Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akoya or FWP's?

Default Akoya or FWP's?

We just got the latest (and last for a while) addition to the collection. It combines two of her loves, Pearls and lately Amethysts
    (and of course sparkles). The pearls are 6-6.5mm and the piece is 18". The clasp doubles as a brooch as well. They look like Akoyas to me but that means absolutely nothing. They need a re-string should we use synthetic or wire to better hold the weight? Can you all give me your opinions? As always thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

The pearls look very round and the clasp is beautiful. I would re-knot them on Pattye's Serafil thread found at PatriciaSaabDesigns on Etsy. I would not use wire.
    Last edited by Marianne; 09-29-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

That's a beautiful clasp! It looks like you wear that in the front. I agree with Marianne in using BS. It will hang better using BS.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

White pearls with gems and diamonds- how classic and gorgeous.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

OOOO, love the clasp. I also recommend stringing on Beader's Secret, not wire.

God knows I'm no expert, but they look like decent quality, well-matched freshwater to me. I see a few eggy shapes along the strand, and the luster seems like a soft, freshwater glow rather than that harder akoya shine. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWanes View Post
    God knows I'm no expert, but they look like decent quality, well-matched freshwater to me. I see a few eggy shapes along the strand, and the luster seems like a soft, freshwater glow rather than that harder akoya shine. Just my two cents.
    Thanks for weighing in Brian! That "glow" was apparent to me as well and that more than shape had me questioning what they are.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I assume you tested for grittiness and the pearls are real, then I'd guess akoyas.

It's certainly a gorgeous piece, either way the clasp is stunning, and I love that it can be used as a brooch. Multipurpose/convertible jewels have such a Queen Elizabeth vibe to me. Like, can't decide which tiara to wear to dinner? Bust out your tiny, monogrammed screwdriver and wear one as a necklace! So classy!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWanes View Post
    It's certainly a gorgeous piece, either way the clasp is stunning, and I love that it can be used as a brooch. Multipurpose/convertible jewels have such a Queen Elizabeth vibe to me. Like, can't decide which tiara to wear to dinner? Bust out your tiny, monogrammed screwdriver and wear one as a necklace! So classy!
    My love of "convertible" pieces is selfish I'm afraid... hopefully fewer purchases! lol
    Some years ago I had an antique diamond bracelet watch which was broken beyond repair converted to a bracelet with a "halo" center with removable/interchangeable emerald center stone with the same motivation!

Back from Long's on silk and monofilament. She loves it and just in time for the Ides of March (our 33rd) of which my brother keeps telling me to beware.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Beautiful necklace & gorgeous clasp.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Spectacular!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

WOWZA! I love it.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member multichrome's Avatar

It’s a gorgeous piece. I love the clasp/brooch, and the pearls are so glowy. May you both enjoy them!