Default May I have Feedback? What to purchase?

Hello!
    All my life, Iíve always wanted a pearl neckalcee. Now I can make this into a reality! I have a budget to make a one-time purchase.
    However, I am a newbie to the pearl world, and I know nothing. Iíve been reading articles and comparing inventory, but I still feel lost!
    May I have feedback? Iím looking to purchase a classic white 7.0-7.5 mm 16 Inc necklace. I donít care about the name brand but looking to purchase quality over name recognition.
    Iím 28, a librarian, and SUPER pale with natural black hair. I want to wear this every day, for every outfit and I like to make this an heirloom jewelry. So, this will be a once in a lifetime purchase.
    I have three options
    7.0-7.5 mm 16 Inch Natural White Hanadama Akoya Pearl Necklace from Pearl Paradise
    MIKIMOTO ēGrade A1 cultured Akoya pearls/18k white gold.
    White Akoya Pearl Necklace AAA Quality from Pure Pearls
    At this moment, I am leaning towards Natural White Hanadama Akoya Pearl Necklace from Pearl Paradise.
    But Iím not 100% this is the best quality of the three. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions?

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Not having bought any of these akoyas, I am not really the one to advise you, but I will only point you to this thread filled with photos of a natural white hanadama strand from PP. The photos are stunning!

Hanadama pearls from Pearl Paradise.com

That said, some people prefer pinked hanadamas rather than natural white. Pinked strands still look white against the skin and some people feel they flatter their skin tone more.

Maybe consider ordering 2 strands -- natural white hanadama from Pearl Paradise and AAA white from Pure Pearls (which would be pinked, as akoyas routinely are) and try both on to see which looks better against your skin? Both companies have a liberal return policy.

Be careful about ordering Mikimoto pearls. In Mikimoto stores, only store credit is given, not refunds.
    Online Mikimoto.com, the return policy states this:

Articles purchased through this website are accepted for refund or exchange if returned to our customer service center within 15 days. You may also return articles purchased through this Website to one of our four retail stores within 15 days for an exchange or store credit only. Please note that all returns and exchanges are subject to a quality control inspection before they are accepted. Items must be returned in their original condition and include the original sales receipt and packaging.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-07-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Welcome to the forum LadyBlue. Personally I would buy the hanadamas from Pearl Paradise. They are gorgeous, at least BWeaves hanadamas are. I have only vintage white akoyas. I think that with Mikimoto, much of what you pay are because of the name. Please do post photos when you decide.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Also, Miki pearl are lovely, but be aware that A1 is their lowest grade.

Just a thought: If you plan to buy earrings / studs at some point, consider buying them at the same time as the strand, so the color tone can be matched. If you buy earrings later and want them to match, you'd need to send the strand back for matching. Also, earrings should ideally be no smaller than the strand, and preferably (in my opinion) a little larger.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Also, Miki pearl are lovely, but be aware that A1 is their lowest grade.

Just a thought: If you plan to buy earrings / studs at some point, consider buying them at the same time as the strand, so the color tone can be matched. If you buy earrings later and want them to match, you'd need to send the strand back for matching. Also, earrings should ideally be no smaller than the strand, and preferably (in my opinion) a little larger.
    There are some who buy an 18" strand and have a couple of pearls removed for drop earrings. Just a thought. But yes, it's an excellent suggestion to buy earrings at the same time.

I'm a little leary of wearing Akoyas every day because of their thinner nacre. There are some beautiful freshwater choices that may be more durable. But I also understand the thrill of "once in a lifetime" jewelry. I second the notion of ordering two and selecting the strand that suits you best.
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I third the suggestion of buying a natural white and a normal top Akoya. If you are very pale the super white might not suit- as PD mentioned.

Or if your credit card will bear it... you could buy three.. the two Akoya and then a Freshadama white... the cost will probably be less.. and you can see what flatters you best. With the Freshadama I'd call or use the on line chat and tell them you want very round as judging from past comments here.. round isn't always the standard.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

LadyBlue, how exciting for you to look forward to your first important pearls! You will find them an essential part of your wardrobe and style forever! My own Librarian daughter has 2 strands of pearls she wears all the time: A fine gem quality strand of white freshwater pearls, and a lovely baroque multi-color Tahitian strand that she's found looks great with everything! I'd agree about trying 2 strands to see what suits your coloring best, or even 3 as Katbran suggested if you can. Have fun on your search for your perfect pearls.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi