Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

Thank you Amti, Cathykeshi, Pattye, Charlotta and multichrome! I have been inspired by the lovely creations on this site. I am still waiting for my small button metallic freshies and my new apatite beads to arrive. I think those will be a lot of fun to work with. Also I need to learn how to wire wrap- I have never done that before and it looks fun.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

I am sure that you learn wirewrapping quickly. I had wirewrapping as a project for my summer vacation 1 1/2 years ago. I bought two books, some tools, silver wire and some other findings that the books recommended. I should have used some other wire but the shop I found online only had silver and gold wire and I clearly have no patience. I have saved all of my silvery mistakes in a box, that online shop also buys scraps. It's really fun, wirewrapping that is, I sat for hours and did strain my eyes, so good lighting is a recommendation.

Thank you for the advice Charlotta! I will definitely take it when learning wirewrapping.

Do you guys remember a few years back when PP was selling exotic metallic rice pearls? I hadn't yet discovered pearls back then but lucky pearl lovers snatched up those glorious strands. I found this out when reading old forum posts. I fell in love with those strands.

So I came up with my poor man's version. 10mm plump mostly metallic rice pearls strung on Beader's secret gold thread. I originally strung them on pink, but decided gold worked better. The clasp is SS.

Name:  IMG_3164.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  87.1 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

They're beautiful, and a good job with the photo too. I have a terrible time photographing my strand-- it always ends up looking washed out.

They look metallic to me, very nice. Those older treads had me chasing metallics maybe 5years ago. I wasn't to particular about the shape and bought some very egg shaped rather small but mostly metallic. Then I discovered that a lot of the colors in freshwaters don't look good on my rather pale complexion... Sometimes there is like a yellow cast to them and a whole strand of that clash against my skin. I don't have that problem with my rainbow strand, but then the pearls in it are really good. Every time I see those metallics, I start looking again.

Pearl dreams- you have one of those strands? Lucky you! I know they must be gorgeous.

Charlotta- I have the same issue with the lighter, golden metallics. My one 8mm strand just disappears on me. The one posted looks better on my skin but it might be because the pearls are bigger or that the shades are not as well matched giving some contrast. Your rainbow strand is a work of art- very special.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Lovely, and I love that you're sharing your strands! Now we need a neck shot of those freshies.
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Thank you Jersey Pearl! Here are some neck shots- sorry for the terrible Iphone pics and hope they don't come out too big. Next- I am still waiting for my little freshies and Apatite beads. I am starting to think they will never arrive.

Name:  IMG_3232.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3236.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3237.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  35.2 KB

They're here! Finally the Apatite and tiny freshies have arrived. I also bought a pair of brown FW tear drop pearls. They are kind of meh IMHO.

Name:  IMG_3265.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  71.9 KB

I am planning on working on these two strands. I made them to wear together but I don't like the amethyst beads with them. To me the beads look plasticy for lack of better term.

Name:  IMG_3261.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  44.8 KB

I think I am going to save the lovely Apatite beads for another project. I am liking the tiny pastel FWs for the silvery Tahitians and the grey freshies for the darker strand.

Name:  IMG_3268.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  67.3 KB

We'll see how they look put together.

Finished! Daylight has left so the pictures are not so great.

I like this look so much better.

Name:  IMG_3270.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3269.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  73.7 KB

You are so creative Gemandpearllover and your creations are always so lovely. I have a strand of neon blue apatites somewhere, I haven't done anything with them yet, except for putting them on wire. Also have a strand of ombre pink sapphires that I haven't done anything with. It will be fun to see what you create with your apatites. Might give me some inspiration.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

You have done a wonderful job on all of your creations ! I love the oval shapes and your circle Tahitians are great !!

Thank you Katbran!

I have been on a rice pearl kick. Here is a strand with FW natural color teardrop pearls and dyed greys. My knotting has improved since I started to use a push pin as an awl. The knots are much closer to the pearls.

My next interest is in natural color pondslime pearls. Not the Edison, bead nucleated type. I remember our Pattye posted a pic of her pondslime rope and I really loved the look of those unusual pearls. They aren't that popular so they aren't easy to find, but I found a few strands on Etsy that I hope are nice.

Name:  IMG_3310.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  93.8 KB

Well I tried to make a lariat necklace with those apatite beads and small freshies and it was a disaster. Some of the apatite beads had smaller drill holes and I tried to force one down the strand and it shredded the beader's secret. Won't be using those again for awhile.

Next projects: Beautiful Tahitian necklace and ugly pondslime pearl necklace.

I bought this Tahitian strand from Vic's fine jewelry (he has an Etsy shop) knowing I would replace some of the pearls. One was low luster and two have a hammered surface that I don't like( see pearl number five on the right of the pearl that is center in the picture). So I have been buying pearls to replace those. The strand is pictured with 2 replacement pearls and I have another one that I still need to receive. I am going to put an orbit clasp on it. The strand is 11-14.

Name:  IMG_3331.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3333.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  54.7 KB

Next is the ugly pearls that I find so charming. The first strands should arrive Monday from a US seller and the darker strand will arrive much later because it is from China. My hopes are that with 4 strands I might find enough decent pearls to make one strand. They are 9mm size.

Name:  il_794xN.1221904457_4a4u.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  il_794xN.1918826464_owmf.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  22.1 KB

It's snowing here. Big fluffy flakes. I really enjoy searching for pearls and stringing pearls during this time of year when we spend so much time inside.

Three strands of the natural color FW pearls have arrived and I love them. They are so charming in their imperfections. I made two temporary strands until the other pearls come in. The third strand I hand knotted and added some FW rice pearls. First picture was taken near a window - very late afternoon, early evening. The other three in a lightbox.

Name:  IMG_3420.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3428.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3434.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3435.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  50.4 KB
    Last edited by Gemandpearlover; 12-17-2019 at 01:52 AM.