Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imperial Russian mass pearl consumption...

This article was among the click bait I ran across last night. I wonder what types they were using in those headdresses.
    https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/...ume-ball-1903/

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

WOW!! Those are some serious headdresses! And the pearls are never ending!!! Opulent, opulent, opulent! Thank you for sharing.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

They really went all out with their dresses and headpieces. Doesn't look all that comfortable, probably not for me....

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

I want to know who won!
    Sheer luxury at its best, to think they were the real McCoy in pearls and gemstones is breathtaking.
    Thank you for sharing.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I know the gems were all the real deal, so I'll assume those are all real, natural pearls, too.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Amazing display. Thanks for sharing.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Extraordinary and thought provoking in so many ways ~ appears most of the pearls were white? So likely saltwater??
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

Oh boy those clothes and jewels-pearls were opulent. Thank you for posting this.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ash's Avatar

I'm coming late to this conversation. My guess is natural fresh water pearls were used. Before "over fishing" lakes, rivers and streams were awash with mollusc's that produced pearls across Russia and Europe.
    Cheers,
    Ash

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Oh Lord! The photos are amazing, the colorization just makes it look so dazzling and flamboyant. Loved the articles, I'm in love with the photos.
    I have to say... Czarina Alexandra does not seem happy (it was explained why, of course) but Yusaida is radiant! Sucha beautiful woman and she had extraordinary taste for pearls (and a matching budget of course!).
    Massrog: Thank you soooo much for sharing this with us all
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm coming late to this conversation. My guess is natural fresh water pearls were used. Before "over fishing" lakes, rivers and streams were awash with mollusc's that produced pearls across Russia and Europe.
    Yes, mostly Russian freshwater pearls I believe, but they also had many large pearls from Mexico. At the times, Russian whalers would go down to hunt gray whales in Baja, and they traded pearls with the locals. Also, Yusaida was one of the owners of the fabled "La Pelegrina" and "La Regente" pearls...from Mexico (both from the Panamic Black Lip pearl oyster, Pinctada mazatlanica.

This is from Wikipedia:
    As the head of one of the most important noble families in Russia, she also inherited a vast fortune, which meant owning the largest collection of historical jewels in Russia, second only to that of the vaults of the Russian Imperial Family. She was in possession of 21 Tiaras, 255 Brooches, 42 Bracelets, 210 kilos of assorted Objet d'art and hundreds of thousands of loose gems. Some of the famous gems were: The mid-16th century La Pelegrina pearl, "The Polar Star Diamond" (41.28 carat diamond), The "La Regente Pearl" (fifth largest pearl in the world), The 17th century "Ram’s Head Diamond" (a 17.47-carat diamond), The 17th century "Sultan of Morocco Diamond" (35.67 carats, fourth largest Blue diamond in the world), The 17th century "Diamond Earrings of Marie Antoinette" (two 34.59 carat diamonds), The "Blue Venus Statuette Sapphire" (4-inch-tall sapphire statuette of the goddess Venus atop a large Spinel) and also The 15th century "Ruby Buddha" (70+ carat Ruby statue).
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Marvelous, thank you massrog, how wonderful to see these costumes. And what meticulous coloring!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

That’s just magnificent, but I wonder if they could even dance with so much jewels and furs! How interesting the preferred language used was French and not Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilpearl View Post
    That’s just magnificent, but I wonder if they could even dance with so much jewels and furs! How interesting the preferred language used was French and not Russian!
    There was a time when French was the language of the Educated (in Ancient times the same was true for Greek)...even in Britain. Until the time of Chaucer, French was seen as the language of the wealthy and educated. This from Wikipedia:
    Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340s – 25 October 1400) was an English poet and author. Widely considered the greatest English poet of the Middle Ages, he is best known for The Canterbury Tales. He has been called the "father of English literature", or, alternatively, the "father of English poetry". He was the first writer to be buried in what has since come to be called Poets' Corner, in Westminster Abbey.
    Among Chaucer's many other works are The Book of the Duchess, The House of Fame, The Legend of Good Women, and Troilus and Criseyde. He is seen as crucial in legitimizing the literary use of Middle English when the dominant literary languages in England were still French and Latin.

I guess they did little dancing...I guess the idea was to show off their wealth and power. But regardless...what an amazingly flamboyant display! Loved it!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ash's Avatar

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the Chime in about Pearls from Mexico being used as well. That I didn't know. Agreed these photos are fantastic!
    Cheers,
    Ash