Default Fake Mikimoto pearl clasp?

These pearls donít seem like pearls at all. This clasp was on this necklace. So is this clasp fake? The pearls seem like glass but this clasp... Is this a commonly faked clasp? TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

The clasp appears to be a vintage mikimoto clasp, mixed feelings on the pearls-I reckon they are simulated and a wild guess Majorica
    pearls. The way they are peeling Is something I have seen on that type of pearl.

I see this in my repair business, clasps that have been harvested from something else and reused, all the time.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

The clasp looks real. The pearls look questionable. I know I have real Miki clasps on some non Miki pearls because my mother bought two strands of Mikis and had them strung together with a fancier clasp. She then reused the Miki clasps on other akoya pearls she had in her collection. The Miki clasps are very easy to work. If I ever decide to sell the strands, I will remove the Miki clasps to avoid any confusion.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 05-31-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I can't say whether or not the clasp is real or fake. I know there are fakes. The new clasps are only in 18K. There are some places that show the differences in fake and real clasps, so I'd google if I was concerned. As far as the pearls, there's no way to tell either. Those pearls have not been taken care of properly and the grime, sweat, perfume, or whatever have probably destroyed part of the nacre. Have you tried washing the pearls to see if there's some grime caked on the pearls instead of the nacre peeling? Beautiful pearls will loose their value if they are not cared for properly. Here's a good example of one of the many fake mikis: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Noblest-AAA....c100005.m1851

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Amti: Wow, that's interesting. I thought the AAA Mikis came with a clasp that had a diamond instead of a pearl. I would not have caught the 14K vs. 18K on the clasp. Good to know. I'm going to check my clasps when I get home.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

BWeaves, That is a fake Mikimoto. They never mention Mikimoto in the auction because it isn't a Miki. However, anyone who knows Miki can look at that and see that the clasp is an almost identical copy. It could be the picture is a real Miki but I can guarantee you that this is not what you'd receive when you get your pearls. I have seen silver versions of this clasp too.