Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am back! And switching to collecting minerals

Hi guys! This is Rose Nguyen and I have been inactive on the group for probably more than a year. You probably don't know or forgot me already, and tbh I hope you kinda did because I feel so guilty (eek).
    Anyway, after attending the annual Ruckus 2018, I treated myself a museum-travel trips to several states and cities on the east coast of US. I visited Harvard Museum of Natural History. Their mineral collection changed my world. I was mesmerized with the huge varieties of crystal habits, the detailed information tags that show the specimens' locality, the lighting, the display, etc. And just like with pearls, for months I spent an intensive amount of efforts to learn about minerals, and I got obsessed with it and started to join mineral collecting groups to gain more knowledge.
    Tbh I haven't bought pearls for quite a while. I still love them, but I realized I want to 'collect' them more than actually 'wear' them, and I kinda feel like I have enough 'specimens' to sate my interest.
    In this post I hope to share my enthusiasm, pictures of my collection, reconnect with pearl collectors, and renew my interest for pearls.2020-01-22-02-59-12.jpg2019-05-06-22-18-40.jpg20200122_023812.jpg20200122_023941.jpg20200122_023458.jpg
    Last edited by nnguye20; 01-22-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Really fine specimens, nnguyen20!
    So more difficulties to shoot pearls than minerals
    The round nacre seems a mystery for auto focus.
    To collect pearls is so a great field of discoveries than minerals, regarding the variety of pearls beauties and origins.
    A very good idea and an unlimited passion.
    Thank you to share your treasures!
    Last edited by ericw; 01-22-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Such a beautiful collection of gems, Rose! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

Thank you so much ericw! Pearls are indeed harder to shoot, especially the white one (well white minerals themselves are a pain too).
    Pearls are actually the only mineral that I appreciate in both designed jewelry and in raw forms as a collector. By themselves each of the pearl is a unique beauty, but on jewelry I like that the designers tend to enhance their natural beauty using artistic skills and tastes.

Thank you Marianne, I'm glad you like my pictures!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love gems and minerals as much as I love pearls. Pearls are easier to wear and therefore keep with me at all times. Your collection is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

BWeaves do you collect gems and minerals too? Pearls are indeed easier to wear and make me feel so fabulous! But whenever I wear something like a necklace or earrings I keep wanting to take them off to look at the pearls.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Your photos are just wonderful, Rose! Of course I remember you from Ruckus! Perhaps pearl bracelets would give you something to look at frequently; some of us really enjoy our bracelets for that very reason! I studied about gemstones on my own long before I discovered pearls.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Beautiful photographs !! Thanks so much for sharing your collection !!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

I agree you, nnguye20, pearls raw forms inspire many designs there sizes allow to wear.
    It would be difficult to wear nice minerals you show . Many of them are fragile, too.
    It's interesting to point that calcite, CaCO3, crystals are nearly the same element that pearls nacre (aragonite, CaCO3 too).
    About photos, the only way I have found to shoot a pearl without enough good camera is to take the picture from a bit far, with the highest definition, then to crop the picture... But I have never made miracles.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Hi Rose! I remember you well from Ruckus; it's so nice to "see" you here visiting again Your mineral and pearl specimen shots are wonderful; thanks for sharing. Husband and I have a very tiny collection of minerals: Just a few geodes and fossilized wood pieces. Gems and pearls are all jewelry for me, unless I have a few that just aren't set. I have a lovely cushion cut lighter blue sapphire I just have never found the right setting for. Otherwise, it's into a piece of jewelry. I hate when I can't see the piece while I'm wearing it though, so much more fun when it's a bracelet or a longer rope necklace so I can play with the pearls.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

I have wondered where you were off to, nnguye20. Fabulous new hobby, and looks like you are also into photography. The photos and specimens are wonderful!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar

Hello Rose! Nice to have you back. I remember you from Ruckus I love your collection of minerals. On pearls, I used to wear shorter strands, but more and more I want to wear ropes because that means I can look at them. Bracelets and rings are also nice, but I am such a klutz I worry about bracelets. Thanks for the photos; I love the tahitian with the bump on the top.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Hi Rose! You've acquired some really neat gems! I like the golden ssp and its orgins. I like ropes and bracelets for my really pretty pearls because I can see them in all sorts of light. If they are on rings, I have to be very careful I don't bump them.