Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I use a small pan, a small fine strainer and put the pearl into the strainer.. then into the water in the pan. Heat till starting to boil. Bring the strainer out and quickly grab the pearl with a tea towel and use fine nose pliers to gently pull and wiggle the finding. You need to be fast and be careful as it's hot. Do not twist hard.

Then repeat the boiling water... by adding cool water , then the pearl in the strainer, when it boils... pull it out and work fast. Repeat if necessary. You can tell when the seal is broken as you will see a tiny bubble escaping from the drill hole. You can use Attack if it's stubborn but then go back to cool water and boil. This has always worked... I read it here in PGF .. a pearl farmer said this is how he removes the back.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I use a small pan, a small fine strainer and put the pearl into the strainer.. then into the water in the pan. Heat till starting to boil. Bring the strainer out and quickly grab the pearl with a tea towel and use fine nose pliers to gently pull and wiggle the finding. You need to be fast and be careful as it's hot. Do not twist hard.

Then repeat the boiling water... by adding cool water , then the pearl in the strainer, when it boils... pull it out and work fast. Repeat if necessary. You can tell when the seal is broken as you will see a tiny bubble escaping from the drill hole. You can use Attack if it's stubborn but then go back to cool water and boil. This has always worked... I read it here in PGF .. a pearl farmer said this is how he removes the back.
    This reminds me of the fable about boiling a frog. Start with cool water.

I may try this on my orphan earring, because I could use the pearl in a cage pendant. (I did try the microwave method without success.)
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

Thank you for the additional info, Katbran. I will see if I can find some Attack online—I haven’t seen it locally.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Attack is sold on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Grobet-Attack...YE/ref=sr_1_1?

Note, you need to use it in a well ventilated place. Consider storing it in a shed when not in use. It is volatile and I found that my can evaporated almost entirely over months, even after I screwed the cap tightly after use.

I am ordering another can myself, but this time I plan to improve the seal of the cap with teflon tape (a.k.a. plumber's tape), which is a non-adhesive tape that you place over the threads before screwing the cap on. Buy a roll at any hardware store or even Walmart; it's cheap.

I may also improve the seal of the cap by covering it after each use with a length of Parafilm, a stretchy plastic film used in labs to seal beakers. I buy this on eBay for other uses and already have it on hand.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Attack is sold on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Grobet-Attack...YE/ref=sr_1_1?

Note, you need to use it in a well ventilated place. Consider storing it in a shed when not in use. It is volatile and I found that my can evaporated almost entirely over months, even after I screwed the cap tightly after use.

I am ordering another can myself, but this time I plan to improve the seal of the cap with teflon tape (a.k.a. plumber's tape), which is a non-adhesive tape that you place over the threads before screwing the cap on. Buy a roll at any hardware store or even Walmart; it's cheap.

I may also improve the seal of the cap by covering it after each use with a length of Parafilm, a stretchy plastic film used in labs to seal beakers. I buy this on eBay for other uses and already have it on hand.
    PDs, I've tried covering attack with similar plastic based products and they all are dissolved (or made gooey). The only thing that works is double sealing in a metal container. I'm sure glass or ceramic would work also. I've also wrapped the can in foil. None of it really works all that well against evaporation.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

I just ordered some Attack—thanks so much, PD! And thanks for the tips on storing it. We have Teflon tape in the household, and I’ll look for Parafilm as well. I could also use these products to thoroughly seal some acetone that typically escapes.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    PDs, I've tried covering attack with similar plastic based products and they all are dissolved (or made gooey). The only thing that works is double sealing in a metal container. I'm sure glass or ceramic would work also. I've also wrapped the can in foil. None of it really works all that well against evaporation.
    JP, what do you mean by double-sealing in a metal container? What do you use?

I'm interested as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I'm interested as well!
    Something like a metal canister with a lid. I have an old tin (I think) canister that I use. I found it in an antique store for $1. They were used to store flour or sugar. You could also use a coffee can and make an aluminum foil lid. I also wrap the Attack can in foil as well, before putting it into the canister. Just make sure to open it outdoors.

Thank you, Jersey Pearl. Interesting that double “wrapping” using metal slows evaporation.

So, an old milk can would work.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

I always puts the pearl and finding in a glasjar with some aceton. It always works for me. Haven't ever gotten to the hot water stage. This is industrial aceton, not for nailpolish removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta View Post
    I always puts the pearl and finding in a glasjar with some aceton. It always works for me. Haven't ever gotten to the hot water stage. This is industrial aceton, not for nailpolish removal.
    Typically, how long do you leave the pearl in the acetone, Charlotta? It just seems so wrong to pearls in acetone, LOL! But I will get over it...

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Cricketbug, I didn't like it first, but apparantly it doesn't hurt the pearls. Sometimes I just leave in there for half an hour, then trying to pull very lightly in the findings with a plier. If it isn't loose, then I put it back in the aceton again. Usually they get loose quiet quickly. Only time I had a problem was with a pair of earrings that I had glued on myself... I even gotten out a piece of broken silver from inside a pearl, the pearl fell off a ring and left half a pin inside. But after half an hour in aceton it fell out. I think attack is a kind of aceton as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CricketBug View Post
    Thank you, Jersey Pearl. Interesting that double “wrapping” using metal slows evaporation.
    I'm not sure it really slows the evaporation, but It seems to work. Just be sure that whatever you store it in is either metal or glass (I haven't tried ceramic) and has no plastic or rubber seal.