Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member multichrome's Avatar

Thank you, BWeaves. As it’s coming from China, I may get to anticipate it for a good while before it arrives. I just really loved that particular strand, or else I might have waited to order anything. I love purple, and that image shows a very purply strand.

I’ve about decided to wire wrap these large pearls with gold wire and make a bracelet by linking them. Then I’ll have enough pearls even without the one with the thread and bit of reamer stuck in it. They are so heavy that I‘m starting to think that thread will not support them in a secure manner. without frequent restringing. So I’m brushing up on my wire loops, and looking for a pretty gold S-clasp for them. Or I may make a clasp. I haven’t worked with wire much this year but I’m totally up for it once I’ve practiced some.

I’ll post the result here eventually. Thank you all for following the saga!

The purply strand is supposed to arrive by the end of the week. Yay!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Have we ever tried silicone lubricant on a drilled-through pearl, to push anything through, that was stuck?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I use silicone lube on my loom to make sure the wood and metal parts slide easily against each other. It's nasty stuff. Smells horrible. I'd be afraid to put it on pearls. Then again, the pearl is practically a lost cause with the stuck hole.

Does silicone lube come in forms other than spray, B? I should look that up, and not bother you... I was trying to figure out how to use it without getting the whole pearl slippery and impossible to control. I love that spray for wood drawers, keeps them easy moving without gunking up.

Maybe I'll see if the silicone spray hurts a pearl I have. It’s very hard to be patient, and let the stuff work...
    Last edited by lisa c; 02-25-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I haven't really looked to see what forms silicone lube comes in. I'm still on my first spray can of it. I don't use very much at one time, so it's lasted me years. I think my husband would prefer it if it came in a tube. Less lube in the air. It would make it easier to get where I want it, too.

OK, I googled it. If you get it from a car place, it does come in a tube. If you just google silicone lube, you get kinky stuff. Be warned.

Oh, B! Let me catch my breath! You guys have been cracking me up! Um, thank you so much for ‘breasting the wave’, so to speak, takin’ one for the team, erm, giving me a heads-up...oh, this is awful (roflmao)...

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Haha, you guys are too funny.

Yes, Ma’am (settling down) (smothered laughter).

Well, THIS thread took a turn, hahaha!

I’m learning to do loops properly so I can make this strand up as a bracelet by wire wrapping. Does that count as beading in the sense of the forum? I found a tutorial that I like a lot. The first few attempts were terrible, but that’s how it goes with learning. Today I’m doing much better with my wraps. Thanks for looking!

Name:  E45677E3-26C6-42F3-B00A-EDD4AD38035E.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  0EA3AEBF-B039-4DA7-985B-307E503D7EBA.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  8133E4E9-4DA1-4A33-B24B-401CC8D0DE75.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  61.3 KB

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

Those are looking good - just tuck in the tail in the second pearl from the left on the top photo.

I would try to make the loops a little smaller, so it looks neater and more proportional, but the basic skill is there

Thank you, Lady_Disdain! That one with the tail was not quite finished— I wanted to photograph them while we still had a little sun! Will definitely trim it.

I’ve marked my round nose pliers to help me make smaller loops on these in future. I’m redoing them on sterling wire once I get better at making the components. I’ve learned the hard way not to use good wire when I’m trying to learn a new skill.

Thanks again for inspecting!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

You're doing well, Multichrome! Wire wrapping totally comes under the heading of beading! It's pretty much about practice! Good idea to mark the pliers.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Y'all's feedback is always useful. I'm thrilled that I found a tutorial that helped me finally understand a good, secure wrap, and that I can reliably produce mostly-symmetrical bead wraps.

One of my ambitions is to make my own station/tin cup jewelry, so making decent wraps at last is exciting for me. Optimistically ordered 24 gauge sterling wire today.

Always grateful for your advice and support!

@multichrome: that looks good, your thread is really helpful. I am learning how to wrap properly as well.
    Can anyone please give me a link for tutorials? I have some similar project in mind