Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Oooh, that is classic Pennyslvania ... mysterious ruins, leading through a rainforest and not returning ... a portal indeed! I would welcome a PORTAL right now, if I can choose a destination .... hmmm, Fiji? Ahe?? Palawan??? An alternate universe, but filled with friendly, helpful and wise aliens?

Instead, I've ... broken our carefully and religiously crafted (okay maniacally obsessive) quarantine of the past 5 months since looming cataract and virus to join our dearly infamous pack mule and chauffeur Walter in the ER, Hospital and on to rehab as we navigate his badly broken bones. NO, that last tiny little apple branch really did NOT need trimmed on Sunday afternoon, sigh. Yes, Walter, you could have called me from your cell phone instead of crawling the length of the yard, up the back steps, through the kitchen and dining room before calling to me to call 911 ... sigh. One ankle bone broken in multiple pieces. Tibia broken at the ankle. Fibula broken like a frayed twig at the ankle. A bunch of screws, a plate, a couple hours of surgery on Tuesday, and a surgeon said it all went well considering, and he'd need weeks of therapy before he'd build up enough upper body strength to use a walker safely, and, and, and, and ... Okay. Well, the surgeon has never met a WALTER, clearly. Wednesday morning, PT shows up, and says now "This is a walker and we'll show you ...." They never met a WALTER either, as in "Give me that thing". Hopped all around the room. Later last night, hopped all the way to the opposite side of the ward to change rooms. Moved upstairs to the 3rd floor rehab tonight. The nerve block from surgery has worn off mostly, he has no pain, and feels fine; and is doing fine medically, and has very little swelling. The power of the WALTERS LOL. Me? Dragging myself around the house trying to get ready for them to decide to get rid of him by Monday or so ... Meanwhile, I pray (as Lisa C says) no one around us took off for a secret weekend, and that we navigate the weeks ahead safely. Be well, friends.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

Cathy!! Walter!!! Ackkkkk!! What a horrible way to spend the upcoming summer. Sounds like Walter is determined to get back at it, though. Given all the breaks, it does sound like he is progressing well. I’m glad for your sake! Take care of yourself and extra big (((hugs))) to you!!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Oh my goodness, Cathy!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh poor Walter ! And poor you !! My gosh that is a terrible break - I'm glad all the surgery went well, ankles are tricky what with all the bones and ligaments. But I'm sure he will "Walter ' through rehab set a record for recovery ! Give him my best please and do take care. Such a scary thing to have happen ( gives me the 'shivers' just thinking about the break eeeek)

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Holy moly!! I am almost glad I didn't know this until you had the better news to share, Cathy. You must have been really scared. So happy you got yourself a Walter. Speedy and easy recovery to him!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

OMG, Cathy. Oh, wishing healing thoughts your way and Walter's way!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

My Dear Friends, Cathy and Walter,
    I'm so sad and shocked to hear about Walter's fall, but glad he is recovering and having little pain. Sending you both ((((virtual hugs )))). Please know I'm sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

The man is a ... WALTER. He spent 3 hours walking the hallways of rehab this morning, got a shower himself, and tomorrow he gets a scooter. His pain level varies between a 0 and a 1, and he takes a Tylenol, nerve block is completely worn off. Medical staff is stunned and at a loss to explain this ... I tried to warn them LOL. If only there wasn't a pandemic, we'd have sicced TWO WALTERS on them. They'd discharge them both before running from the room ... I'm off to take him 400 things he wants and to give him all your well wishes with our thanks; you all gave me strength! Newberry figures they'll probably send him home by Monday ..... armed with a SCOOTER. Oh dear .....
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

OMG, Cathy! OMG, Walter! Oh, oh, oh. Did he fall out of the tree? Off a low roof? Off a ladder?

Oh, but I understand that tree-climbing-trimming urge so well, plus he wouldn’t have wanted to shout across the yard and disturb the neighbors...those are among the weird thoughts that cross one’s mind after one breaks many bones. My Grandpa fell from a lower story roof, broke several ribs, collarbone, arm, concussed, but drove himself to the hospital, leaning on the car horn all the way, got there and passed out at the wheel. I think he said he needed a smoke to calm down, and didn’t think an ambulance would let him.

I’ll pray for a speedy, seamless recovery along with everybody else here. I hope you have everything you need. Is he in an over-knee cast for stability? Never mind my nosiness, you’ll be super-busy for a while.... you must’ve been so shaken. Best prayers flowing towards you all. Oh dear...I am so glad he didn’t break his back. Geez.
    Last edited by lisa c; 05-29-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I know how much that pool meant to you, Lisa. Our town pool isn't opening this year either....but the number of cases is so high in CT that we wouldn't go swimming anyway.
    Thanks for that, PD. It does, I look fwd to its opening all year, it’s a walkable distance and a boon, re heat and exercise. The water is really cold.

I called the borough office because some pools are opening, but the fellow said Not here. I said “Is this No, but I should call back weekly, in case? or BOOM! Done, no way.”?

He sighed heavily and said “BOOM, Done, no way. We can’t guaranty the conditions outside of the pool, to meet the CDC guidelines for the park. Even if we go to Green, it’s too late to staff and get programs running.”

Plus, we’re one of the small boroughs without a lot of $. I’ve heard people say on a good summer it breaks even. The borough next to us might open, so young kids might be able to hike over. We’ll see.
    Last edited by lisa c; 05-29-2020 at 10:29 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar

Oh no, Cathy! But Walter will be Walter. I had to smile at the "they don't know Walter". Lots of virtual hugs and best wishes to y'all!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Lisa, what about your library? Ours is closed, but they are planning to start a scheduled "park and pick up" service for library materials.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Oh, Cathy. Poor Walter! Thankful he is his typical feisty self through this all. Prayers for you both as the recovery continues!

Walter THANKS you all for the well wishes. He's gleefully looking forward to getting his scooter tomorrow so he can "get around faster" ... oh dear ... ! They let him inspect one today, and kick the tires ... you'd think it was a Tesla Says he feels fine, in no pain, nerve block is worn off and he needs no meds, is ready for a full set of stairs tomorrow, and no need to worry. [ATTACH]74381[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Well, Mr. Walter certainly does look chipper! Please tell him that going up and especially down stairs on a scooter is contraindicated. Bless you!