Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Good to know about the lubricant-- thanks for posting, Bernadette!

Gail5, I expect the holes in the gold beads will be large enough not to be a problem with doubling back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Gail5, I expect the holes in the gold beads will be large enough not to be a problem with doubling back.
    I hope you are right about that.
    So I got all three strands on temporary threads and cleaned them. I also removed the bead tips from the clasp.
    I notice the following:
    The short strand has 81 pearls and is 28 cm unknotted
    The middle strand has 82 pearls (I took 2 very little pearls off because broken) and is 30.5 cm unknotted.
    The long strand has 100 pearls and is 32 cm unknotted.

This means that the middle strand has bigger pearls than the other two strands. In fact, looking closely you can see the the pearls in the middle of the middle strand are bigger. Also the pearls in the short strand are bigger on average than the pearls in the long strand.

Is it right that the strands are graduated in this way, so that the middle strand has the biggest pearls, the short strand the next biggest, and the long strand the smallest? Or should each strand have and equal division of pearl sizes? I wouldn't have really noticed this if I hadn't counted and measured, but now that I have, it seems quite noticeable.

Assuming each knot is 1 mm, the short strand will be 36.1 cm knotted
    The middle strand 38.7 cm knotted
    The long strand 42 cm knotted.
    (plus the additional length of around 5 cm per strand for the gold beads, bead knots, and clasp)

The difference between the short and the middle would be 2.6 cm, whereas the difference between the middle and the long would be 3.3 cm (since there are so many more pearls and hence knots on the long strand).

Do I need to move a little pearl from the long strand to the middle strand to even up the difference, or will the differences in the actual knots mean that this calculations are all imprecise anyway?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Hi Gail, I would balance the strands with the white gold beads and not move any of the pearls.

It may not sound complex to move around some pearls, however this type of pearl has inconsistent sizes/shapes. To add to the mix you are also working on someone else’s stringing we are all not the same, thread, tension and knotting.

In theory it may sound not so complex but in reality this type of work can take on a life of its own quickly.

It’s like the difference between theory and reality - in theory there is no difference. But in reality there certainly is.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

What I would do, is start with a knot (and maybe a small clip of some sort) and leave a good length of thread and start knotting the pearls. Do not put the clasp or the gold beads on yet. After you have knotted the strands, slip the end threads through the clasp ends and tie in a slip knot or bow, so you can try on the necklace. Then you'll be able to tell how many gold beads to add to each strand. Repeat the trying on, until you like the length of all three strands. Then attach to the clasp.

The little gold beads arrived but still waiting on the 0,6 French wire. In the meanwhile I am trying out knots with the gold beads. The holes are quite large so I made double knots. Those don't seem to slip into the holes. If I make single knots, the knots are invisible. Which option is better?

I like the gold beads without knots (or with the knots hidden inside the beads.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Definitely without the knots showing .

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Agreed! The knots are disproportionately large. Better for them not to show.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I agree with the others, knots inside the beads look best. The beads complement the pearls and are a proportionate size with the clasp.

If you want to move a few pearls, well, they are your pearls, why not if you feel it will adjust the length more to your liking. True, the calculations are somewhat imprecise. It's just the nature of working with pearls. I commend you for being thorough!

Recommend working with the shortest strand first to make sure that length is just right.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Hi Gail congratulations on getting to the finishing off stage with your pearls.

As the thread is very fine and the white gold beads have bigger holes I would recommend the first finishing off knot to be double, this will give your finishing off more strength, then continue with the hidden knots.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member judimcc6's Avatar

Oh my gosh! What a labor of love. I admire this whole process. Gail, you will officially become part of the pearl crazy group here after this dedicated project. Congratulations.
    Judi McCormick
    Judi McCormick Studios
    www.judimccormickjewelry.com

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. The project should be finished tomorrow and I will post a pic. In the end I was able to fit the 0.6 mm French wire into the clasp.

Here is the necklace. A bit crinkly after restring but hopefully it will smooth out. Thanks to all for help and encouragement. I still have a lot to learn.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Look at you! Well done. Very pretty necklace.

Wow! It looks great. You even got perfect spacing between the 3 strands, which is quite tricky to do. The crinkly will loosen up with wearing and get more drapey.