Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Default Vacuum cleaner recommendations.

My 15 year old Dyson just bit the dust. It literally fell apart and the filters disintegrated to dust. The hose shredded. And a bunch of the plastic parts broke off. I think it didn't like the workout I was giving it after each group of plumbers and dry wall guys finished cutting up my house. It was time for a new one any way.

Recommendations? I do not want another Dyson.

I have a 2200 sq ft house with wall to wall carpet. A bit of tile in the kitchen and dining areas. It seems a lot of vacuums are designed for hard wood floors and tile anymore. It seems hard to find one that will do plush carpet.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Recommend you check out Oreck. Weigh less than 10 lbs. Hepa type filter bags hold lots; I had a dog when I bought mine, which was probably 20 years ago.

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

I have Roombas and a big Miele. The Miele has a switch for floor or carpet and different piles of carpet. It’s great but a little heavy. The Roombas are great for everyday, but obviously limited to the floor.

I'm going to FaceTime with the Miele dealer tomorrow. I've never had a canister vacuum before. I don't think a Roomba would work for me. I have too much stuff on the ground.

I’ve never had a canister either. My Miele is the big red upright with the hepa filter. A Roomba keeps you from cluttering your floor, that’s for sure.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

I have a red Miele at home, and a blue Miele at the lake cottage. Recommend them as well.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar

We have a Shark Navigator which is pretty good. I've been thinking of getting a Roomba, if just to amuse the cats!

JEG. Good to know. I was going to ask which Miele you had. I read that the uprights were heavy.

Red. Which models do you have?

Linda: I had gone to TARGET to get a Shark Navigator on Sunday, but the only part of the store that was open was the grocery section. I'm tossed between getting something inexpensive I'll have to replace vs. something that will last.

Pattye: I need attachments, and I don't think the Orecks have them. Plus, all the Oreck stores in Florida closed.

Yes, they’re heavy. I’m guessing maybe 20+ pounds. If you are on one floor, it would be great, but I have two floors so I have a Roomba on each floor and use the Miele less frequently to do the stairs and under furniture too low for the Roombas. I also do not have carpet other than area rugs, so it’s easy for me to run a Swiffer over everything, too.

Linda, my dog is not amused by the Roombas! She runs around collecting all her toys because “that thing” might get them.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

BWeaves - My red one is an S312i, which looks a lot like this one. It has an electric carpet beater bar which you can turn on and off, and a separate vacuum head if you don't have any carpet. The blue one is different in that the beater bar is driven by the air suction, and doesn't have a motor for it. It works fine at the lake where I don't have any deep carpets. Both have the same set of attachments for cleaning furniture and drapes, etc.

Miele.jpg

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

I might like this thread more than pearls. I need a new vacuum cleaner; one that can survive a Walter or 2. The sooner I see the end of the one sr. Walter chose the better.

Roombas ... my friend, a young computer security expert, got married a couple of years ago, and built a new house, got a new wife and said "Oooh, you guys are all so old fashioned. A Roomba is the answer to everything!". One very large Bernese Mountain dog later, who liked to cuddle up against the wall near the charging unit for the Roomba ... the Roomba came home to roost, dog's tail got sucked into the Roomba, and that giant gentle beast of a dog sat patiently for 3 hours while they dismantled the Roomba and extricated his tail. The Roomba was replaced ... by a baby and a real vacuum cleaner or 2 .
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Thanks for the laugh, Cathy. But poor doggy!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

For those without too much stuff on the floor (big dogs!) I absolutely love my Roomba. I had no faith in a robot cleaner but it's doing a great job - and I absolutely hate vacuuming. I move stuff out of the way, turn it on and leave.

I have a Face Time with the Miele guy today.

I have a lot of looms, spinning wheels, handwoven rugs on top of the wall to wall carpets, cones of yarn for the project I'm working on, stacks of books, too much for the Roomba to navigate around. Plus, I need to suck off my looms, spinning wheels, books in the library with the vacuum and the Roomba can't do that.

I'll let you know what I end up getting.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member multichrome's Avatar

Good luck today! I love Miele vacuums. I have two compact Miele models that take bags. The bags seal well, which is great for my allergies. I keep one upstairs (non cat hair) and one downstairs (cat hair). Love the carpet/furniture/bare floor/quiet settings and the attachments. The vacuum unit is light and moves well over floor and carpet behind the hose. Kitty is not afraid of it when I have it on the quiet setting. Got a nice discount on each with a BB&B coupon.