Default Bought with no clue what these are? Maker? Fresh/salt?

Bought these from a woman who wasn’t sure what they were. Necklace marked 14k with some kind of L also an HJ kind of combo. 8mm pearls 18” strand they look nice and round. . 7.2mm earrings just marked 585 on backs. Included pics. Any idea what they are? Freshwater/saltwater? Value? They were in a nice Reeds box with Lagos jewelry paperwork. Not sure if any of it went together. Would love to know freshwater/saltwater and value.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by PearlNerd; 04-14-2020 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Added two photos

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

For quite a few years now I've seen nice FWP in jewelry stores alongside akoyas.

A few of those necklace pearls look a little off-round to my eye, but the camera can distort. If the pearls are not all 100% round, assume they are FWP.

The necklace is finished without gimp (a little loop of wire that is typically used in fine pearl necklaces to protect the thread where it joins the clasp.) A higher-end necklace ought to have gimp. It's an attractive necklace, however.

The earrings may be either loose-grade FWP or akoyas. I can't be sure from your photos.

Pearls don't tend to hold their value when resold. If you got them for half the price of a new similar necklace and earrings, you did fine.

Thank you! I like it quite a bit! I’ve had no luck finding the makers marks though it’s odd. I paid 120 and I think the look is very nice whatever they are so I’m happy

You did fine! Especially with a 14K clasp (and btw, any marks on the clasp are probably those of the maker of the clasp, not of the necklace.). There is a price jump for pearls 8mm and larger. Even FWP of that size would cost quite a bit more than what you paid.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

The clasp indicates that they are from Honora Pearls. They sell freshwater pearls primarily, maybe even exclusively, and can be found in many department and jewelry stores. Looking at their website is appears that 14kg clasps are used on their better freshwater strands.

Good catch on the brand, Parrot Lady!