curls get caught in my mask strings LOL LOL LOL. I have 3 pair of scissors sitting by my desk; I haven't decided which to use yet ... YET.

OF COURSE we weigh all purchases and expenses by converting to pearl currency first ... doesn't everyone ?????? And doesn't EVERYONE base each new clothing purchase on what pearls it will go with ????????????? Pearl people are the best, from the growers to the sellers to the designers to the customers.

And my eternal THANK YOU to Jeremy, Kevin, Caitlin and Blaire and Pearl Dreams and all the other mods and behind the scenes people who bring us this fabulous Pearl-Guide space to share LOVE.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi