Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Haha, five strands. Then you can make a really long rope. They are gorgeous strands though.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Wowza! Those look amazing.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered a strand. I hope others are better "pearl pickers" than me. Truly hoped to be delighted, but not so much. The strand ES-03 was 10.5 - 13.5 mm, the second I opened the very nice box I could tell the pearls were smaller. When measured they are 10.5 - 12.0 mm. The smaller pearls have very good luster, not sure I would call them metallic. The center pearl has numerous small light spots and pits, too. Here are photos in my light box and outdoors (rainy). Name:  IMG_1867.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  145.6 KB Name:  IMG_1868.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  195.2 KB Name:  IMG_1864.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  79.2 KB
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Pattye, I'm sorry to agree with you on the underwhelming strand you got. Do you think they are dyed?
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

Oh no Pattye! I feel terrible that I recommended Li and she sent you that strand!

She sent me numerous pictures of the strands she had. I asked her which ones were the best in terms of luster and had the least blemishes and she recommended the several that I chose. There are no visible pits on any of the pearls in the strands she sent me.

When I specifically asked her the sizes of each strand many of them were 10.5 to 12.5 and some 10 to 12mm and one 10.5-13.5. The correct sizes of the pearls should have been listed as well as a description of the blemishes. That strand she sent you is not acceptable. So very sorry for this.

I attached a macro pic of the center pearls in my strands. Some pearl dust between the pearls. When I wash any pearls in my hard water the dust forms a crust on the pearls which I remove with a damp cloth. I missed a few. Some uneven ripply texture as I expected but no pits.

Cathy- I will be interested to hear Pattye's opinions on if she thinks the strand is dyed. I could not see any evidence of the pearls being dyed in the strands I received. The drill holes were not darker and I could look inside to see the light colored bead. But Pattye is and expert and I am not so I will defer to her opinion on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Please don't feel bad, Gemandpearlover! I have contacted Li, of course. I'm not sure if I will return or keep the strand at this point. I'm just guessing, likely the original listing was copied for subsequent ones, but the specs weren't changed, so I don't think the size was something Li purposely misrepresented.

I'm not ready to comment on whether I think the pearls are dyed, but will soon.

In every large lot of pearls, as they're sorted for temporary strands matched by size, color, luster, will have a slightly different character, color overtones. I'm sure every purple strand Li (or anyone) has will be somewhat different.
    Last edited by pattye; 04-23-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Pattye

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Oh, Pattye, what a shame that they were not as you hoped. I say send them back and use the funds for pearls you’ll love.
    There was something about the possibility of dyeing of the very dark purples from China on Kojima’s Instagram recently, I think.
    Edited to add: here it is - doubts, but not certain https://www.instagram.com/p/B85CXjNl..._web_copy_link
    Personally, I don’t think it matters too much if the colour of freshwaters has been slightly “enhanced” if the result is pretty. But unfortunately this strand is just not amazing.

That is a beautiful strand Sydk!

Pattye- while you make your determination on the color being natural or not I thought I would give some more information on the pearls I have received. Li assures they are natural color btw. I examined each strand pearl by pearl. There a a few pearls that are bi-colored. Lavender on one side that fades to gold. Another is lavender on one side and rose colored on the other. I could include pics if that helps. Do you see that with dyed pearls?

I hope Li resolved the situation to your satisfaction.

My apologies for the late update ~

This strand has grown on me, as they sometimes do. It does have good luster and few blemishes. When I get a strand I'm not sure of, I give it time to "wake up" or maybe it's me that wakes up, lol. So the strand just hangs out where I can observe it over time. Li and I have corresponded about the size, which was the main problem, and she is sending some additional large pearls to compensate, which I haven't received yet.
    To complicate matters, I told a client about these purple pearls AND before I got the first strand, ordered 2 more strands! Which are lighter and more silvery, but the size was correct and they have very good luster. The original strand is the darkest in the photo below.
    As to whether the dark purple pearls are dyed or not ~ we don't exactly know how they are getting the dark colors. If color-treated, probably not in the same way as the inexpensive dyed pearls. But if something, a chemical or something is put into the water during the mussels' growing time or something in mussels' food that causes color change, or some other enhancing treatment that's done before/after harvest, it seems "natural." Thank you so much, SydK, for the link to Sarah's blog; she is so knowledgeable and Sarah definitely has her finger on the pulse of the pearl industry.
    I wish I knew more! I am not opposed to dyed or color-treated pearls at all, just believe that treatments need to be disclosed.
    Name:  IMG_1880.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  179.7 KB
    Pattye

Thanks for the update - I’d wondered what was the outcome of your investigation. I’m so glad your strand has grown on you. It looks lovely on that most recent photo. Definitely not as dark as the first one, but I think the silvery tone of the other two strands is pretty, too. And for freshwater pearls, they are still very dark.
    The changes to freshwater pearls even in the few years that I’ve been paying attention to pearls have been astonishing - pearling technology in China is progressing amazingly fast.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Wowee! That’s purple! Can’t wait to see the rest of the posts.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

I bought a purple strand as well. It's very purply, gorgeous color. I am going to watch it for fading though, so I think that I will try to take photos of it once a month or so and see if there is any change. I know that I cannot get the same light every time so it woun't be scientifically correct. But over time I might see some difference, I hope not.
    Name:  _20200509_170158.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  65.5 KB
    Name:  _20200509_170101.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  76.3 KB
    Name:  _20200509_170133.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  65.8 KB
    When I compare them to my other purple edisons from Pearlescence, in my rainbow strand and in my huggies, then the Pearlescence edisons are smoother with higher luster. My Pearlescence edisons haven't changed at all. Still strong colors and high luster.
    Name:  _20200509_220801.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  66.9 KB
    Name:  _20200509_220740.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  47.1 KB
    When compared to my strand of tiny rose lavender freshwater pearls.
    Name:  _20200509_165324.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  78.6 KB
    I would like to know how that lavender color evolved to the deep purple one. I don't think that LiPearl sells dyed pearls. The pearls are gorgeous and the price was very good. I am very happy with my strand.

Very pretty Charlotta!

So.......with a recent strand I bought I knew there were a couple of pearls I knew I was not going to like so I asked Li to replace them. She sent me extra pearls to replace them. I took one pearl off the strand that I wanted to replace and smashed it. I honestly can't help myself.

Name:  IMG_6131.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  91.9 KB

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Wow, that's thick nacre. Thanks for the smash. I don't have the guts to do it to my rejects. I should really give it a try on my few pearls that will never make it into a strand.

So, when you do a smash. Exactly how do you do it? Wrap the pearl in a towel and tap it with a hammer? A rubber mallet? Bang on it with a frying pan?

I just love smash photos, thanks for posting. So interesting. Amazingly thick nacre for such a round pearl.