Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Thank you Kathbran!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

K18 white gold is used for the inner parts.
    What I've seen in particular is the "fish hook" piece or tongue of the box clasp made of white gold. The alloys make white gold somewhat stronger than yellow gold, and the resilience allows the clasp to retain its spring much longer than if it were made of silver.

Silver is a precious metal; historically sometimes valued more than gold. What has gold been worth since 1833? Check it out here:
    Yesterday gold was #1905.15. Sorry for going off on a tangent!
    Last edited by pattye; 10-25-2020 at 04:03 AM.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member linda.wald's Avatar

Pattye, to go off on a further tangent, silverware was made of silver because, as a precious metal, it was thought to protect you from poison. Probably gold would work as well, but when was silver more valued than gold?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    I'm just now seeing this post and think the comments made by Mikimoto are interesting. Why would anyone want to cover up real gold with silver? Usually, it is the other way around. The logo looks right, but I have mostly seen Mikimotos write out 750 for 18kt. That is how it is on my mother's clasp. So, this could be a clasp sold in another country where people prefer silver (?) which could explain why you don't see many of them. The close up of the pearls show some surface level bumpiness. I don't recall Mikis having these types of markings. I believe those types of blemishes are not really considered a flaw, but I don't believe they are consistent with Mikimoto quality that I'm used to seeing. That said, this could be a real Mikimoto strand- the pearls look to be very nice, but I would not purchase for the M name, but rather for the pearls.
    Back in Victorian times, silver was the only way to get a white metal look on high quality jewelry. This is before they were plating white gold (which is actually pale yellow) with rhodium, or using platinum. They would often put silver over gold to get the white metal look, and then it of course tarnished. Which is why antique jewelry often has that "antiqued" effect. I think the silver over gold thing was still used much later in some places after rhodium and platinum were well in place as the white metal of choice.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Tangents - You guys make this the thrilling site it is because of tangents! Stimulating!

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Tangents - You guys make this the thrilling site it is because of tangents! Stimulating!
    I agree
    And its a combo of curiosity, knowledge and a love to share with others...truly.
    Not something you see everyday and just anywhere. You ALL make this community and turn it into a Family.
    THANK YOU!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno