Default Freshwater Necklace... yellow/gold ?

I was shopping yesterday at Greenhills, and the vendor said Good Quality Pearls next to this strand. The lady said it has been on the shelf for a moment, and the lock was turning to brass. I had her replace the lock and restring the strand. I like how they turned out. I will have to take a picture outside during the day. There isn't any color saturation at the holes. I picked them up and compared them to my GSS, and they were not bad. The last couple of pictures were taken outside comparing them with my GSS from Jewelmer. Can anyone tell me if China or another country is making decent production look-alike GSS out of freshwater?
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by mjjshop; 07-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I'm not sure I understand the question. The yellow pearls you bought at Greenhills are dyed FWP from China... but you knew that, right? They told you they are FWP?

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Thank you for the comparison photos, very interesting. It's been known for some time that China is able to dye fwp without the tell tale signs of color treatment. Looks like you have a strand of these. What size are they? The clasp is elegant!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question. The yellow pearls you bought at Greenhills are dyed FWP from China... but you knew that, right? They told you they are FWP?
    Hi Pearl Dreams, yes, I knew what I was buying, and they told me FWP. They had a sign next to them. Years ago, when I first learned about Greenhill, I had some sellers try to pass of GSS with colored FWP.

Pattye also answered my question. These were the first ones I have seen in this size at Greenhills. Usually, I see smaller with signs of color treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Thank you for the comparison photos, very interesting. It's been known for some time that China is able to dye fwp without the tell tale signs of color treatment. Looks like you have a strand of these. What size are they? The clasp is elegant!
    Thank you. It looks to be larger than 15mm. I don't have anything to measure with, but the pearl next to it is shy of 15. I also included a picture of the clasp (China or Bangkok).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Interesting. The Gold Freshwater have , in the past, been quite an ugly yellow. This colour looks to be an improvement. Good comparison photos !

As long as they dont sell them as Golden South Sea Pearls, its fine.

I agree, as long as they told you honestly what you were getting, it's all good. I have some yellow dyed FWP that are a pleasing shade of yellow, but they are not the same color as my GSS.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Im not up-to-date, so please excuse my ignorance. Could these be the product of Chinese experimenting with the Majorca process? Or, not the M patented process exactly, but the concept of layers?
    Im sorry for the struggle to find the correct way to express this.
    Last edited by lisa c; 07-13-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Majorica pearls are imitations.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Yes, I know, but Majoricas look so real, because of the layers, right?

Soooo, I was speculating - because of the size, and uniformity of the color, and lack of dye accumulation spots, could they be the results of layering?
    I’m way open to learning, as an obvious and self-proclaimed Non-expert, and would love to know what you guys see that tips your opinion toward dyed cfw.

(if I didn’t have worsening memory and attention issues, I’d be going for The Course. I’m so jealous of you guys!)
    Last edited by lisa c; 07-13-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Dyeing is done after the pearl is harvested, so it could not be dyed in layers, even though the nacre is laid down naturally by the mussel in layers.

Also, you can take the Pearlsasone course and not take the exams, if you choose-- just to read it.