Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Be well everyone. I dread ventures to the grocery store. I told DH I want to plant a vegetable garden this year, as I am really only needing fresh foods. We are very fortunate to be well, but NJ is so hard hit.
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Good news: the owner of the coffee shop where my daughter works told the employees today that anyone who wants to stop working until they feel they can return to work safely will have their job waiting for them when they return.

My daughter and a number of others immediately said they would stop working for now. They were urged to apply for unemployment insurance; apparently the rules have been relaxed. However, even if it turns out that she doesn't qualify, it's still hugely preferable for her to take a break.
    Update: She was able to apply for unemployment compensation based on new federal rules for COVID-19.

Also, my husband's employer is going to give every employee hazard pay.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 04-04-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

That is very good to hear, Pearl Dreams!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I am keeping my in-laws company all day every day! We are on week three over here.

We were able to get a factory to make masks in China, so we should have 9000 of them arriving early next week. We're giving most of them the the block captains in Marina del Rey. Hopefully we can keep production going.

We are going to get through this!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well done Jeremy ! It would be great if more companies would do this . We have been home for almost 3 weeks now... I must admit I'm forgetting what day of the week it is.... and I'm running out of Netflix series .... I have relatives in California, the East Coast the Carolinas and Michigan so I know from them that it's much worse across the country than our news shows us. We mainly hear about NYC and England.

Boring as it is... we all need to stay home if at all possible and stay safe.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

People are getting more kind, and more irritable. Kind people bring meals to the SrStorage, on weekends.

Irritable people yell at each other in the grocery store - no mask, you crossed in front of me in my space! You have no gloves, you touched that food and put it back! “If you want, I’ll get right up in your face, lady. People cross paths in a groc store! If you’re so upset, mask up!”

I was masked and gloved, neither of them were. I try to ghost.

Jeremy and Hisano, are the best kind of people. Along with Kevin and Alana, Josh and Celeste, the Hunters, Ashley and all of you guys I don’t know for real - you’re the best kind of Royalty!
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-07-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Good to get updates. Great initiative, Jeremy. Lisa, I think a lot of people act aggressively when in fear and grief. Duck and hide!

Most of my focus is on Ida's problems that have nothing to do with Covid-19 except that now that she is finally ready to get some professional help, the timing is not the best. Some therapists do phone or video consultations, though, and that might not be a bad thing either when you are riddled with anxiety.

But after getting tired of adjusting my home-cut t-shirt mask after each wash (experiment) and given that we are likely to also be told to wear them here, I've bought a couple of on Etsy - passing on a bit of money rather than make them myself. Waiting for them to arrive but happy to know I am ahead of the wave on this as well.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

We are fortunate to be able to go outside and enjoy the mild south east Queensland autumn. Also walk the dog on the dirt road through the forest, hardly a person around and plenty of space to keep your distance. And keep up with all the beautiful pearls on the forum.

Stay safe everyone.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Well done, Jeremy, oh so well done. Keep a close watch on that shipment of masks to be sure it stays in your distribution lane. And Thank You for your efforts. Wave to your inlaws from us, and breathe some sea air for me
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Jeremy and Hisano, thank you for your compassion and efforts to help others. I will say a prayer all will go well with the shipping of the mask, and their arrival to you. Jeremy I hope you are having some nice quality time with your in-laws, as well as I hope that Hisano and Happy are safe and doing well.

I have found it difficult working, for the last several weeks. I love my career, and feeling so hesitant going to work has been heartbreaking. Though our State is in Lockdown, it does not apply to my company, as deemed 'necessary to the infrastructure', so we must still work. Until the end of last week, we were not allowed to wear mask nor gloves. This week mask are being allowed, however to wear gloves you must have a 'doctors note' deeming them important due to health issues, to be approved. Sadly mask and gloves are not provided, and now sanitizing products, wipes and liquid hand sanitizer are not available due to back ordered.

The last three weeks have been mentally stressful going into work. Without being able to protect myself, and working with the public, the worry was heart wrenching. So out of character, to feel this way after a 40 year career. Not even after 9-11 was I this stressed. We have received notices daily of colleagues and TSAs that have tested positive. After much thought, I decided to go on 'emergency leave' as they are now calling it. It has to be applied for, and awarded, as it is limited in numbers due to the needs of the company to operate. It is 2 week increments. Starting today, I was awarded 2 weeks off. I to be awarded a the last 2 weeks of April as well. Fingers crossed I will be able to be approved.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, not having go to work. Yet concerned if I have been exposed, though I have no symptoms as of yet. I am grateful today, to be able to self isolate for 2 weeks, and take care of myself. (and play pearls!! )

I would like give a heartfelt 'thank you' to the lovely PGers, who reached out to me with concern. I am so touched by your thoughtfulness, words of support and kindness. I am so grateful for all of you.
    Last edited by AzFlyGirl; 04-07-2020 at 07:36 AM.

That is good news for you! That must be soooo stressful - and stress is really bad for the immune system

Maybe also spend your 2 weeks (hoping it will be more) looking into making some masks and getting hand sanitizer in another way so you feel better prepared/protected after your self isolation. There are loads of information about masks and material out now and I know a lot of destilleries have switched to making hand sanitizer. I think there is even ways you can make it yourself.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Our team has been remote (except Hisano and myself) for several weeks now and working from home. We made the decision to move the team remote a short time before the order came down, and recently two separate members on our team came down with Covid. The team hasn't interacted in person in weeks, so everyone else is safe, but this does hit close to home.

Both team members are young, and one is now out of the hospital (was in ICU) so we are very grateful that we know they are both going to be ok.
    Last edited by jshepherd; 04-07-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    I am keeping my in-laws company all day every day! We are on week three over here.

We were able to get a factory to make masks in China, so we should have 9000 of them arriving early next week. We're giving most of them the the block captains in Marina del Rey. Hopefully we can keep production going.

We are going to get through this!
    That's wonderful!

I hope your employees with COVID-19 recover. Stay safe.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Wow, Jeremy, you and Hisano and the staff are in our hearts. I so hope your staff continues to recover well.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

Jeremy- I’m breathing a sigh of relief for your staff. How scary to require ICU. I’m sure that shipment of masks will be much appreciated, and what a good son-in-law! Are you cooking for them too??

AzFlyGirl, I hope you are able to get some good rest during your leave and hopefully be able to extend it for your peace of mind.