Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Well, that was interesting. We did the Face Time with the vacuum cleaner store and he showed us the Miele Home package, which would give me everything I asked for, and then he recommended a Riccar R25P. The Riccar is built in the USA. It's an upright. It's got a long hose. The attachments weren't exciting, but he got me some attachments that were similar to the ones I wanted on the Miele. The beater bar is metal. It has a bag. It's got HEPA filters.

He's going to drop it off at my house tonight or tomorrow morning. He doesn't want any contact with anyone because his mother is diabetic, so he's going to put it on my doorstep, ring the door bell and step far away. Life in the age of COVID-19. I've got 30 days to test drive it. If I don't like it, I'll swap up to the Miele.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Let us know how it goes. Whenever they do this sort of swap, it makes me wonder about their supply, incentives, commissions...

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

Have fun cleaning! I got inspired to vacuum with my Miele today.

The Riccar R25P was $650. The Miele Homecare I was considering was $1000. I think he understood exactly how I vacuumed and what my needs were, because he didn't SELL me the Riccar as much as "let me compare these two vacuums for you and let you decide."

The Riccar is comfortable to push and pull. The buttons are easy to figure out. There are buttons for high pile carpet, low pile, and bare floor. And there's an adjustment to lessen the suction when doing curtains or flimsy flat rugs. The beater bar is metal. It has headlights, and they change color if you have a clog or to let you know where the dirt is and when you've gotten it all up.

The hose is great. It does not tip the vac over when fully extended. The hose also comes apart in various places so you can lengthen or shorten it, or easily remove a clog. The hose also stays in place while you vacuum and doesn't dangle like a Shark's does. You also don't need to unwind all the power cord to use the hose.

The bag is easy to change and quite large. The filters look easy to change. The cord is 35 feet long. And it's made completely in the USA. That bit was not particularly a selling point for me, but was very nice to know.

It has a carry handle. It lays flat to get under furniture. It turns corners easily. The working handle is very comfortable while vacuuming.

The attachments work better than they looked like they might. The extra 3rd party attachments he got me aren't great, but will do the job. A soft, natural bristle brush and an elbow attachment for getting on the top of ceiling fans and bookcases. One was only $10 and he gave the other one to me for free, so I think he knew they weren't a perfect fit, but I'll keep them. He's having the other attachment, a long flexible crevice tool, drop shipped to me.

He delivered the vacuum to my door last night. He said he'll leave them at the door, ring the doorbell and go back to his car. His mother is diabetic, and he's totally self isolating, and would not meet me in person. I'm OK with that.

I tried it out last night. So far, so good. I'll try it out some more today. I honestly had never heard of a Riccar before this. They're only sold through vacuum cleaner stores. It seems very well designed. I've had enough vacuums in my life that I know all the little design flaws that bug me. I'd say the Riccar's only design flaw is that it doesn't have enough attachments. It came with a pet hair removal tool, but I doubt I'll use it.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-29-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Thank you for the detailed review, BWeaves, very helpful!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

That sounds very interesting, I've never heard of that brand either, BWeaves! But then hanging out in vacuum cleaner stores has never been my idea of fun I wish our appliance store had FaceTimed over my dishwasher shopping; what a good idea. Thank you for the review.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Thank you for the review, BWeaves. Happy vacuuming, while you decide over the next 30 days.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I kept thinking, Riccar = sewing machines and when I googled it, found this:

Although Riccar was once a major Japanese producer of sewing machines, today the company focuses most of its manufacturing on vacuum cleaners. You can still buy a new machine from an authorized retailer, and because of the quality of these sewing machines, used options also abound.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

INTERESTING!!!! I just googled a bunch about both the Japanese Riccar company and Riccar America.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well good luck with the Vacuum cleaners ! Being here in Australia we don't have all the brands that you do in the states. I've got a Miele - all of their appliances are very popular here. Most of my friend use Dyson but frankly I can't see spending the money.

Bumping this thread to ask BWeaves: Now that you've had some time with that Riccar vacuum ... what do you think? Do you still like it, or did you move to something else? Would love your updated opinion if you can. Thanks!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I’m so glad this thread came up as I need to buy a new “upstairs” vacuum. Downstairs, I stick with Hoover which has served me well in cleaning up after the parrots. It sucks up all the plastic toy parts, almond shells, wood chips, food pellets, large feathers, etc., that cover the living room floor, but I’m still searching for the perfect vacuum for upstairs which is carpeted. I’m leaning toward a canister, thinking it would be easier to vacuum the stairs than with an upright, be easier to carry, and also do a better job under furniture. I’m accustomed to Hoover prices so Miele is a big sticker shock.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    Bumping this thread to ask BWeaves: Now that you've had some time with that Riccar vacuum ... what do you think? Do you still like it, or did you move to something else? Would love your updated opinion if you can. Thanks!
    I still love it. I still haven't filled up the bag, either. The bag is huge.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

In my house, that bag would be filled in about 30 seconds. I'm entering the de-sanding phase of summer (those last days before fall when I discover the MOUNDS of sand about the house!)
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Thanks, BWeaves; good to hear!

Ah, the sand, JerseyPearl ... the Jersey sand infiltrates on an unbelievable level
    Cathy

CathyKeshi