Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl

Default New fireball... with cracks

Iíve just received a new fireball pendant from a reputable online vendor.. On the plus side, itís amazingly lustrous, iridescent, big (30mm long), I love the shape, and it wasnít terribly expensive for a pearl with all these good qualities (setting is sterling silver and CZ). BUT there are some significant cracks coming from the drill hole that werenít disclosed in the description (see final pic). From an aesthetic perspective theyíre not too big a problem (positioned at the top and back so I can partially see them looking down, but not apparent from any other angle when worn), but Iím a bit worried about durability. Also a bit miffed that they werenít mentioned in the description - I donít expect perfect, mikimoto-quality pearls, but I like to know what Iím getting. Tossing up whether to keep it or cop the international postage to return it. Any thoughts?
    Name:  204BC9F9-A345-485E-B2C2-409C54A5C438.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  156.6 KB
    Name:  E3D15AC5-CAE6-4DEB-82FF-063251F14FAD.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  140.7 KB
    Name:  FAFE899F-EF9F-455A-A5EC-D97DDD991558.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  DC5EE31D-7FC8-456B-AED6-850D23DB8CDF.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  116.6 KB

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh wow .. that's a pretty significant crack . I assume it happened when drilling , which can happen to anyone, but that's a large crack. I can see your concern, especially with it being a pendant and the possibility of it banging into something when you lean over . I think they should cover the shipping as it's a large flaw that wasn't disclosed. Though to be fair , I suppose it could have been a hairline crack that they didn't notice and it expanded due to being tossed about during shipping and possible temperature changes ?

This is why I always photograph my pearls from every direction and different light sources prior to shipping. Which country to you need to return it to ?

First-graft Pearl

Thanks Katbran. As you’d know, pretty much all international shipping from Australia is expensive. In this case, it’s to the UK. Auspost says $21, so it’s not totally prohibitive.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Have you contacted the seller yet? If they don’t feel they can resell it due to the cracks, they might tell you not to bother shipping it back.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I agree, contact the vendor and send the photos or link to this thread.

I understand the laws in the UK are very protective of buyers' rights, so there is that.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

I agree Katbran, a big crack!
    Mother of pearl is unstuck from the bead, now.
    I can't understand the seller to send such a wrong item.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Maybe it cracked during transport. I'm sure the vendor, if it's a reputable one, will help you with this. It's such a beautiful pendant otherwise, but I wouldn't want a crack like that either.

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

That’s a shocker Barry Crocker!!

If the dealer is reputable they would quickly understand the issue and take the appropriate steps to compensate you.

The photo’s clearly show the problem, and in my opinion returning the pearl shouldn’t be required, but if they do, it should be at their expense.

Hope you get this resolved quickly.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

It looks great on you, what a pity about the crack.
    Who knows what happens during shipping... I agree, contact the seller.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Agree with everyone...contact the seller. They will make this right...for what it's worth, aside from the crack, it is a lovely pearl!
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Oh, that's sad! Would you want to keep the pearl if offered a partial refund? Contact the seller and let them know what you feel would be a fair adjustment. Otherwise they should pay for return shipping and full refund.

Most likely this crack occurred when drilled and the pearl shouldn't have been offered for sale without full disclosure.

Please let us know how you resolve this.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Can you feel the crack when you run your fingernail over it?

I have a fireball with a crack and was told that it could not be drilled, so I suspect your crack happened after the fact and possibly during shipping?

I would keep it, myself -- it's beautiful -- but request a partial credit from the seller. I don't think I'd go to the trouble to return it.
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

First-graft Pearl

Thanks everyone for your advice. An update on the outcome: The vendor responded promptly and promised the crack was not there when they shipped it. I’ve bought from this vendor before without any problems, and it’s a long way from the UK to Australia, so this is entirely plausible. They have offered to send me a replacement pendant, and no return shipping required, so I am a happy customer. I’ve asked for a replacement in any colour other than peach. I’ll post photos when it arrives.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

A happy result! One suggestion: ask for photos of the replacement pendant before it is shipped. (Just in case you don't like it and prefer a refund, or a different pendant.)

Years ago I bought a mabe pendant on eBay that went lost in the mail. The seller offered to replace or refund; I accepted a replacement. But I didn't like it as well as the first one and in retrospect wished I'd gotten a refund.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

I'm glad this has been resolved & the seller is taking care of it. It's a beautiful pearl & made a gorgeous pendant but that's a substantial crack. It's a shame. Hopefully, the replacement will be just as beautiful.