Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Default Covid-19

Life is changing before our eyes right now. A worldwide pandemic means no sports in March, cancelled trips, more hand washing, avoidance of other people. Universities have suspended classes, and we are all waiting for more coronavirus testing so that we know what we are dealing with.

A new study from Germany shows that this thing is most contagious before symptoms show.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...WwzBSNQMhT-FWM

And, I read that among the very elderly, mortality rates are about 15%.

I have cancelled my weekly massages, nonessential doctor's appointments, and am avoiding gatherings. I'm very worried about my elderly parents. Dad, at age 94, says he has to go sometime, but I seriously do not want to plan a funeral in the middle of a pandemic.

Wondering if life has changed for any of you? In any case, please be careful. We have not seen anything like this in our lifetime.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

I hope that everyone here are well. In sweden most everyone has gone totally bonkers, hording medicin and painkillers and food etc. Here everyone is told to wash hands, use sanitisers and avoid crowds. The last two weeks people has bought so much food, mostly things like canned food and pasta etc. I meet hundreds of people every day at work and hope to avoid getting sick by cleaning my hands and sanitise all the time. We are told not to use masks as they don't stop you from getting infected. Since I have asthma and almost died a couple of years ago when I mistreated a flu and got pheumonia I have to be careful. I am of course worried, mostly for my mother, her asthma is worse and she is older. I hope that someone creates a vaccin or at least some medicin that works fast.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

We are taking it very seriously, yes. I have stocked up and will have no need to go out among people for at least the next few weeks, and probably longer. My husband and daughter have begun coming straight home after work; no nonessential shopping or other running around. The weather is nice, so if we get cabin fever we can always go for walks.

H and I are both at increased risk due to our health issues and age. H works mostly alone, but D works at a coffee shop. She and her fellow employees all wear gloves and sanitize surfaces often, but they can't avoid exposure from the hundreds of customers who come in daily. As soon as she gets home she tosses her work clothes into the washer and takes a shower.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst....

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Thank you for asking, Red; much appreciated. We and our extended family are all well here in PA, so far ... if you don't count worry as a symptom. We've been in limited public since January thanks to cataract surgeries for Walter etc., but have had to go out to replenish supplies a few times. We are also being as cautious as possible; choosing uncrowded stores, times, liberal use of sanitizing and back home. Like all families we have a number at higher risk due to health considerations and age. Travel is looking less likely by the day, for the foreseeable future. I am increasingly grateful for beauty where I can find it, in books, music, the earliest flowers appearing in my yard, my dog, friends and family on internet (especially pearl friends!), knitting and PEARLS . One amusing note: Grandson (age 12 now) texted my daughter "Yay, Mom ... school is closed for 2 weeks!". By the time he walked in the door, she handed him the notice and the news "Congratulations, you are now enrolled in bi-lingual CyberSchool!". Fully vetted, accredited and ready Monday lol. When he whined it wouldn't be needed as they'd be back in school in 2 weeks, the other shoe dropped "Oh, well you are so lucky as ... you can go to BOTH schools!". Stay safe and be well friends; we love you all.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Having grown up with parent who lived through the Great Depression, it was grilled into us as children to have a well stocked pantry & freezer. Since I am NOT going out, we're in pretty good shape. Hubby will go tomorrow to pick up dog food for the fur babies. People around here have gone completely insane. My neighbor told me the shelves at the stores are empty of hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, bottle water, bread, & toilet paper. What's with the toilet paper hoarding. She took a pic of a woman with a buggy stacked high with toilet paper & the back of her SUV was already half full on toilet paper & bottled water. She had a 2 yr supply of TP!!! It's insane! People have lost their minds!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

How quickly life can change. I will be cancelling my mid-April trip to Paris and losing all the money I paid for airfare and hotel. C’est la vie. Since I’m both old and have reduced lung function, I am planning to stay inside until this thing goes away or a vaccine comes out. My daughter works at Cartier and I’m frightened for her health as she is prone to pneumonia. Her constant exposure to the public means I can’t be around her. As long as the grocery store delivers and my wifi works, I’m good.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I saw it coming, since before it reached Europe, so I had already added the little food that Ida and I eat in quantaties that means we won't go hungry if we can't go out for 2 weeks. We are on our own here in Dublin so I need to think ahead. Most people only realized a few days ago it was serious when the schools were announced closed. That was the day after Denmark called back all Danes on vacation (but not those living abroad) and closed the borders.

It feels very stange to stick this one out among strangers but we are very comfortable in an apartment that offers us both the privacy we need if we can't go out and neither of us have health issues. So far our daily routines haven't changed at all. My son in Denmark got sent home from his gap year boarding school and is none too happy but I already gave him a list of what he could profitably spend his time on Only living relative that might have issues is ex-hubby's mother but she did get through a pheumonia last winter and hopefully can get through a second, worst case scenario.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Luvglitz's Avatar

Texas is absolutely bonkers. On a recent trip to my local supermarket, the store looked like it had been looted. There were empty shelves everywhere and not just paper goods. More then a few people must feel they can survive on canned tuna fish because there wasn’t any. There wasn’t ground beef as well. My husband and I have decided we will “shelter in place” and stay home from our usual daily activities for at least two weeks. . We are both retired so no obstacle there. I was an ER nurse, and I’m chagrined to say I’m glad I am retired.

I’m thinking of all the pearls I can restring!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

KarinK, sounds like you were wisely ahead of the curve. Stay safe and let us know how you're doing; you're not alone ... and give Ida our best wishes.

Luvglitz, the weird things people are hoarding in PA are beyond all sense. I admit to asking Walter if he wanted me to get a few packs of Tuna when we went out for a quick restock. There was, to my surprise, plenty on the shelves. His answer was something along the lines of "I'd rather starve". We do admit to some pearl hoarding ... .
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Korea- we have more than 8000 patients now.. slowing down..
    We are almost forced to wear masks everywhere. can't enter banks, shops wearing them.
    hand sanitizers are everywhere. even in elevators and building entrances (my hands are so dry from all the washing and hand sanitizers
    but oh well)
    Govt gave us free masks and can buy 2 a week per person.
    other than masks, we can find everything easily..noone is stocking up or anything.
    many places have short working hours or work at home.
    school has been closed for 3 weeks but govt is trying to extend the vacation.
    most of our airports are closed as 140 countries banned us from coming in...
    I guess i'm stuck here until other countries are safe also.
    hope everyone stays safe.. and have normal life at least in the summer

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Cathy, what seemed like a mistake had us leave Chicago a month earlier than planned. I was fuming. But looking back, we wouldn't have been ready for this in time and the amazing apartment we have right now (two stories so a room for us on each floor, walk everywhere, supermarket in the block) would have been rented to someone else.

Seoulite - hang in there! You are ahead of us now so should be clear sooner than us as well. I know a couple from South Korea who are on vacation in Ireland right now, got here Thursday. They were actually let in, checked many times before leaving, just hope nothing moves so fast they can't get back later this week.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

My handweavers conference this weekend was cancelled. My husband's Ph.D. department reunion next weekend was canceled. We can't get our money back from the hotels.

On the plus side, I do computer tech support and they have finally told us to work from home until further notice.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Things in NE of Pittsburgh seem pretty quiet. I live in a SrStorageTower and we’re on sort of orange alert. The ladies that play cards in the lounge downstairs are somewhere else. Events are cancelled here, and staff have the metal shutter down at the office, but that doesn’t surprise me. They all had a very bad bug from the beginning of the last week of Dec to over New Years. It was fast moving and didn’t discriminate, it hit the young computer tech (late 20s) as well as the oldest, the building manager. They don’t want to go through it again. Also there are lots of old people here, so ambulances are a sad but fairly routine event.

I haven’t seen anyone masking-up in the building, but the old folks here have seen a lot, and survived a lot. Maybe that’s why they’re matter-of-fact. The building is kept well, every night the water fountain is all shiny, floors are always cleaned, even before the pandemic they were careful. (Except for the community computer keyboard, which was just gross. I cleaned it 2x and decided it was hopeless last year.)

I’m seeing grandparents groc shopping and at the drugstore with little kids. The kids (about 2-8yo) seem to have typical kid stuff (wet coughs). I’ve seen a woman hacking on a checkout machine. That was gross. I thought everyone knew to cough into the elbow by now, but I guess not. I haven’t seen any face masks on the street. There were a couple of people in a restaurant on the avenue. The groc store was crowded. It’s a walking community, like the one Karin mentioned.

Is anyone from our pearl farming-and-associated community in China, or Vietnam, or Japan or Southern Seas willing (or able) to check in? If not, I believe we’d pretty much all like to extend our respect and concern and well-wishes.

Thanks for your link Red, it led to some good intel.

Thanks Seoulite for checking in. Hang in there!

Virions motto - Have International Airport, Will Travel! It’s just the way it is.
    Last edited by lisa c; 03-29-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Here in Seattle everything is closing down except essential shops and businesses. My work is always done from home but it is a change to have both my husband and college daughter home as well (her school is all online now). I was due to have minor surgery next week but all elective surgeries are being canceled. Husband had a weird flu in February so possibly he has already had it, but otherwise we are not sick and hoping to stay that way!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Well, things seem to be stepping up a level in Pittsburgh, in my building from ‘Orange’ to ‘Orange Plus’, pushing for isolation especially. People are really good-hearted in this area, and the impulse is still “if you’re young and healthy, maybe get out there and help out, go see if anyone old or poor needs some food or something delivered”, which isn’t necessarily the safe thing...that was suggested by a local newscaster, btw.

Sadly, I saw a news clip of school-kitchen workers putting lunches together for delivery to kids at home - and in the background one person rubbed her hand over her nose and eyes, and then resumed packing food. Oh Noooooooo!!!!!! Yes, I saw it.

So, I guess we can just do our best and pray that the efforts outweigh the mistakes, because this all feels uncertain.

The streets are pretty empty from my window. The big city is ghost-town-ish, govt bldgs mostly shut down. Having confirmed-COVID19 cases here is challenging for those who want to brush this off as no worse than flu. Folks are sneaking around here in my building, quietly moving their card games out of the public rooms and into their own.
    Last edited by lisa c; 03-24-2020 at 06:56 PM.