Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Sea?

Default South Sea?

Hi! I love pearls but I am just starting to learn about them. My first few pieces were from Jewelmer because I was too afraid to buy anywhere else not knowing how to spot fake vs real. I recently tried buying from the pearl market but wanted to check opinions in this forum.

I was told that these are south sea pearls. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JaniceV; 06-03-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Hi Janice!

It's hard to tell from that photo. It could be a south sea pearl. What market did you buy from? Greenhills?

Hello! �� I got it from Market Market. Here is the second pearl.
    Name:  294F7AB4-9A76-474E-8B10-D81B0DC7380B.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by JaniceV; 06-03-2019 at 07:36 AM.

I don't see a second photo yet....

So, just curious, is Market Market a store, or an open air market? Are there many pearl sellers?

I see it now.

It is very shiny...in the way that freshwater pearls tend to be, but not so much south sea pearls.
    The color appears silvery in the photo.

It could be a dyed fwp, or it could be a cool white/silvery toned SSP with higher luster than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I don't see a second photo yet....

So, just curious, is Market Market a store, or an open air market? Are there many pearl sellers?
    Market Market is a mall with an area with many pearl sellers. It is similar to Greenhills.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I see it now.

It is very shiny...in the way that freshwater pearls tend to be, but not so much south sea pearls.
    The color appears silvery in the photo.

It could be a dyed fwp, or it could be a cool white/silvery toned SSP with higher luster than usual.
    Thanks for the reply! Probably best for me to look for someone experienced to assess in person and give me some education on what to look for.

Jewelmer is sooo expensive so wanted to other options to buy from.

II got a couple of other necklaces from a local jeweler. I have not bought them yet. I thought maybe I can get advice in this forum which one is south sea.

Name:  216BB9C0-A9CB-4BFE-9B44-A0DD732F1BA9.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  133.5 KB

Name:  DEED0F02-71B4-476A-9304-2F9BB5ABE8D4.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  94.5 KB

The peachy-pink pearl is not a SSP color; it is a color that occurs naturally in FWP (and very pretty!) Is the seller claiming it is a SSP?

Is the price of the two white pearls comparable to the price of the pink pearl? If so, I think you have your answer. And if she is claiming the pink pearl is SSP, then the seller is not being honest. In which case, assume everything she sells is FWP and only buy if you love the pearl regardless and the price is very good.

All are supposed to be SSP. The surface is not as smooth as the other two and is baroque. Agree with you the color is odd.... pretty but odd. The pink pearl is slightly higher in price. The middle pearl came from a different seller. All are set in 18k chain.

What colours do SSP come in?

White, silvery bluish-white, and shades ranging from cream to light yellow to medium gold to deep gold.

If she is telling you that pink pearl is a SSP, it is not.
    If the white pearls are priced lower than that pink pearl, they are FWP.

As for the chain, even if it's really 18K that proves nothing about the pearls. My grandmother had earrings that were 18K, and the stones set in them, that she bought as aquamarines, turned out to be glass.

I think you might ask yourself if you like the pearls, whatever they are, and feel they are worth the price being asked. If so, you could buy them anyway. FWP can be lovely.

Thanks for all the info. It is quite disappointing the seller was not transparent. Even if the pearls are pretty, it does not feel good to buy. I do want a white south sea floating necklace and so far it has been a challenge finding a good seller.

Yes, it's always disappointing being lied to! The seller knows what they are doing.
    I don't blame you for not wanting to buy from them.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Definitely do not buy from them. The White pearls could easily be bead nucleated Freshwater pearls. The pink one certainly is Freshwater.

If she is lying about the pearls, the gold might not actually be 18k either... anyone can buy a stamp.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Even if you don't plan to buy online, spending time browsing the online vendors you see mentioned here will help give you an idea about what the various type of pearls look like.