Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuff I Made

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Incik Boncuk's Avatar

Thank you, Amti! I have worn them a couple times already!

Just before everything shut down (here in the US) I placed my first order from Wen. Not having purchased from her before, I didn't buy a whole lot. She shipped quickly, and then . . . they sat. Who knows where? Last week, seven weeks later, I finally received the package. I spent a couple days knotting the strands I'd gotten, and now I have no more pearls to knot. :-(

So before I show what I made, I have a question: do any of you have good sources in the US - similar in price and quality - to Wen's goods? At the moment I think that ordering from outside the country is an exercise in frustration. But man, knotting is fun!!

Here's the first one: 9.5 - 10.3mm champagne rice FWP. These weren't as champagne-y as I was expecting, but I really like the strand for the rosy glints that show in just the right light. I was able to use all the pearls on this 16" strand - none had any blemishes.

Name:  champagne.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  131.4 KB
    Last edited by Incik Boncuk; 05-07-2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: forgot mm

The next one I made was a strand of 11 - 12mm white rice FWP. I had to leave 2 of the pearls from the strand out as they were very dull. But otherwise these were nice, although this size is a little large for my small frame. I wanted to try out this larger size in an inexpensive version to see if I'd want to spend $$$$ on a high quality strand of this size. For me, the answer is no - just a little overwhelming on me.

Name:  white.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  91.6 KB
    Last edited by Incik Boncuk; 05-07-2020 at 04:39 PM.

The last 2 strands I got from Wen I made into one long necklace. These are 7mm golden rainbow rice FWP. I love this necklace! The colors change so much depending on the light. I was able to use every single pearl from the 2 strands. I wish I'd gotten more of these!

Name:  golden1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  golden2.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  119.8 KB

Lastly, once I realized I was in for a long wait for the order from China, I ordered one strand from Rio Grande to see how the quality was there. This strand is 11.5 - 13mm ringed white and grey FWP. When I got them I was underwhelmed. And I remain underwhelmed. To be fair, they were listed as A grade so I knew I was taking a chance. Of course they are far too big for me. I had to remove 6 of the pearls that either were very dull or had significant blemishes, so the resulting necklace is quite short, maybe 14.5 inches. Even having chosen the best of the pearls, the strand is quite dull. There are a couple individual pearls with OK luster but overall, not so great. It's unlikely I'll wear this but I wanted to give it a try. And I wanted to do more knotting! It's so meditative.

Name:  rio.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  112.0 KB

Here's a new necklace I made the other day. I ordered these pearls from Wen a couple weeks ago - "7 - 10mm Genuine South Sea Pearl Natural Golden Color." In reality, they are barely golden - more of a cream color, which I like and is better for my skin tone. I really like the variety of shapes in this strand and the luster is really nice. Some of the pearls have a rosy glow in the right light, which of course I was unable to capture with my phone's camera.

Name:  gss1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  gss2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  159.0 KB

Name:  gss3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  gss4.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  gss5.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  114.4 KB

And just because I found it interesting, here's a photo of the same strand that I took with the flash accidentally on! I think it's interesting how different the colors of the individual pearls look here. In natural light and to the naked eye, they all look pretty much the same color.

Name:  flash.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  195.8 KB

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

It's a pretty strand and the pearls have a nice luster. South sea pearls are sometimes difficult to order, especially from China, I find. I have bought champagne ones and then they were green, golden that was really white with a slight cream tone. It's good that this color looks better on you though the sellers ought to describe them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta View Post
    It's a pretty strand and the pearls have a nice luster. South sea pearls are sometimes difficult to order, especially from China, I find. I have bought champagne ones and then they were green, golden that was really white with a slight cream tone. It's good that this color looks better on you though the sellers ought to describe them better.
    To be fair, the photos on Wen's page were very good representations, so I wasn't expecting these to be any darker. And when I got them in hand, I liked them immediately, which isn't always the case!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Incik,

Your new GSS strand is truly beautiful and lustrous; your knotting skills are excellent, too! For some reason I missed the 3 lustrous oval and drop strands from May; those are favorite shapes of mine also. Very cool how your camera picked up different depth of colors in the flash photo.

Many Gem Faire shows in the western US have been canceled, but a few are scheduled for later this year. Sadly, one of the best pearl vendors, (and friend to many of us) John Tu, passed away earlier this year. Wen has a good variety; I've ordered a few things in the past, mostly findings. Two small packages never arrived because of covid, and after 2+ months she kindly refunded my payment.

I've always wondered about the quality of Rio Grande's pearls. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thank you, Pattye! You can guess where my knotting thread came from ;-) I love the Beader's Secret so much - it really makes it easy to knot. I did have to do this one twice (unusual for me). I couldn't pull the thread tight enough to make the clasp flush with the beads the first time because my arthritic hands have been bothering lately. Sigh. I'm only 56 and I fear my knotting days are already limited. :-(

I have seen other forum members get some really nice strands from Wen but the nicest ones always seem to already be gone when I look at her shop. I felt lucky to have snagged this one!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Incik, the SS strand is so pretty, with interesting shapes and nice luster. I like that creamy/light champagne colour.
    I missed your earlier posts, but let me congratulate you on your lovely pearls and excellent knotting skills. I also have a strand of those golden rainbow pearls from Wen. I only got one and I wish I’d got more, they are so pretty.

Thank you, Syd! The color of those golden rainbow pearls is so interesting, isn't it? So changeable!

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Overall, I'd say you have had great luck with your orders of Wen pearls. I love the colors. Sorry to hear about your Rio Grande pearls.

Thank you, GemGeek!