Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Fake ebay Mikimoto’s? “Vintage 14K M clasp”??

    I was super excited to win the auction for these seemingly beautiful Mikimoto vintage pearls with a gold clasp and mini pearl on the clasp. The clasp has the M hallmark but says “14K” which after much research, could indicate that these Mikis are fake.

    I haven’t paid yet but I’m totally gutted that they could be fake. Someone please tell me this isn’t true and that Mikimoto did indeed make 14K clasps at one point?

    Here are some photos below
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,059

    Default

    BWeaves is knowledgeable about Mikimoto...hopefully she will weigh in soon.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    BWeaves is knowledgeable about Mikimoto...hopefully she will weigh in soon.
    Thank you so much Pearl Dreams! I am trying to desperately convince myself that maybe the clasp says 750 and not 14K... I’ve asked the seller for a better photo of the hallmark on the back to calm my fears

  4. #4
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,059

    Default

    Call them and ask if they ever had 14K yellow gold clasps with a pearl. They are open now according to their website, until midnight Pacific time.
    Call us at 1-844-341-0579
    Sun - Thurs, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
    Fri - Sat 10:00 a.m. - midnight PST

  5. #5
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    278

    Default

    I know Mikimoto has used silver clasps in the past. That they used 14k seems reasonable to me, but I don't know. There are fake Mikimoto clasps out there. I'm sorry not to be of any help.

  6. #6
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,921

    Default

    I have 2 Mikimoto clasps from my mother's double strand of AA Mikimoto pearls. She had both strands restrung on a double clasp. I have the original single clasps. My sister got the pearls. I got the clasps. Sigh.

    The clasps are marked 750, which is 18K gold.

    Name:  6710F20E-BCDF-4E19-92F2-A0D1C36D356C_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  116.8 KB

    Name:  D37C62BC-498C-4AAB-B9F5-D27845FEFED9_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  92.1 KB

    Photo quality of your photos does not allow me to see enough detail in the clasp. But to me, the M is the wrong shape. The outer legs angle out, whereas the M on my clasp are vertical. The number is not 750. The back of your clasp is not the same shape, and there are no horizontal bars on the back of your clasp. I can't see enough detail on the face of the clasp to see if the carving is the same, but I suspect they took more trouble with getting the front right.

    I took a couple more photos with a US quarter since that is what they are using for scale.

    Name:  9FA2127F-CFC6-4AFB-A08C-1B10DDAB40F9_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  98.0 KB

    My clasp looks slightly larger than your clasp.

    Name:  D101E48C-BB79-455D-9F7E-80A32311CD59_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  126.9 KB

    I would recommend you talk to Mikimoto. I know they used to use silver clasps originally, but I thought they when they switched to gold, that they used 18K only.

    Here's a link to Ruby Lane's Mikimoto pearls. The sellers show the fronts and backs of the different clasps. It's good to look just to compare the different clasps they used over the years.

    https://www.rubylane.com/search?q=mikimoto&sb=1
    Last edited by BWeaves; 02-16-2020 at 12:44 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have 2 Mikimoto clasps from my mother's double strand of AA Mikimoto pearls. She had both strands restrung on a double clasp. I have the original single clasps. My sister got the pearls. I got the clasps. Sigh.

    The clasps are marked 750, which is 18K gold.

    Name:  6710F20E-BCDF-4E19-92F2-A0D1C36D356C_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  116.8 KB

    Name:  D37C62BC-498C-4AAB-B9F5-D27845FEFED9_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  92.1 KB

    Photo quality of your photos does not allow me to see enough detail in the clasp. But to me, the M is the wrong shape. The outer legs angle out, whereas the M on my clasp are vertical. The number is not 750. The back of your clasp is not the same shape, and there are no horizontal bars on the back of your clasp. I can't see enough detail on the face of the clasp to see if the carving is the same, but I suspect they took more trouble with getting the front right.

    I took a couple more photos with a US quarter since that is what they are using for scale.

    Name:  9FA2127F-CFC6-4AFB-A08C-1B10DDAB40F9_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  98.0 KB

    My clasp looks slightly larger than your clasp.

    Name:  D101E48C-BB79-455D-9F7E-80A32311CD59_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  126.9 KB

    I would recommend you talk to Mikimoto. I know they used to use silver clasps originally, but I thought they when they switched to gold, that they used 18K only.

    Here's a link to Ruby Lane's Mikimoto pearls. The sellers show the fronts and backs of the different clasps. It's good to look just to compare the different clasps they used over the years.

    https://www.rubylane.com/search?q=mikimoto&sb=1
    Oh wow, THANK YOU for the amazing information and attached... the details. The size of the clasp on this one compared to yours is extremely different. I’m feeling very uneasy about this. I guess good thing I haven’t paid?

    I am also feeling uneasy because I asked the seller to send me in focus photos of the back of the clasp so I can read what it says below the M and they responded with “K14” but no photos attached... which makes this whole thing seem very fishy..

    I’ll give Mikimoto a call just to confirm the 14k vs 18k deal but I think I will pass on this one due to my gut telling me it’s not the real deal.

    Thank you for your immense help

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Call them and ask if they ever had 14K yellow gold clasps with a pearl. They are open now according to their website, until midnight Pacific time.
    Call us at 1-844-341-0579
    Sun - Thurs, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
    Fri - Sat 10:00 a.m. - midnight PST
    Thank you! I’ll give them a call this weekend to confirm but I’m feeling fishy about this whole transaction

  9. #9
    Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,108

    Default

    I do hope you are able to get additional information from Mikimoto. The pearls themselves appear to be a good quality.
    Pattye


    PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

    facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

    SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

  10. #10
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    1,745

    Default

    You might also want to keep in mind that even if the clasp is Mikimoto, that doesn't really say anything about the pearls except for checking if they are nice quality akoya pearls.

    - Karin

  11. #11
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    858

    Default

    If you are feeling fishy about it, don't buy. The doubt will hound your mind if you do.

  12. #12

    Default

    Thanks everyone! The seller did end up sending me two photos of the back of the clasp but I still didn’t pay because I’m a bit uncomfortable. I sent an email to Mikimoto and tried their customer service line but nobody picked up; I probably called too late/after hours so I’ll have to try again!

    Name:  A0CBF61B-0018-4ED4-824C-89846B840A92.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  13.1 KBName:  2BC3D11E-FF19-43E0-8F76-D2E340A4166A.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  15.3 KB

  13. #13
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Helen In Texas
    Posts
    1,853

    Default

    The photos you provided are really too small to see details. One thing to remember is that originals will always be very clean fonts and workmanship. If it is sloppy or off centered, most likely it is fake. I have bought items with 14k on them and when the metal was tested, it failed the acid test. Also, BPPD tried to get a collection of Miki clasps, but it seems Mikimoto doesn't really keep a record of their clasps, so it is hard to see the different designs over the years. I thought at one time they used 14k. but I don't recall the design. Do you know what year or decade these pearls are from? My mother's Miki's clasp is 750, 18k too and I think she bought it in the 90s.

    I have seen fake Mikimoto clasps on ebay, so do be aware of fakes.
    Last edited by amti; 02-28-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Fake Mikimoto pearl clasp?
    By Pearlluver81 in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2019, 04:42 PM
  2. Vintage Pearls with Opal Clasp
    By boaconrp in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-09-2017, 07:15 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2017, 11:11 AM
  4. Unusual Mikimoto bracelet or fake?
    By aas996 in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 06:01 AM
  5. Newbie seeking help!! Fake Mikimoto?? bought on eBay..:(
    By Simplypearl in forum Pearls on eBay Q & A
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM