Default Can anyone help?

Hi I have inherited this pearl necklace the only marking is on the clasp which says 14k which stands for 14 karat. Can anyone tell me the likelihood of the pearls being real or is it just costume? I love it regardless. I have done the tooth test and I wouldn't say it is smooth is there another test.

Many thanks
    Name:  20200702_162936.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  108.1 KB
    Name:  20200702_163046.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  127.7 KB

Name:  20200702_163052.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  82.2 KB

A close up picture

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Hi char,
    How nice to inherit pearls, especially with such a pretty clasp! Given the clasp and that they seem to pass the tooth test, I expect they are genuine pearls. However, clasps can be changed when pearls are restrung. So let's look at a few other factors.

Shape: Are they 100% round? They seem a bit flattened but that may be camera distortion. If they are fully round they are either akoyas or imitations.

Surface: The surface seems quite clean. This can be true of better akoyas or imitations. Please take a close up of any blemishes you see. In particular check out the center pearl, #24 from the clasp.

Edit: I just saw your second post with the new photo. A three strand clasp was adapted to be strung onto this strand.
    The surface in the new photo makes me think they are akoyas but do post photos of any flaws you see and answer whether they are really all round. FWP tend to be a bit off round.

Thank you for getting back to me.

They are all quite rounded and similar in size however some have these little imperfections as shown in 2nd pic but hard to take a clear picture.Name:  20200702_171218.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  20200702_171818.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  31.0 KB

second pic

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

OK-- they are cultured akoyas.

If you plan to wear them, consider restringing them. Silk is absorbent and picks up skin oils and general environmental grime over time. This weakens the thread and there is a risk of losing the necklace if it breaks. If you want to try your hand at restringing it yourself (as many of us do) see the Lowly Beaders Club for tutorials and videos.

Thats great thank you for your help

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

What a pretty Akoya strand and clasp, Char! Thanks for sharing!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Nice cultured akoya strand with a great clasp.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I love the clasp!