Default Can you tell if these are SSP?

Hi, I bought these online from a seller based in Palawan Philippines. They are really lovely, heavy and cold to touch, with minimal fish bites, but I am no pearl expert so I can't tell if these are really ssp. They gave me certificate of authenticity for each pair but I still want to make sure. I know it's hard to tell from pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Did the seller say the gray pearls are SSP or did they say they are Tahitians?

I would love to see what else the seller is calling SSP. Sometimes pearls in colors that are not seen in SSP, but are seen in FWP (for example, peach or lavender) are listed falsely as SSP.

The seller called it SSP. It's not as dark as the Tahitians I usually see they are more silvery dark gray in person.

Tahitians can be silvery dark or light gray, and other colors. But so can dyed freshwater pearls.
    SSP are not that gray color.

What is the size of the pearls?

Do you feel you paid typical SSP prices for the pearls, or FWP prices? SSP are considerably more valuable than FWP. Sellers who sell SSP at FWP prices cannot make a living.

Anyone can write a certificate of authenticity.

Can you share a link to the seller's website?

Are they loose and undrilled?
    Can you post a close-up photo showing the fish bites?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Are they loose and undrilled?
    Can you post a close-up photo showing the fish bites?
    They are loose and undrilled, 10mm. When I received them I paid around 200USD for them, but I'm very new at buying pearls. I don't have the peals with me right now but this was a close up photo I received from the seller while I was inquiring.

Name:  received_474185766655106.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  56.9 KB

So you bought 4 loose gray pearls? All are 10mm-- and you got all 4 for $200?

What about the cream colored pearls?

The gray pearls-- are they all the same color, in person? Three of the four look like the same color, and no overtones. The 4th looks a little greener but that could be reflections of color from the photographer's clothing.

Real Tahitians are hard to match for color and overtones. (Mind you, pearls lacking overtones would be easier to match.)

If completely round, at that size they are likely Tahitians. FWP without beads inside would tend to be a little off round. FWP with beads inside are usually larger than 10mm.

But four mostly-clean 10mm Tahitians for $200 is a bargain, if that is what they are.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-11-2019 at 08:38 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Was this via eBay? I've noticed that sellers will use South Sea Tahitian to catch the search engine. And sellers who list 1,000 items can have sloppy descriptions.

To my untrained eye, the bottom right pearl looks like a Tahitian. I think the bottom left is too, because of the color. I have some gray freshwater earrings that look a lot like the top pair, but mine are button shaped, not round.

I think it's a fair price for loose, undrilled pearls. Do you like them?
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ennui View Post
    Was this via eBay? I've noticed that sellers will use South Sea Tahitian to catch the search engine. And sellers who list 1,000 items can have sloppy descriptions.

To my untrained eye, the bottom right pearl looks like a Tahitian. I think the bottom left is too, because of the color. I have some gray freshwater earrings that look a lot like the top pair, but mine are button shaped, not round.

I think it's a fair price for loose, undrilled pearls. Do you like them?
    No, not from Ebay. They have a website and FB page that is verified.

It's confusing for me as a newbie, when you search south sea pearls some are even selling multicolored ones, like pistachio green and these gray SSP.

I also looked at the South Sea Pearl Museum (in Palawan Philippines) website and saw these pearls which are close to what I have:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BqJZlMeH...d=gbobnzfvnogi , only they are labeled as Tahitian. With the price I got them, I don't mind if the gray ones are Tahitian as long as they are not FWP since I was looking for saltwater pearls. I like them though, they are very pretty regardless.
    Last edited by Pearlyssp; 06-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    So you bought 4 loose gray pearls? All are 10mm-- and you got all 4 for $200?

What about the cream colored pearls?

The gray pearls-- are they all the same color, in person? Three of the four look like the same color, and no overtones. The 4th looks a little greener but that could be reflections of color from the photographer's clothing.

Real Tahitians are hard to match for color and overtones. (Mind you, pearls lacking overtones would be easier to match.)

If completely round, at that size they are likely Tahitians. FWP without beads inside would tend to be a little off round. FWP with beads inside are usually larger than 10mm.

But four mostly-clean 10mm Tahitians for $200 is a bargain, if that is what they are.

Yes,I got them for $100 per pair. Champagne and gray, same price per pair.

They are round and not button shaped like most FWP, color for the gray does not have obvious overtones. In terms of size per pair, they look close enough, one's a bit smaller than the other but doesn't bother me that much.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

So the photo of the two Tahitian pair was just something that she sent you to look at but not what you bought ? You bought the cream pair and the grey pair.. for 100 /pair. Closer photos of the pairs you purchased would be better. But they could easily be real. Given the condition and size and average lustre I think the price is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    So the photo of the two Tahitian pair was just something that she sent you to look at but not what you bought ? You bought the cream pair and the grey pair.. for 100 /pair. Closer photos of the pairs you purchased would be better. But they could easily be real. Given the condition and size and average lustre I think the price is fine.
    These are the up close photo of the ones I bought. The photo of 4 pearls above was the one the seller sent me when I asked for an actual photo of on hand loose pearls. The imperfections (fish bites) are at the bottom, but I currently don't have the pearls with me so I can't show them. Name:  20190612_202006.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  42.7 KB Name:  20190612_202032.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  49.2 KB