Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    I agree with Jersey Pearl, Sarah is ground zero with her information. John Tu pretty much stopped carrying fw, and mostly has Akoya, SS and Tahitians. He is planning to retire; I'm not happy about that! (Good thing I have a stash of pearls, right?)

This is an excellent discussion; I hope others will chime in!
    Oh, so sorry to hear John Tu is not carrying FW anymore, he has always had a nice selection. I will miss him when he retires -- coming down March 20th to see him and hopefully you, Pattye!

With all the advances in Edison pearls, it's I suppose not a surprise if they are carrying the techniques down into the smaller sizes.

I thought Sarah's comments on Instagram were really interesting too. Excited to see your Wen pearls when they arrive and hear what you think of them!

lisa c, I didn't see your photo of the strand when I first read this thread, now it popped up! That's a really lovely strand and will be so wearable when restrung.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Hi Jill, it is pretty (except for the clasp, which is only plated and worn, so doesn’t photograph well at all). Mom’s strand wasn’t in the original post, and I added it because the pearls were from the same era as the little pearls from Pattye/JohnTu, and actually got worn!

The big and small tissue-only nucleated pearls are really hardy. I’m tempted to buy some of the little pearl-plated-beads (pearls) to bang around on my wrist with the older cfw pearls, to see if they’re equally robust. (They’re awfully round and pretty, and any excuse will do).

I Sort of hijacked the thread, but didn’t intend to. I’m so jealous that you get to hang with the Portland Kids! Have fun!
    Last edited by lisa c; 02-25-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

Pretty pearls lisa C.

If tissue nucleated FW pearls become more rare I wonder if the soft pastel colors they possess will become passe. Or perhaps they will become collector items as time passes. It will be interesting to see. Right now I only like the very high quality Edisons with very smooth nacre or the ripple pearls. I don't like the "in between" type Edison pearls that are round with slightly wavy nacre and particularly dislike those with deep pin prick inclusions. Even if that type of inclusion is tiny it draws my eye like a beacon. I suppose it is because there is no underlying nacre to reflect light back.

G&PLover, you’re cracking me up! Like, how intense is that beacon? Can you see dimples on other people’s pearls from a yard away, and do you flinch? Or the beacon only stops you from buying them for yourself?

I find really deep Michelin-man grooves disturbing that way, and the very coarse grainy stuff of some pearl surfaces (but that’s because I had a very rough time with chicken pox, and so did my kids. I was a VeryNotZen mother when my kids suffered with chicken pox, and nose bleeds. I was like “oh my God! Another blister????, no, no, no, no, no....”, and “OK, your nose has been bleeding for over an hour, I think I’m going to have a heart attack now”.).

Good thing there’s always somebody to be liking these pearls, it takes away the guilt/rejection factor. I can tell a part of you feels guilty for not loving these poor dimpled pearls, right? Maybe only by 1%, but it’s there. Your posts reveal a soft side!
    Last edited by lisa c; 02-25-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Pattye, I’m re-reading your posts, and did you reveal that you have a Stash? Of JohnTu all-nacre CFW? Oh, sad day that you let that slip! The HungryPearlers will be circling...

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Pattye, I’m re-reading your posts, and did you reveal that you have a Stash? Of JohnTu all-nacre CFW? Oh, sad day that you let that slip! The HungryPearlers will be circling...
    Lol, Lisa, it's true. Not sure the "HungryPearlers" want what I have, we'll see.

Gemandpearlover, interesting question about certain colors becoming passe. I would hope not. We are seeing so many cool shapes from fw that we don't get from saltwater pearls. (petal/cornflake, coin, ovals/rice, fireballs, just to name a few) Like a garden of flowers, certain colors make a splash and are at times more popular; farmers will focus on what is most profitable, generally the rounder, more perfect, colorful pearls. Factoring in personal preferences, Lisa, hopefully we'll continue to see the wide availability of all types.

JillM, looking forward to Gem Faire also! I'm impatiently waiting for the pearl shipment from Wen. John Tu still had a few fw at the last show.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pattye, I'm looking forward to your order. If you're going to be hammering pearls, you should take vid. Would be fun if you vlogged your adventures in drilling too!