Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

I spent hours wrapping Christmas presents today. I would take a break in between and string some pearls. I am getting pretty fast at stringing them so they don't take too long. Today's stringing:

All nacre untreated FW pearls. Some nice pond slime pearls in the mix. The rice pearls are pretty big.

Name:  IMG_3467.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3468 (1).jpg
Views: 260
Size:  42.0 KB

Bigger white FW pearls. I keep taking these apart and trying to find a way to love these strands. I removed the gemstone beads and strung one strand with Plum and the other with Royal Beader's secret.

Name:  IMG_3486.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3483.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  36.9 KB

Reject Tahitians. I strung these using pearls I rejected or removed from strands. Seemed a shame to just leave them in a plastic bag.

Name:  reject.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  54.7 KB

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Wow, you are fast!
    What do you think it is about the white freshwaters that isn’t working for you?

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Sometimes I wonder if our brains get so used to the stimulation and visual complexities of Tahitians, that white pearls seem tame. Before I had Tahitians, I found white pearls pretty satisfying, could inspect them for subtle color changes for long periods. Now Tahitians pull me in, and more frequently.

I think in short-hand we call it “the Go-to” around here. What do you guys think?

Hmmmm.......Sydk. I thing maybe LisaC is right that white pearls seem tame. These pearls are good quality but maybe because they are so big and somewhat formal? I feel lukewarm about my golden SS pearls too.

Lisa I do think Tahitians seem to be the most popular pearls on this forum. They pull me in too. What really has my interest now is the all nacre metallic FW pears. Especially the lavenders or the golden rainbow ones. They are so beautiful.

Pendants! Where have they been all my life? My jewelry collection previously only had one antique gold brooch that I use as a pendant. I bought a little pink freshie strand that came with earrings for under $5 on Ebay. I thought the clasp and earrings were worth the price alone. I strung the pearls and added a golden SS pendant. Took apart the dangle earrings and put them on these sterling findings for a more modern feel. I bought a Haserot Angel pendant on Etsy and can use this strand for that when it comes.

Name:  IMG_3502.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  98.7 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Now that is majestic!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well done , looks terrific !!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Your strand, pendant and earrings are so pretty. I love enhancers, I only ever put them on pearl strands that are small enough to be used as a chain or hang them on a clasp but they are so versatile. About white pearls, they have to be rather special for me to wear on their own, like my white south sea strand. Otherwise I get bored, it's surely all the colorful pearls fault. I use to love wearing a smallish graduated strand of vintage akoyas, then I bought tahitians. After a while even better tahitians and my white south seas and my golden south seas and my rainbow strand. I haven't worn even my good akoya strand, I have a gorgeous 8 mm strand with a white gold and diamond clasp, in years. When I hold it next to my white south seas the south seas wins every time, they are that lustrous. I told my family that the akoyas can be a family heirloom to be used if there is a special occasion. My mother used those on my fathers funeral. And the children might wed one day. Those are the only "traditional" pearls that I have left. The other akoyas I have remade.... And my family, except for my daughter, don't much understands pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if our brains get so used to the stimulation and visual complexities of Tahitians, that white pearls seem tame. Before I had Tahitians, I found white pearls pretty satisfying, could inspect them for subtle color changes for long periods. Now Tahitians pull me in, and more frequently.

I think in short-hand we call it “the Go-to” around here. What do you guys think?
    I think you have a great insight... after reading your post, and thinking about my Tahitian obsession I can agree... color and complexities those are the characteristics I try to find in all of them. After learning about all the different variations of colors it’s difficult to settle for just white. Don’t get me wrong, I still love them, but I’m always trying to find those with orient. Probably why I tend to work more with FWP Keshis.
    Jennifer
    DTailsULike
    @DTailsULike: Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter

The Haserot Angel AKA “The Angel of Death Victorious” can be found at Lakeview cemetery in Cleveland Ohio. I have visited this cemetery twice and it is haunting. It is also a dangerous place to be so if you visit use caution. You will find President Garfield's monument there with its other-worldly gargoyles that stand watch on top of the brick monument. My friends would not understand my fascination with the Haserot Angel or my fascination with Sugar skulls. So for the most part I keep that hidden, but I will wear this necklace at home and on the Day of the Dead and Halloween. This necklace is composed of dyed grey FW teardrop pearls 11mm in size, skull howlite beads, a Haserot Angel pendant, and a magnetic clasp. Made some mismatchy earrings to complete the look.

Name:  IMG_3517.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3521.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2NiOWE2ODA4NmMzYTdhMjQ5Nl9BbmdlbF9vZl9EZWF0aF9WaWN0b3Jpb3Vz.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  gettyimages-594205567-2048x2048.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  GetImage.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  116.7 KB
    Last edited by Gemandpearlover; 12-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Fascinating! I'd never heard of the Haserot angel.

Those are unusually nice dyed FWP. I would have assumed they were Tahitians.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

My husband would love that necklace. The SKULLS. I like it, too. I've never heard of the Haserot angel before, either.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Such a fun skull strand, I would totaly wear it to work.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

This thread, it just keeps getting better and better! I’d never heard of the Haserot Angel either, but wow! That’s a moving sculpture, powerful and beautiful. I wonder if trains run there from Pittsburgh, I bet they do.

oh, this is exciting, Amtrak of course! goes to Cleveland, the capitol express, which is a lovely comfortable train. Oh, something to think about.

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

Gemandpearlover, I have just now stumbled on this thread. How fun! You created some great pieces. I have always liked the colors in pondslime pearls but have yet to buy any. I’ll have to keep an eye out... Looking forward to seeing more of your projects since there’s a lot more winter left.