Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tahitian pearl size

Hi!

I am new to the pearl world, but have quickly become obsessed. I recently purchased a pair of Tahitian studs...my first pearl purchase as well as my first online purchase. I adore the overtone in real life (cannot capture it on camera) but I am somewhat disappointed by the size; they seem rather small.

Prior to buying I was looking for a larger size, however I could only find the exact overtone I wanted in the size ( 1mm smaller) that I finally ordered. I chose colour over size but now I am unsure of my choice.

It would be helpful if anyone had a moment to tell me what size they think the studs are, please. I will attach photos I took of them against a tape measure.

Name:  IMG_2408.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2408.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  96.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Tahitian pearls are usually sold in a size range, for example, 9-10mm. Both of these pearls are in the 9-10mm range.
    The left one is a little smaller than the right one, but both are within 9-10mm range.

(I used my own millimeter ruler to measure the photo of the pearls and of the ruler and then I used a ratio to calculate the size of the pearls in real life.)
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-23-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

Also, be aware that 1mm difference in diameter makes a larger difference in size (i.e. volume).
    See: Comparative pearl sizes-- how much difference does 1mm larger really make?

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Tahitian pearls are usually sold in a size range, for example, 9-10mm. Both of these pearls are in the 9-10mm range.
    The left one is a little smaller than the right one, but both are within 9-10mm range.

(I used my own millimeter ruler to measure the photo of the pearls and of the ruler and then I used a ratio to calculate the size of the pearls in real life.)
    Pearl Dreams-- you are the math whiz. Always impressive.

Thank you so very much!

I apologise for the multiple postings; I am pretty awful at technology and couldn't see my posts so I thought they hadn't gone up.

When I put them against the tape my eye told me they were 8mm. I looked through the internet to see if I could understand pearl size against ruler vs real life, but could only find information about measuring them with callipers, which I do not have.

I am very glad you say 9-10mm as that is what I had purchased, so a big phew as I was concerned that a smaller size had accidentally been sent! I was rather disappointed and confused.

Oh well now I know for future purchases I will only go for bigger sizes as that is what I like.

Thank you so very much for your help, it really has put my mind at ease!
    Last edited by Ithaki; 06-24-2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Typos

Ithaki,
    You couldn't see your posts right away because they had to be manually approved. We'd be inundated with spam if all new members' posts appeared automatically.

((2thdktr)) I've been thinking of you and wondering how the knotting is going. Has your busy schedule allowed you to tackle it yet?

Pearl Dreams I understand now, thank you. Future postings of mine won't be duplicates!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Ithaki,

Just a suggestion, at some point you might want to invest in a millimeter gauge, they are inexpensive (starting under $10) and will allow you to know for sure what size pearls you are have purchased and if they are the stated sizes (usually a range).
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Beadsmith makes one that is very inexpensive and surprisingly accurate lol I whipped it out at a South Sea Wholesaler booth in March , HK, and he said ' oh use mine, those digital ones aren't accurate .... then we compared the readings and they were exactly the same. He looked a bit sheepish that my 12$ Caliper did as well as his 350$ one.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

Also, I prefer plastic calipers to metal calipers for pearl. Less chance of scratching

Katbran, you motivated me to buy one. I've always wanted a digital one.

My husband has a micrometer but I hate to use it on pearls as it's brass.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I've got another one that I bought when I was feeling a bit embarrassed about my little plastic one. It's Japanese... Stainless... weighs too much and I can't take it in carryon luggage as it's considered a 'weapon' lol So... now I just use my plastic one. And good point about the scratching !

Calipers...a weapon!