Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Default Pearl Divers' Rice (a recipe)

I was going through my Middle Eastern cookbook looking for a recipe that used Baharat. I had just bought that spice blend from The Spice House, and I wanted to try something different. Anyway, as I was looking, this recipe caught my eye and I thought you would enjoy reading it.

Bahraini Pearl Divers' Rice

A7FBC3A7-C939-456E-A9AB-51822B43F47E_1_201_a.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

DFC097DB-1665-49A4-9B16-27A8B18B577B_1_201_a.jpg

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I'll have mine with roast lamb, please, BWeaves! But I'll skip diving. Very interesting, for sure.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

That's fascinating, BWeaves! I love saffron, but that sugar/honey is scary as I'm not out pearl diving . Did you find something to use the Baharat on? I haven't tried that one, but was tempted. My Lebanese chef friend keeps me well supplied with a hot, spicy paste he calls "muhammara" although that's my phonetic spelling, not his. The heat level varies; sometimes a lot. I know it has chilis, walnuts, spices and more ... he eats it with a spoon, I use little dabs, and freeze it in small quantities ... it's really delicious.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

Interesting! In my experience, muhammara is a delicious roast red pepper spread with chili, walnut, a pomegranate syrup or honey, a little garlic, some olive oil and the wonderful spices

Put some on some fresh bread and you are in heaven

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I made a lentil soup with the Baharat and it was delicious. I made up a dish with cauliflower, potatoes and carrots and garlic and onions with the Baharat and it wasn't bad. It was sort of an Aloo Gobi only with Middle Easter instead of Indian spices. I think the Baharat would be wonderful on beef or lamb or fish. But I'm mostly vegetarian (I can't give up sushi) so I'm trying it out with veggies.

I haven't tried the rice recipe above, but thought it was interesting. I think I could cut way back on the sugar and fats and it would probably still taste pretty good. Although, I usually only cook 1/2 cup rice for me and Greg, so if I quarter everything in the recipe, that's only 1 to 2 TBSP of sugar, so I think if I change it to a teaspoon of sugar, it would be fine.

Right, now I'll have to try it and report back.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

You are right, BWeaves in that the amount of sugar over the entire recipe isn't so high for the quantity. I'm looking forward to your report back; I have saffron!

YES, Lady Disdain; that's exactly what Chef makes! I'd forgotten the olive oil and the pomegranate molasses; he gave me my own jar last year when I begged to know what was in a sauce he made. And yes, it's delicious!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

I need red peppers to make muhammara. I am a craving it and I have no peppers to roast.