Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Well yes, perogies are definitely more compact, and more user-friendly than frozen people. I’ll keep that in mind.

Making notes for future pearl party at Cathy’s...
    (1)“Cathy’s daughter is FIERCE. Already has 4 dozen people on ice. No need for a 49th.
    (2)Also has seeds....hm. Perhaps seeds in the oranges are intended to keep defiant BOY from enjoying the soon-to-be-scarce oranges? is BOY a reference to a true boy, or a sardonic reference to Walter? That doesn’t make sense, Walter buys her beautiful pearls, therefor sardonic references are unnecessary.

Better re-read, and more slowly. An interesting People, these Eastern Pennsylvanians.
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-11-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Australia jumped on this pretty fast and I'm sure we will be closing more businesses soon. At the moment restaurants etc are still open but really struggling. Rent relief from landlords is helping them stay in business but it's easy to see the drop in numbers just driving by. (lots of outdoor seating here ) The grocery stores are another matter. People went crazy two weeks ago and started hoarding Toilet Paper. Now, this is just ridiculous as TP is made here in South Australia...like 85% of the country's supply. From local supplies. So, we literally cannot run out. Yet, it's almost impossible to find. Stores have started having 'elderly' hours... allowing only elderly people into the stores for an hour just after opening and restocking. John managed to snag one of three remaining TP packs at 7:15am. Hand sanitisers...forget about it...long gone. Food is still not an issue as fortunately we have lots of little independent grocery store, bakeries and butchers. We are not at all dependent on large chain stores. 400 yards away there is a tiny neighbourhood centre with a butcher, ********, bakery, gourmet pizza, thai take away. So I'm not really worried about food. Australia has banned all international travel with a 14 day quarantine for those who manage to get back. Most of our earliest cases arrived from travel in America which surprised me. Large gatherings are banned and some sporting events are going on but with no spectators , lots have canceled. Driving around...it's soooooo quiet. Schools are still open and they are looking at possibly sending kids home except for those whose parents are medical workers.

Lisa- you always make me laugh.

There is bound to be a recession as this is supposed to go on for 6 months. I'm putting off the home renovations, cancelled our trip to France and Spain... losing deposits on some things but nothing to be done about it. Some companies are better than others - Qatar has not been terribly accomodating...which is ridiculous as they are probably a lot better off than most of the other airlines !

Stay safe !

***Kisses, Cathy, thank you very much! Katbran likewise. PD thanks for gently saying ‘Put your pillow back on the bed. Back away from the luggage.’ Thank you all for being on the boards here, and putting up with me, Red for starting it, Karin, luvglitz, seoulite,Charlotte, parrotLady, 86, Bweaves, JillM, Marianne,***.

Katbran, pleeeease revise your timeline. I cannot isolate for that long, I’m on my last nerve (as you can see by my writings), I’m cooperating, I’m cooperating, but I have no grandchildren and I want to hug my children, and my son and daughter-in-law are in Finland...

Alrighty, then. Who remembers Sloppy Joes? I was behind 2 old ladies (eavesdropping), all of us on a walking pilgrimage to the bakery, drugstore and grocery, before the most dire warnings. The lady my Mom’s age said to me “I see you back there grinning. I was saying “All the children loved them. They were great and easy for children’s birthday parties.” ” She obviously was a Mom, but must’ve been a teacher too, to have eyes in the back of her head! I was behind her.

Then she gave me a twinkly, disdainful sniff (I just know she cooked from scratch!) as if children are notorious for impaired tastebuds, in spite of every parental effort to educate their woefully deficient little palates with from-scratch cooking. I admitted that Sloppy Joe days were the best days ever in our school lunches. She allowed as how some of us never grew into sufficiently adult palates.

Again, Too true. My Dad adored spaghettios until he died. I’m going to eat a pizza when my tastebuds come back. My Mom couldn’t sleep unless there was Confederate Sugar in the house. Literally, couldn’t sleep. I’d go out to the all-night Publix to get some.

My daughter coined that term ‘Confederate Sugar’.

I’m such an uninspired cook that both of my kids took HomeEc, though my son said “It was to have a legitimate snack. Our lunches were too laaaaate...”

Back to Saturday—- I sped up, and entered the bakery ahead of my ladies, just in case we three old ladies had tastebuds of the same immaturity. Those two sped up and passed me for the drugstore, those little Imps! I’m sure they took the last chocolates, alcohol and peroxide. As they later entered the bakery, I held the door for them as I exited. They looked kind of smug. I didn’t ask them to open their bags, I didn’t need to.
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-11-2020 at 12:49 AM.

I don’t like this COVID19, I’m not ready for this stuff. I’m cooperating, I’m cooperating, but I’d rather get hit by a meteor. I’m sure all the movies, or the majority of them, are agreed upon a meteor, right?

And even then, I’d say “Wait, wait, weren’t we promised a plague? And my coat’s at the dry cleaners! I haven’t strung my 8-way-rollers yet. And the churches are closed! There has to be some loophole, I don’t think the Houses of Worship were closed during the Plagues, isn’t there a Rule about this?”

Isn’t this exactly why Drs went to medical school? Scientists, they love a challenge, this stuff is their meat and potatoes. Keep the Faith.

Thanks for the TP laugh, Kat! Actually this has been a thread of great weight, hasn’t it? A pleasure to read all of your thoughts and lives,
    love and gratitude,
    lisa
    Last edited by lisa c; 03-19-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

LOL, Lisa C, yes, we are different way over here in the east. Daughter is a hybrid, having attended grad school at U of Pittsburgh . In clarification, there are TWO Walters, one of the grandfather species, one of the 12 year old species. Both are usually deserving of all sardonic comments, eat everything, put up with my pearl mutterings, and are exactly alike ... when they're together it's like putting your head in a pinball machine filled with bouncing little Walters ... In November we all went to a concert together. We were running late, with little time for food but our drivers pulled into Burger King, to my surprise as they disapprove wisely of fast food. They ordered the Walters out of the car to fetch Whoppers, with doors flying and slamming (Walters tend to be noisy). It got very quiet in the car, my daughter turned to me in the bag and said "We figured it was the only way to shut them up" LOL ... all was silent till we entered the concert hall, sans Whoppers. Forgive my wanderings, it's nervous energy. Oh, and I hope my daughter never goes on PG and reads this LOL!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

OMG! This is all so funny Thank you, ladies

I should contribute though I can't reach your levels of induced laughter. Have anyone else seen the penguins at the Shedd Aqaurium? Lots of videos of them around now - the staff let some penguins out to putter around and explore and it's just the funniest thing.

Ida's and my routine hasn't changed at all - which is thought provoking as it shows that we already had a really good balance with no need to slow down and no problems from having to do it. We weren't socializing anyway so we're good. Have cocoa, cookies, pasta, bread, internet and Netflix. I am still able to find some café to sit and work in - in a corner, hands squeaky clean! It's not absolutely necessary but I do feel better when I can get out - especially knowing that it's likely to be paused at some point.

We were SO lucky here in Dublin that we have been able to rent an apartment in two levels so Ida has the downstairs bedroom and the living room and I have the upstairs kitchen / dining area and bedroom. I still sleep in her room (nightmares) but at least we can space out, something we both need badly for several hours a day. We also have a great view of the Jameson Distillery chimney on a large square with no cars. Lots of cafés and restaurants, two supermarkets and we can walk everywhere in central Dublin. Which is needed because I tried to drive once and I am not doing that again here. It would way too expensive in repairs. Smashed the sideview mirror, bumped it a second time and hit the curb twice. Nope, no more cars with wheel in the right hand side for me!

Lisa, I didn't bring my wedding album when we left. Though I won't look 35 again. Divorce is on its way but papers will be delayed now. Which also means that it'll be a while longer before I get my settlement. I communicate fine with ex-hubby, though, and he was helpful with transferring some of it so I could rent the apartment. The rental market is crazy in Dublin so I need the settlement to afford the apartment. But I see it as an investment in Ida's future. Right now this is needed and we aer lucky that it's possible.

Kat, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be, but I’m holding my sides, re-reading your note! China is North of you, yet the virus had to boomerang over to the US and back, to get to you guys? Dang you Aussies have some tough borders!!!! And sly wits - burying that joke right in the middle of the paragraph! Well done!

Karin, you’re doing it all right, too, lol. Watch out for stepping off the curb as well! And you boomeranged, too, didn’t you? Who knew you had to go through the Midwest to get to Ireland?

And Cath and the Walter Doppelgangers, oh you guys my sides are sore. FIERCEfreezerGirl would be proud to read your humor! Maybe. You never know with Daughters.

I propose a Toast, since I have you all semi-captive.
    To our Mothers, and our Daughters.
    To Jeremy, Kevin and Caitlin for PearlGuude, oops, PearlGuude HEY!!! that’s my SpellCheck doing this, not my knocking back Scotch in the afternoon (I should be so lucky!), and SpellCheck, you have ruined the rhythm of my toast!
    To PearlGuide, our friends in the Universe!!
    To our Moderators and Members!
    To our Fathers and Sons! Oy!

(I’m not real familiar with toasting, so maybe just pour a sip for each toast ok? For those of us drinking soda or champagne, watch those bubbles, allright?
    Last edited by lisa c; 03-29-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I read that ‘Hoi!’ was rude, so being un-rude, I took it out.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Pierogies...Cathy I love them.

Please stay safe everyone! And please check on (virtually or from a safe distance) friends and neighbors. There are so many who are afraid and alone at this time. And of course a donation to your local food bank or favorite charity would be a great way to help out.
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Who said “A virus has few friends, but many hosts.” Source, anybody? I guess I’ll google it.

ok, I googled it, No Results.

I’ll try “A virus has no friends, but many hosts”, now.

There’s no way I dreamt this up, it must’ve been said in a lecture to virologists, or epidemiologists. Maybe it’s a virology textbook title? Anybody? I’m going to email Conan O’Brien, his Dad was an epidemiologist. Maybe I heard him say it on a podcast, but that’ll take forever, to reach him by email... Has anybody sold him pearls, who could ask him?

anything related to the normal world? I’m sick of my apt.
    Last edited by lisa c; 03-19-2020 at 11:53 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Luvglitz's Avatar

Today, I ventured out to a garden center for plants to lift my spirits and break up the boredom. Seeing the gorgeous riot of color in hanging baskets and bedding plants made my heart sing. I figure that filling my outdoor containers with flowers will help lift our spirits. Temperatures should be in the 70s next week. It was a large mostly outdoor center, and it had maybe 10 customers. This is the beginning of the prime planting season before the summer heat.
    Supermarkets are more back to normal with fresh food but still no cleaning products or paper goods. Milk and eggs are hard to come by. I saw in a neighborhood online chat group someone asking if anyone raising chickens would be willing to sell some. Restaurants and bars are closed except for take out. Churches and schools are closed. We are asked to stay home. My freezers and refrigerator are stocked so basically my husband and I can hunker down.
    Take care everyone and wash your hands!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Hi guys-- it has been entertaining to read everyone's adventures.

My one son who was studying in Prague for the semester had to come home when the Czech Republic and USA closed borders. 4 cancelled flights later ( with me stress eating), he showed up to the Prague airport at 5 a.m for his 7a.m. flight last Sunday and was told that that was also cancelled. After a little run around and begging and pleading, he got a flight to Boston with a layover in Paris.

Luckily he went through screening and customs quickly. He said it was a joke: only random temp taken on a few and just routine questions. I picked him up and he had this laughable black ninja cloth mask that one of his friends gave him-- there were no hand sanitizers, etc to be found in Prague. I gave him a real mask, put mine on, made him sit in the back after I bleach wiped all of his luggage. He said he felt like a toddler again...

So we are on day 4 of his 14 day self- quarantine. Fortunately he has a bathroom attached to his bedroom and I am his servant, bringing food and snacks to a little tray table outside his room. He is being a trouper. All his classes are online now. My sister and I had planned to meet him in May when his semester ended to travel with him in Czechia for 2 weeks. I am sure we are not going. All are disappointed. The last time I was there was 1982 under communist rule. My Mom and her family were all from Prague and Czechoslovakia, so I am glad my son got to spend at least almost 2 months out of his 4 month semester.

My other son commutes to college and is on an extended break while the school figures out how to go online. He does pizza delivery and I asked him to stop. He fought me, as he wants the money, but changed his mind when he found out his boss is self quarantining after she came into contact with a Covid infected person. Scary for us.

I have plenty of frozen and dried foods, but will go once per week for a shopping run during the early "elderly" hours and to the post office as well, then.

I wish everyone well and pray that we all stay healthy.

Do you think a virus ever hatches, and is aware that s/he got a stupid host? Like, you know a virus keeps changing as it co-opts the host cells, right? Is there some awareness? So do you think it ever pops out, and says “Oh crap, this is gonna be a short run!” Or “Score! We’re headed to California, baby, this is the Dream!” or “OH My God! This is Bill Gates, we’ll have scads of genius genes, we’ll mutate forever!”

And why do we think the viruses that cross the borders with the EssentialPersonnel to Keep-the-Economy-Going are more benign than the viruses Going on Holiday? “Yeah, those damn Holiday Viruses, always looking for trouble. Why, those Working Viruses wouldn’t hurt a fly”.

But they do, Viruses hurt anybody who gets in the way. I don’t understand why anyone would think they’re immune. We all need to be careful, all the time, no complacency.

I also question the idea of Elder hours. In VirusWorld, I think a bunch of Working Viruses just want a slow target. You don’t want to have to chase your Snack up and down the aisles when you’ve only got a 10 minute break, after re-stocking shelves all night.
    Last edited by lisa c; 03-24-2020 at 09:28 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member multichrome's Avatar

Thinking of everyone here and hoping for the best. We’re home—my husband has the good fortune to be able to do his job from here, and I am a contract worker so I can choose to stay in. He has two risk factors and I have one. We’re empty nesters with elderly parents (his). Don’t want our young adult kids (or anyone) to have to take care of us if we both get sick!

I’m a crocheter so a lot of fiber objects are getting done.

Praying/holding you all in the light.

Cece

P.S. lisac: Viruses are just straight up a-holes!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

LOL, Cece!

I bought some books online in anticipation of extra time but so far I haven't had any since Ida and my days really haven't changed.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

We are now a stay at home state. I am in healthcare so I am still working. The crisis is bringing out the best in people. My furnace was acting up and I incorrectly guessed it was the igniter and bought a replacement part. My one neighbor came over to look at it and cleaned the flame sensor and it is perfect now. That was nice. My other neighbor who is our friend and is a prepper wanted us to know that is society breaks down he will protect us. He even has a water purifying system.

Today I should receive some pearl mail which will be a nice distraction. It's my day off and I will take the dogs for a walk later and do my home workout routine. My kindle is full of books and the house is clean. Not much else to do but maybe paint a bit and read.